Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well all excited when my exhaust finally got here today! Had bike all torn apart ready for it!

Mistake 1....I did not check to see if O2 plugs were snug from factory. RESULT...I thought there was a exhaust leak from gasket...tighten probably way too much, took apart again, then decided to look at plugs! Im a dope! FURTHERMORE, one fell out in my driveway somewhere. Gotta wait to a.m. to find! No biggie, just through in o2 sensor until I find or order new plugs!

Mistake 2...If the screw dont fit, the threads are not legit! Put wrong bolt in wrong thread where exhaust hangs...will retap sooner or later!

Mistake 3...Again, if the screw dont fit, the threads are not legit! Putting gas tank back on, on one of the front bolts, as I was tightening, I felt it was going on a bit hard...well real hard...so hard I FRIGGIN snapped it! Bolt is in frame protruding about 1/8". I can get visescipts on them, but will mare up paint...plus it wont really turn. NOT SURE WHAT TO DO...drill out, and retap?????? Any ideas?

OTHERWISE, the hacker rippers sound sweet!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
If you cannot grasp the remaining bolt portion protruding from the frame, your best option is drilling a starter hole and using and easy out. Use a very good, strong, and sharp drill bit to drill the hardened steel of the bolt. Go slowly with the drill. Use plenty of lubricant. Prior to starting to drill and use the easy out, use penetrating oil to try to lube the broken bolt.

If you are a good welder or have access to someone who is, you may be able to weld a longer shaft onto the broken bolt.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I suggest you do not ever do anymore of your own wrenching , leave it to a professional .:D

·
Registered
471 Posts
If you cannot grasp the remaining bolt portion protruding from the frame, your best option is drilling a starter hole and using and easy out. Use a very good, strong, and sharp drill bit to drill the hardened steel of the bolt. Go slowly with the drill. Use plenty of lubricant. Prior to starting to drill and use the easy out, use penetrating oil to try to lube the broken bolt.

If you are a good welder or have access to someone who is, you may be able to weld a longer shaft onto the broken bolt.

G'day,

Vinish
Some easy out kits include left handed drill bits, also center punch the broken shaft as close to center as possible, if you drift off drilling it out for the easy out the job just gets harder.
On my old job we would even go so far as to put dry ice on the broken stud to contract the bolt threads as much as possible. Good luck

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
Ha ja ha super funny post ... Mate hope you never have to install another thing again .... If you do, please get a wrenching supervisor, put him on a chair, feed him beer all day and let him video you ?? Haaaaa

Anyway hope that everything worked out and you will not loose any parts on the way ?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well....

I grabbed and extractor kit (larger one)....snapped it! Luckily I was able to get extractor out!!!!!!! Bought a helicoil set too for it...but ended up just drill out the old screw, retapped with tap, and was enough to grab screw good still. Only bad thing was tap couldnt reach to bottom of hole, so threads did not go as far...just cut screw a 1/8" shorter!

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Had similar problems with my bike it seems every bolt I take out of the frame comes out real hard and I have to chase the threads with a tap before putting them back. Its almost like they used a worn tap to thread the holes with and forced the bolts in at the factory. I bought my bike new and no one else has touched it. After running a tap through I've never had another problem. Bolts go in and out like they should

·
Registered
971 Posts
Had similar problems with my bike it seems every bolt I take out of the frame comes out real hard and I have to chase the threads with a tap before putting them back. Its almost like they used a worn tap to thread the holes with and forced the bolts in at the factory. I bought my bike new and no one else has touched it. After running a tap through I've never had another problem. Bolts go in and out like they should
Don't do that too many times. Threads deform slightly when torqued. Running a tap and die on them doesn't move them back, they remove material which you can see on the tools. You are in fact thinning out the metal and weakening the threads. Do it enough times and you will have not much left and a proper torque amount will strip out everything. The only fix then is to drill them out and move up a size.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Don't do that too many times. Threads deform slightly when torqued. Running a tap and die on them doesn't move them back, they remove material which you can see on the tools. You are in fact thinning out the metal and weakening the threads. Do it enough times and you will have not much left and a proper torque amount will strip out everything. The only fix then is to drill them out and move up a size.
Hear what your saying but I only had to do it once. Been a mechanic most of my life and know my way around a machine shop pretty good. Threads only needed to be cleaned up didn't really remove much material. Not really sure of the cause but it definitely came from the factory like that. My tank has been on and off too many times to count and never had another problem

1 - 11 of 11 Posts