Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So curious if anyone could give me some info here. Just picked up a 2011 Cross Roads and would like it if it sounded better than my wife's sewing machine. :)

I have experience with pipes, but they'll all have been full sets. I've never bothered with a processor since the backfire was so minimal and seldom, plus I never did anything else. Probably going to do the same thing here. But, I have no experience with Slip-Ons. Does the flash HAVE to be done? Or does that just make things run cleaner? And does it matter what I do? i.e. if I have someone just recore vs getting something like RPWs?

Also, I don't plan on doing anything else really, performance wise outside of maybe a better filter (but not a different intake). Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
554 Posts
The answers you may read will run the gamut of yes, no, maybe etc..

Here are my .02 cents. With just slip ons you do not need to do anything. It will run better with a flash, or fuel controller. You will see even more improvement with the fuel controller if you add a filter kit. Still don't have to have one but it does perform better.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's kind of what I was figuring, but wanted to make sure it won't cause any issues. If I do it, I'll put them on and get a better filter. Then, I'll get it flashed down the road.

·
13,003 Posts
What does a flash cost and is it worth it or would a guy be father a head by saving the money and buying a controller :confused:

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What does a flash cost and is it worth it or would a guy be father a head by saving the money and buying a controller :confused:
From what I've seen, it's roughly $175 with labor, give or take. At that price, I may just look for a used controller myself so that if I do ever make mods, it's easier. Depends on if you can make up your mind on exhaust/intake readily. And if you're going to do anything like Cams and such...controller.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I did mine as a package with the pipes, ECU and the filter kit. I also paid $0 since I had an accessory deal for $1k and I got the lock and ride back rest as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Okay, I have to ask.

I've read a few posts that mention "controller and "flash"". Is a controller like in an aircraft as in a digital fuel control? And never heard of flash.

·
Registered
25 Posts
yes a controller is digital (check out a power commander - PCIII or PCV). It controls your air to fuel ratio. These controllers allow users to download previous settings (maps) to run or to be custom tuned to fit your bike. I had a custom tune done on the dyno on my old 2008 GSXR and it ran better than a common setup map i got from dyno jets site.

I guess my point is if you plan on doing more mods, the fuel controller seems to be the best route, since it allows your bike to run better than stock with a downloaded map, and even gives you the ablity to get a custom map done, which imo is the best way to go bc you get the most out of it (which can also be changed when new mods are done).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts