Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well this is my last resort before I take the sawzall to it.

So I have what I think is the Victory performance stage 1 shotgun/drag pipes on my '08 vegas. And I've spent the weekend prying and pulling trying to get them off..

They have a welded bracket holding the two pipes together towards the rear, and also looks to be a cross pipe welded on.. so there goes the whole idea I had that this would be simple to loosen the two pipes and pull them the respective way to clear the engine..

Issue is with the pipes being one piece I can't pull them forward enough to get the front pipe out of the front jug, or vice versa with the rear pipe..

Am I missing something simple?

http://imgur.com/a4pAYrY

not sure why the image won't show up heres the link to it

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked for every imaginable bolt..

Theres a solid bracket welded to the pipes, that bolts onto the exhaust hanger.. unless its possible that it's kind of like a slip together bracket and each piece is welded to a respective pipe?

Ill have another look though.. I thought that would be the only way they got them on there in the first place.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Off topic, but what seat and sissy bar is that? any more pics of them? On subject, look where they bolt to the exhaust hanger they should be stacked on top of each other and bolted in.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've got the same pipes on my Hammer and have had them on and off a couple times and the only time I had an issue was reinstalling them the last time with header wrap and the heat shield installed wich reduced any limited clearance.

If I remember correctly the rear pipe would come out easily but I found that you had to pull the front pipe first. Loosen and remove all the bolts, then I used an aluminum pipe I hade to gain a little leverage and could pull out enough on the front pipe to remove it first, then with a little angling I was able to pull out the rear pipe and remove the exhaust.

How nice would it be if they built the system to be installed one pipe at a time.......Engineers :(

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Off topic, but what seat and sissy bar is that? any more pics of them? On subject, look where they bolt to the exhaust hanger they should be stacked on top of each other and bolted in.
Zombie,

Seat is a corbin 'young guns' seat. And the sissy bar is a witchdoctor special, impressed with both.. was a tight fit to slip the seat under the sissy bar but it did go with some wiggle work. Not the best photo but all I've got right now,

I've got the same pipes on my Hammer and have had them on and off a couple times and the only time I had an issue was reinstalling them the last time with header wrap and the heat shield installed wich reduced any limited clearance.

If I remember correctly the rear pipe would come out easily but I found that you had to pull the front pipe first. Loosen and remove all the bolts, then I used an aluminum pipe I hade to gain a little leverage and could pull out enough on the front pipe to remove it first, then with a little angling I was able to pull out the rear pipe and remove the exhaust.

How nice would it be if they built the system to be installed one pipe at a time.......Engineers :(
Im trying to do the exact same thing I want to scrap the shields and wrap the pipe.. So the pipes are actually welded together A solid one piece? Or should they split at the hanging bracket?

·
Registered
321 Posts
They are actually welded together. I had wrapped them full length and it looked good till you get to the bracket area where they are welded together, so I scrapped that idea.
If you are handy at fab work I guess it would be possible to split the welded area and fab up some new bracket to make them seperate.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Even if the 2 mufflers are welded together, they should pull straight back off of the head pipes or x pipes once the clamp is loosened. I just replaced the exhaust on my highball. When taking the stock exhaust off I had to take a punch and hit the edge of the muffler pipe which slips over the head pipe. They were just stuck. Once I gave each one a couple whacks, they slid right off. I took off my stock pipes. It is possible that your pipes are different.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input guys,

ben,

The mufflers are welded right onto the pipe on the the stage 1 system. And it looks to be as archaicguy says the bracket is welded onto both pipes.

When I get some time next weekend I'll tear into it and try and fab up a new bracket to my liking.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Had those same pipes...ended up taking the heat shield off first then then exhaust wiggled out with some work

1 - 10 of 10 Posts