Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So here is a question for all the wrenches and techs out there. What is the difference in performance of the multiple exhaust designs such as 2-2 and 2-1?

Before the Cross Roads all my bikes had 4-1 exhausts. I would think that the 2-1 would be more focused on torque and midrange power with the 2-2 would be focused more on the higher rpm horsepower. The reason for my thinking is that the meeting of the two exhausts would create more back pressure and the 2-2 would be more free flowing.

What got me thinking about this is that there are now two types of full exhaust systems out there for the Cross series bikes, the Bassani 2-1 and the Freedom Performance 2-2 true duals.

What do you think? Feel free to cite tech sources and studies if you so choice.

·
Registered
537 Posts
2 into 1's are generally better for torque and low to mid range as stated before. They also help break up the back "wave" of the exhaust. That's why the better 2 into 2's have a small crossover. I personally like the "jake brake" sound 2 into 1's give on hard decel!

·
Registered
690 Posts
As stated above, the 2 into1 design is about low to mid range torque. Where most of us do our riding. You'll notice the stock exhaust is for all intents and purposes a 2 into 1 design. Here is an excellent read on exhaust design. I realize that it is for HD, but the info is still valuable.

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/exhausttech.htm

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
... You'll notice the stock exhaust is for all intents and purposes a 2 into 1 design...
Yes, what he said. And for non-believers, before you roll out the guillotine, start your motor and stand behind each of your exhaust mufflers. One of them moves about 80-90% of the CO. ;)

·
Registered
690 Posts
Yes, what he said. And for non-believers, before you roll out the guillotine, start your motor and stand behind each of your exhaust mufflers. One of them moves about 80-90% of the CO. ;)
Well, I guess what I was referring to was my bike. Or, non touring models. thumb up

·
Registered
554 Posts
One thing left out is the that 2 into 2 can be tuned for more midrange power ,a 2 into1 has a broader power range and are more flexible a 2 into 2 is more affected by other factors such as pipe length, header size etc. You can make a 2 into 2 with good midrange.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts