Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I'm no mechanic so don't laugh too hard when you read this question. Let's say I know someone with a welder. Can the exhaust pipes be cut in half, gutted and welded back together to basically make a straight pipe.

I already have the Stage 1 Kit so are there any drawbacks to this. I want loud pipes but I dont want to ruin the bike or the performance just to do it myself but it seems like gutting them would give me what I want.........NOISE!!!!!!

Advice Please!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Your performance would totally go away......not to mention, it would be way more cost effective to just purchase the correct pipe that has a perforated core bafffle for high flow and loud sound!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sure, it'll give you noise. But your low end tq is going to fall flat. if it was as simple as gutting stock exhausts, aftermarket companies wouldn't exist. spend the money and do it right. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank guys. That's why I figured I would ask before actually trying it.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
give me what I want.........NOISE!!!!!!

Advice Please!!!
What do your neighbors, the non riders who vote and most of your fellow motorcyclist want? It ain't your noise. It's self centered yahoos like you that got that law passed in California that made aftermarket and modified pipes illegal. And we all know, that as California goes, so goes the rest of the nation. This world is not about you and what you want, especially if it pisses off everyone around you. Grow up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What do your neighbors, the non riders who vote and most of your fellow motorcyclist want? It ain't your noise. It's self centered yahoos like you that got that law passed in California that made aftermarket and modified pipes illegal. And we all know, that as California goes, so goes the rest of the nation. This world is not about you and what you want, especially if it pisses off everyone around you. Grow up.
WOW!!! Un-bunch your panties homeboy! It wasn't people like him that got aftermarket pipes illegal in CA, it was the earth saving, tree hugging eco-hipsters that voted for it. And it was all about cleaner emissions, not so much about noise! In order for motorcycles to produce cleaner emissions, they have to plug them up with Catalytic converters and such, which cause the sound of our exhausts to suffer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
rsmarsh,
Look at my posts under "coss country exhausts". I posted pics of how I modified my mufflers, and there is a link to some youtube video on what they sound like.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
WOW!!! Un-bunch your panties homeboy! It wasn't people like him that got aftermarket pipes illegal in CA, it was the earth saving, tree hugging eco-hipsters that voted for it. And it was all about cleaner emissions, not so much about noise! In order for motorcycles to produce cleaner emissions, they have to plug them up with Catalytic converters and such, which cause the sound of our exhausts to suffer.
Oh? And the loud pipe crowd had nothing to do with that? Get real. Many jurisdictions are already enforcing anti loud pipe laws by pulling a loud bike over and checking to see if the pipes have the stampings to show they've met federal requirements. That will eventually put the kabosh on the aftermarket pipe industry. Groups that won't police themselves will have the police policing them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WOW!!!!:ltr::crzy::ltr:....you know what they say...opinions and assholes

·
Registered
14 Posts
Oh? And the loud pipe crowd had nothing to do with that? Get real. Many jurisdictions are already enforcing anti loud pipe laws by pulling a loud bike over and checking to see if the pipes have the stampings to show they've met federal requirements. That will eventually put the kabosh on the aftermarket pipe industry. Groups that won't police themselves will have the police policing them.
It is illegal to profile motorcycles only for noise violations. Every state i know of that has tried it has failed in court, as states do not have to funds to fight us riders in court all because "yahoos like you" start menstruating every time you hear someones exhaust. And it will be the EPA that puts the "kabosh" on the aftermarket exhaust industry. Police are suppose to solve crimes, not waste our tax dollars responding to your noise complaints and standing at check points.

·
Registered
129 Posts
RE: Loud Pipes

Well at the risk of making enemies I will put my 2 cents in! I don't know if drag pipes is what you were looking for or a tuned exhaust that has a thoatier hear me coming sound? I too want a louder exhaust for my bike (call me selfish I guess). I am looking to be louder than stock, but not necessarily obnoxious. I guess I come from the big block dual exhaust days. I have asked this on a different thread, but this thread seems to have people with strong opinions so I will try again here. What brand of aftermarket pipes provides quality, ease of installation (relatively speaking), and easy tuning along with a hear me coming sound (strictly a safety thing not trying to be selfish LOL). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well at the risk of making enemies I will put my 2 cents in! I don't know if drag pipes is what you were looking for or a tuned exhaust that has a thoatier hear me coming sound? I too want a louder exhaust for my bike (call me selfish I guess). I am looking to be louder than stock, but not necessarily obnoxious. I guess I come from the big block dual exhaust days. I have asked this on a different thread, but this thread seems to have people with strong opinions so I will try again here. What brand of aftermarket pipes provides quality, ease of installation (relatively speaking), and easy tuning along with a hear me coming sound (strictly a safety thing not trying to be selfish LOL). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Being new to Victory bikes, i'm just running what came on my vegas, which is the Ness radius pipes. My best friend works for RUSH Racing Products tho and I will be putting on their system as soon as their R&D gets done with it. RUSH's Harley exhaust is bad ass! Deep, throaty rumble with out being obnoxious. Although it'll probably piss off RICZ!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Re: Rush

Just investigating now so let me know how that works out. Probably a winter mod. Send me a message when and if you get it worked out. As far as pissing people off well that comes with the territory. Better to be pissed off than pissed on I always say.

·
Registered
693 Posts
There aren't a ton of options right now. I'm actually seeing probably a 50/50 split of people buying aftermarket slip ons versus modding (not just gutting) the stockers.

Like said, you'll lose all your back pressure if you simply gut and there goes your torgue. Best bet is to find as many in your area that you can hear in person because audio clips will only do you so good.

When it comes to pipes, everyone's opinion varies and their reasons (real or rationalized) are widely varied. Typically, swapping pipes is to accomplish one (or more) of three things: Different look, different sound, better performance. Rank them in your order of importance and go from there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just investigating now so let me know how that works out. Probably a winter mod. Send me a message when and if you get it worked out. As far as pissing people off well that comes with the territory. Better to be pissed off than pissed on I always say.
RUSH plans to have them finished by winter and available for 2012.
My buddy said they are starting with the Cross Roads, Cross Country, and the Vision. Then going to Vegas, Kingpin, Jackpot, etc.

·
Registered
161 Posts
You mentioned that you are using the stage 1 pipes. If you still have the stock pipes you can run a 1 1/8" holesaw through them to open them up. I don't know if this mod will be louder than the stage 1 pipes and I don't think anyone has posted on this issue or if sound clip exists. Maybe someone will chime in that has done this.

·
Registered
183 Posts
RUSH plans to have them finished by winter and available for 2012.
My buddy said they are starting with the Cross Roads, Cross Country, and the Vision. Then going to Vegas, Kingpin, Jackpot, etc.
Yes sir in 16 guade material with ceramic coating on the inside to further reduce temps. With interchangable baffles so you can be neighbor worthy, or rally worthy. cheers Can't wait for these. I wish Rush would Rush

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well I like my modified pipes, sounds like a motorcycle now, MPG actually went up little. They're not loud enough to be obnoxious, besides, I don't have any neighbors anyway! :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Until the Rush comes out for comparision the D&D exhaust is my favorite. Alittle more expensive but well worth it, I should have mine on Monday. They got a real deep (big block) sound and its sweet and not loud and obnoxious like a straight pipe. Just the right amount louder than the stage 1s . I love motorcycles and have been riding 40+ year and I can't stand straight pipes. Every redblooded american loves the sound of a nice muscle car and thats what this gives. They will not rattle your neighbors windows out like say a Pro Pipe 2 into 1 with a 2 1/4 baffle. Makes more torque than other pipes as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It is illegal to profile motorcycles only for noise violations. Every state i know of that has tried it has failed in court, as states do not have to funds to fight us riders in court all because "yahoos like you" start menstruating every time you hear someones exhaust. And it will be the EPA that puts the "kabosh" on the aftermarket exhaust industry. Police are suppose to solve crimes, not waste our tax dollars responding to your noise complaints and standing at check points.
This is the only reason I intend to keep my stock pipes, so JUST IN CASE they pass something stupid like what California has in Oklahoma (I doubt it short of cuts in federal tax funds) - I can slap them back on should I have to and not be out the $$$$ that it'd cost to buy them all over again.

At least here we don't have inspections. Used to, but it was abolished...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts