Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I hear my first Vic in person yesterday with shotgun pipes. I have been listening to a lot of youtube clips as well but I know that is hard to get an accurate sound.

My question is that at idle it sounds quite loud and lumpy which I like and under acceleration sounded quite good but when changing gears or backing of the throttle it sounded a bit puffy for want of a better word. Like it is leaking air from somewhere like a hole in the exhaust. Go you know what I mean? A lot of the YouTube clip make the same noise when the give it a quick rev. Good on the way up and no so on the way down.

My HD night Rod never did that with the V&H pipes and a lot of Harley's I've hear with pipes don't do that either.

Is it the pipes that are doing that or is it just a characteristic of a Victory engine?

I hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Sounds like you might be describing the popping on decel that often occurs with aftermarket exhausts especially when no fuel management system is added or the fuel management isn't tuned properly.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't mean at idle. Most Vic's with pipes sound good when you start them and let them idle. It's when they are revved and its on the back off part that that sound a bit puffy/airy. Ill try and find a YouTube clip to show what I mean as best I can.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not the best example but first one I found. Will post others later. I hope this makes sense. Great at idle but puffy after being revved.

http://youtu.be/kgX6JaUkEbg

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Coming from two carburated Harleys that would go potato nicely, I've resigned myself that the Vic is simply going to have a different cadence. It has grown on me though.

After I add the RPW Thor I'm sure it will be different yet but lovely in its own way. Single pin crank maintains a lot of the classic v twin character though so it's a far far cry from a Honda or kawa cruiser though for that reason.

I attribute it to what Harleys would sound like if they evolved. The fun of these bikes is instant grat on the throttle instead of struggling, making a lot of heat and noise like my old Harleys did.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
336 Posts
I think I know what you are saying. When you rev the Harley and let the throttle go, it almost immediately drops back to idle, whereas the Vic takes a bit more time....fraction of a second, but still noticeable, to drop back.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I know what you are saying. When you rev the Harley and let the throttle go, it almost immediately drops back to idle, whereas the Vic takes a bit more time....fraction of a second, but still noticeable, to drop back.
That's right, you back off on the throttle on a HD and it goes back to its idle sound not vroom, pffft, pffft, pffft then idle. I know the revs have to drop but I want to avoid that sound.

It's not decibel popping either as I know tats a fuelling issue.

2 more quick examples

http://youtu.be/VZ5lM8fWh70

http://youtu.be/MA_81zqHkAM

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any more advice on this? Since its the same 106 in all late Vic's what pipes give the best sound at idle and have the least airy sound?

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
if there was one pipe that took care of it for everyone then there wouldn't be anything else...your best bet is to find a set of pipes you like the sound of overall and spend the time and money to "tune" out the gurgle and pop....i have a thread in the 8ball section with my bassani pipes before i tuned out the decel pop...they gurgle like the burndown on a v8 exhaust.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's not the idle that is the problem. The bassani turn outs sound great. It's the off throttle noise that I'm asking about after acceleration.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
The moral of the story is this: If you get a pipe that doesn't gurgle you are lucky. The only sure way to make sure there is no decel pop or off idle gurgle is to tune it out with a fuel controller or you can buy a part from lloyd called an IAV valve to help. The results are going to be different from bike to bike...area to area...and pipe to pipe. There is no pipe that is guaranteed to pop less or not pop at all. Again, your best bet is to get a pipe that you like the sound of at idle...when throttle is pulled...and then spend the time and money getting the gurgle or pop "tuned" out.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Truthfully I get no pop with the Stage 1 Tri Pro pipes. I don't seem to get the airy sound either. The RPM does not drop immediately when you rev at idle. My guess is the way Vic deals with the closed throttle and the IAV. The IAV stays open a second longer than it needs to leaving the intake leak open more than needed. When riding this condition does not exist.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Precisely, with the stage one it is tuned/flashed...or if the o2,sensors are pulled it changes the map. My point was the a/f was changed by the flash...you aren't going to put a decent set of just pipes on and not have some type of off throttle sound response

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I have the Ness Big Honkers. To be honest oo quiet. I had ground blasters on the JP and those were a bit too loud

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I understand what you are saying but it's not the pop or idle that bothers me. The bikes sound tough at idle with zoomies, bassani etc. it's when you take off on the power then back of its really airy on some bikes like pfft pfft pfft pfft pfft like it's got a small leak in exhaust or gasket. Best way I can think of is a V8 car with a great exhaust sound great all through the rev range or idle. If it had a small hole in the same exhaust it would sound puffy/airy like it was leaking a bit. Some Vic's I have heard have that sort of sound.

I am just trying to find out if there is a way to get rid of that or if a certain pipe does.

I hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I know what you are talking about and yes it us a characteristic of the engine and pipe. It is due to back pressure. What you are hearing is air being sucked in from the tips. I heard once, though I have not tried it, you can place a rag at the end and it will suck it.

Different pipes offer different levels of back pressure. Back pressure will keep those hard to get to exhaust leaks from sucking air near fittings and flanges and thus bringing oxygen into the residual air/fuel mixture in your pipes resulting in that pop. I run Freedom Performance pipes on my Vegas and they have very little back pressure and the sound you described is very loud until around 12-1300 RPMs. I kinda like it now. I didn't at first, but it grows on you.

I have installed the IAV. It helps with the popping, but does not completely eliminate it in my experience. I am still adjusting though, so maybe one day it will.

Bottom line, if you don't like the sound of the way it sucks air on throttle let off, stuck with a muffler that maintains back pressure.

Hope that helps.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
690 Posts
Just to answer the question of which pipe sounds best.... I have the RPW big slash, and it's the best sounding pipe I have heard. Perhaps my favorite sounding pipe on any bike. And I'm a former Harley guy, do that's saying something. I have the "performance" down load from the dealer with the o2 sensors unplugged and it runs smooth as ****. I really like it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
755 Posts
Was the pipe debaffled? Seems like that might be cause of that airy decel. I have stage 1 pipes on my bike but than again my bike is 92ci and it doesn't do that.

Side note, I actually liked that decel sound. Sounds like an angry bull blowing air out before it attacks. Lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts