Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my new Magnum I have noticed that the good majority of my exhaust exits the left side of the bike.

Would there be any benefit to bending the diverter so it is more even out of both sides while I am installing new pipes?

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
no just leave it alone, been there done that, redoing it now.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You closed yours off didn't you? I was wanting to make them both have close to the same flow

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
no i drilled most of it out from the backside which also means you have to remove the cat, which i did. i have more coming out of the right side now by a little, the tips are about equally sooty and the heat is about the same, more sound from the right though. i am putting a new centersection back in though, so cats are going back in along with the full diverter

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
You don't get more flow out of the left side. Above an idle it flows more out the right

hmm, my left muffler, until i opened the diverter, got hotter and sootier and more sound out of the left. right tip stayed fairly clean and wasnt cool but wasnt hot either

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I only noticed it at idle on a cold morning I will just let it be!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
hmm, my left muffler, until i opened the diverter, got hotter and sootier and more sound out of the left. right tip stayed fairly clean and wasnt cool but wasnt hot either
Less flow, and slower more turbulent column means exhaust sits in the pipe longer, and transferring heat better. Also since it was transferring all the heat. The soot would also collect. Look at the exit angle, bends, and pipe shapes used in the crossover. The design is about the look of 2 pipes, and moving sound over to the left. Not about getting exhaust out

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Less flow, and slower more turbulent column means exhaust sits in the pipe longer, and transferring heat better. Also since it was transferring all the heat. The soot would also collect. Look at the exit angle, bends, and pipe shapes used in the crossover. The design is about the look of 2 pipes, and moving sound over to the left. Not about getting exhaust out

ok so for my understanding of this, why did the soot even out and temps even out from left to right? now both tips soot up fairly evenly, and my left muffler is no longer much hotter like it was before?

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
ok so for my understanding of this, why did the soot even out and temps even out from left to right? now both tips soot up fairly evenly, and my left muffler is no longer much hotter like it was before?
Icnrease flow through left, and decrease flow through right. Equalized things a bit.
Think about a thermostat in a cooling system. It's primary job is to keep temps constant. However it's secondary job is to restrict flow to promote heat transfer to the radiator. If the coolant flows to fact. The radiator does not have enough time remove the heat. Same thing happens with exhaust flow

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Icnrease flow through left, and decrease flow through right. Equalized things a bit.

Think about a thermostat in a cooling system. It's primary job is to keep temps constant. However it's secondary job is to restrict flow to promote heat transfer to the radiator. If the coolant flows to fact. The radiator does not have enough time remove the heat. Same thing happens with exhaust flow

gotcha, on some of it, but how did I increase flow to the left by cutting off the end of the diverter? wouldnt that increase the flow to the right side?

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Ah....I misunderstood what you had done, but it still comes down to volume of gasses and the speed in which they travel through the pipe

gotcha, and im not trying to argue, just trying to understand and learn

·
Registered
87 Posts
I never noticed the more heat or soot coming out of my left side (Looking at the back of the bike towards the handlebars). Now I put on new Vance & Hines slip-ons and the left side seems to have a lot more soot and the air coming out seems to be hotter. So from reading this thread, that is normal. Is that correct?

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I never noticed the more heat or soot coming out of my left side (Looking at the back of the bike towards the handlebars). Now I put on new Vance & Hines slip-ons and the left side seems to have a lot more soot and the air coming out seems to be hotter. So from reading this thread, that is normal. Is that correct?

yes it seems normal

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks for the info.!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts