Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Tri-Oval exhaust loud ? Do they eliminate the 'cat' ?

Yes I know they are pricey , but I like the look better than those 5" cans that I have now. And while these aren't [tooo-loud] they do have a sharp'crack' to them...I prefer a more mellow / deep sound.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Cats will remain in place. They're needed for back pressure. Why spend $1,000.00 when you can get a better set of slip-on's for $600.00? (I'm speaking of D&D's) You can get them wrapped, unwrapped, slash cut, straight cut, black, chrome, and imho is a better performing exhaust for just over half the money.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I bought my bike specifically because it had the tri-ovals already on it versus the other one I was looking at that had stock pipes which sound like garbage imo. The tri-ovals are loudER than stock but not what I would consider loud. They can have a good loud pop at startup depending on where the jugs are in their stroke when the motor is shut down, at idle or low load cruise they make a nice low rumble. When you whack the throttle open they do have a sharp growl which some people might consider loud but its certainly not something that will wake the neighbors from a mile away or anything.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So in other words to eliminate the cats...the head pipes need to be replaced? or can the converters be removed from the pipes ?

·
Registered
636 Posts
nope.. they are not loud.. have a nice rumble at idle and a bark at throttle input... Nice sound at cruising speed IMHO. exhaust sounds are such a subjective topic... It's all about what sounds good to YOUR vibrating ear drums.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
to remove the cats the mufflers need to be pulled and the cats can be drilled and broken/pulled out.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
nope.. they are not loud.. have a nice rumble at idle and a bark at throttle input... Nice sound at cruising speed IMHO. exhaust sounds are such a subjective topic... It's all about what sounds good to YOUR vibrating ear drums.
:I agree:

Very subjective. My 2011 XC had D&D's and they broke in louder over time. I don't expect the same from the Tri-Ovals.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
So in other words to eliminate the cats...the head pipes need to be replaced? or can the converters be removed from the pipes ?
You don't need to do that on our bikes. Without the lowers, ours don't trap heat the way the XCT and Vision do.

Most report a loss of low end power after removing them.

BTW, I sent you a PM.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm running tri-ovals. Simply I wanted to get away from very loud exhaust, I like the look and the deep sound. No worries about police busting your chops over illegal pipes. Go to YouTube, many videos to see/ listen to.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
packing material

i believe D+D uses packing that get "used up" and gets louder because of this. other D+D's are repackable. my hammer tri-pros use a steel insert, sound will not change, tri-ovals prolly similar. drilling a few holes in the end of the insert will "adjust" the sound level. my tri-pro's installed by former owner were fairly quiet IMO, i drilled 3/8 holes in the end of the insert, it barks when your on it but pretty quiet at slow speeds or cruze IMO. sound is very subjective of course.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just installed the Tri Ovals on my new 2013 Ness XC. I don't think they are loud by any standard but they do have what I think is a nice rumble when you accelerate. A few have told me they will get a little louder as they and the bike break in...time will tell!!! I do love the way they look thumb up

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
They look really good on your XC! cheers

·
Registered
130 Posts
i believe D+D uses packing that get "used up" and gets louder because of this. other D+D's are repackable. my hammer tri-pros use a steel insert, sound will not change, tri-ovals prolly similar. drilling a few holes in the end of the insert will "adjust" the sound level. my tri-pro's installed by former owner were fairly quiet IMO, i drilled 3/8 holes in the end of the insert, it barks when your on it but pretty quiet at slow speeds or cruze IMO. sound is very subjective of course.
Did you get any pics of that? I love the Tri-Ovals but would be nice if they could breathe a little better.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I think they do look killer.

On being loud, I'm told they are but on cross bikes they're firing behind you so dang hard to tell really in the saddle. They did come alive after the cams and goodies.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Wait till I do the Carlini's. Hoowah!! :) just gotta come up with a new product for XR's to mount the speedo to aftermarket risers. That's gonna be a challenge bigger than my solo bag mount I'd bet.

·
13,002 Posts
Dealers can not take the cats out of your exhaust cause it e-legal.

With a hole saw you can do it your self.

Vic's header pipes are extremely good.

Pulling cats guys say you get less heat off the exhaust.

The top 3 Vic performance shops guys Lloydz, Kevinx or Rylan have not said you loose any performance from pulling the cats.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Dealers can not take the cats out of your exhaust cause it e-legal.

With a hole saw you can do it your self.

Vic's header pipes are extremely good.

Pulling cats guys say you get less heat off the exhaust.

The top 3 Vic performance shops guys Lloydz, Kevinx or Rylan have not said you loose any performance from pulling the cats.
Lloyd and Kyle told me you do lose a bit.. The header is designed for the cats on the cross bikes to flow accordingly with them. Cut them out and you create adverse flow characteristics. Best way to do it is replace the headers with a full system designed without them... In which case, about all out there is Bassani 2-into-1, Freedom Performance true duals, and Conquest/HMD have the Trask shorty 2-into-1.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts