Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to get the Vic tri-oval exhaust in the spring. Was thinking about converting to black pipes instead of chrome. Are the heat shields on the pipes exiting the cylinders to the collector easily removed and replaced, or are they permanently affixed to the pipes at assembly.

·
13,293 Posts
The heat shields are held in place with a metal clamps. You can cut off the clamps several different ways. Then go to hardware store and buy new hose clamps

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks . . .

I'm assuming the tri-oval mufflers are just that, and does not include any of the header pipe coming from the jugs. Can I purchase the factory black shields and clamp them on the existing pipes, so its all black like the other factory blacked out models?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Tri-ovals are muffler only. You use the stock heat shields for the pipes. I just took a complete, black exhaust off my 2014.PM me if you are interested in the heat shields. WD muscle baffled mufflers too.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks...

You answered my question. I don't know where the PM messaging thing is. I've only looked at the tri-ovals on the accessory website. They offer a chrome version and a black version, so I'm not clear on what shields are re-used or no longer used. I'm still in the imagination phase. I'm two hundred miles from nearest dealer, and I'm the only XCT within three counties, so I have no local resource to kick the idea around with as far as parts and pieces go. Bike is in hibernation till some time in March. The chrome pieces are fine. My previous bike was all black and chrome. Spent more time keeping it shiny than getting it dirty. I like a clean bike but figured blacked out pipes would be a little more forgiving as far as maintaining the sparkle factor and curbside appeal. Still brainstorming. sheets

·
13,293 Posts
sheets
click on the persons name and you'll get a link to send them a message

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks, vj

... figured it out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
@ Sheets... what did you end up doing with your exhaust? Did you have to get black heat shields? I just picked up a Magnum X-1 and it has black out pipes and the right heat shield has a few scratches on it. I want to replace it and was wondering if you did the same and how easy/hard it was to replace. I know this thread was last posted on 6 years ago but was hoping you are still on..

Thanks
output.jpg

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I left the chrome heat shields in place. Added the black Tri Ovals with chrome tips. Still some shiny bits on each end of the muffler, but with black pipes there are two fewer things to keep polished. Black pipes blend well with the black engine and seat and inner-fairing parts.
Exhaust - TriOval.jpg

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,846 Posts
I left the chrome heat shields in place. Added the black Tri Ovals with chrome tips. Still some shiny bits on each end of the muffler, but with black pipes there are two fewer things to keep polished. Black pipes blend well with the black engine and seat and inner-fairing parts. View attachment 251665
Ditto here but all black tri ovals.
I hate chrome on my sunset red but I like it on your color combo bike.

I've thought of just rattle can the front covers black. Of course powder coat better but saw plenty of old posts of people just spraying them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
@ Sheets.. The black and chrome work pretty well together. Looks good! I think I'm gonna try to sand the shield down and paint it with some high temp paint first. If that doesn't turn out, I'll go about replacing it.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,846 Posts
@ Sheets.. The black and chrome work pretty well together. Looks good! I think I'm gonna try to sand the shield down and paint it with some high temp paint first. If that doesn't turn out, I'll go about replacing it.
Post up how well that turns out. It's been on my mind but my thought is that the black won't match up. I have the same thought with powder coating though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had mine powdercoated, the heat shields on the header pipes I had to cut the bands off and used hose clamps to put them back on.
Not a big deal and not very expensive either.

Sent from my SM-T537V using Tapatalk

·
13,293 Posts
X1Rider
On the backside of the heat shield if it black try barbeque paint. Then if it doesn't match your out nothing

1 - 15 of 15 Posts