Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I have a few questions regarding exhaust leaks as I attempt to identify and remove them if they exist.

1. How do you know if you have an exhaust leak?

2. Would extreme high values in a cell(s) of the fuel map on the PC-V be an indicator? If so, what is extreme?

3. What test can you do to see if you have an exhaust leak?

Thanks in advance for indulging me.

dbarnes

·
13,031 Posts
try tighting all bolts when cold go for ride come back and check again

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
The easiest way to spot leaks is to look for bluing feathering out from the pipe connections.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
The way I do it is to get some wd-40 and spray the exhaust joints and manifold area while the bike is running. If the idle sputters or changes then you know that their is a leak in that area.

·
13,031 Posts
Vic has cheap flanges and cheaper studs.
You have to check bolts more then once

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I just ordered the WD stainless studs , and a set of stainless , serrated nuts from Fastenal ... Going with the Lloyds gaskets , and Slash exhaust (Black ceramic) . thumb up

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Be careful with the stainless, they tend to bind up in the aluminum and with the heat like at the exhaust sieze together.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Gall is the word i was thinking of, my 78cb750 chopper now has 8, 10mm exhaust studs instead of 8mm like it came with because of galling SS exhaust hardware.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Yea , you need to neversieze them .... With the gold high heat stuff cheers

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I did, used the standard gray stuff and hi temp copper stuff.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
And it wouldn't come apart ??? Please don't tell me this ...

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
My case was bolts through the flange onto the head, they siezed onto the aluminum head and pulled the threads out. But the SS nuts may sieze to the SS studs also, they dont seem to like the heat.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Ok , thanks man , appreciate the info .

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've got some Nord Lock washers on mine. They were originally suggested for use on battery terminals because of how vibration resistant they are. After watching their video I'm sold on how they work. I figure the same logic probably applies to the exhaust in order to keep a tight seal in place once you crush the gasket in place.

I've also got a spare set of Lloyds gaskets ready to go for the next time I decide to remove the pipes (don't know why I would, but it is good to have a spare set of gaskets ready just in case). I've always understood trying to reuse these gaskets is where most run into issues.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts