Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ridden Harley's for the last 20 years but am now riding a Vegas and love it.
I knew all about Harley's but next to nothing about the Vegas except how to service it and install basic accessories.

I don't like the stock exhaust for several reasons (weight, appearance etc.) and want to go with either Basani Street Pro slash cuts or Victory stage I straights.

My dealer wants $1100 turnkey for the stage 1 system and considerably less for the Street Pros but recommends a Power Commander to go with the Basani's.

Is the stage 1 system considerably lighter in weight than the stock system (I'm not into sound)? I know that the Street Pros weigh less.

Thanks for any help or opinions.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
The Vic stage 1 straights are still fairly heavy... Also the Vic stage 1 flash is garbage, adds next to no HP. I think the Bassani and PCV is the way to fly. On my Highball (which is essentially a Vegas) the Bassani pro street turnouts and PCV woke that thing up like crazy. Shifting from first to second hard on the throttle was instant wheelie 😄

·
Premium Member
8,768 Posts
Wise decisions on all counts Vegasrider, youll get a good result chopping out the stock airbox and fitting either a Ness, LLOYDZ, or S&S intake, ..Torquetubes even if your budget allows.
Add in the timing advance wheel and a pro tune on that PCV and youll really be Rocking!

·
Premium Member
6,072 Posts
Congrats on the new bike, let us know how your doing ? With the new exhaust did you order new gaskets ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input. Once Slash Cuts are installed,
can I run the bike with or without remapping (Power Commander or equivalent) and with or without O2 sensors connected (until I can do both) without damage to the engine?

Thanks for reminding me to buy new gaskets.

Thanks for all the help. Jerry.

·
Premium Member
8,768 Posts
Well I wouldnt myself as its gonna be even leaner than stock once you fit a free breathing exhaust.
Some people may run without an increase in fuelling.
Its your bike so bottom line its up to you and how much you value your engine, particularly your exhaust valves which run very hot anyway,

·
Premium Member
13,151 Posts
Well I wouldnt myself as its gonna be even leaner than stock once you fit a free breathing exhaust.
Some people may run without an increase in fuelling.
Its your bike so bottom line its up to you and how much you value your engine, particularly your exhaust valves which run very hot anyway,
Shouldn't he be ok until he puts a freer flowing air cleaner on? It works that way with the X bikes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you are only adding an exhaust and a victory high flow filter the Victory Stage Flash will do fine. You dont have to add another module to the Bike. The free flow filter and stage 1 made a noticeable difference in performance. A PCV will do better if you are trying to get every ounce of power out of the bike or doing further mods. If you are still under warranty this might be a consideration. I am not sure on the O2 sensor unplug. I here conflicting reviews on that.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
If you are only adding an exhaust and a victory high flow filter the Victory Stage Flash will do fine. You dont have to add another module to the Bike. The free flow filter and stage 1 made a noticeable difference in performance. A PCV will do better if you are trying to get every ounce of power out of the bike or doing further mods. If you are still under warranty this might be a consideration. I am not sure on the O2 sensor unplug. I here conflicting reviews on that.

I don't believe he is adding the Vic gear... He is wonder if once he adds his Bassani slash cuts he can run without the PCV. I know plenty of guys who changed the exhaust and just unplugged the O2's. In theory that should be adequate until he adds a more free breathing airbox.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Options

Does the replacement exhaust replace the head pipes an get rid of the cats, or is it just the rear section? That will have an impact on flow out of the heads and how lean you'll get. I think you'll get a lot of popping on decel from being lean-- but my bike doesn't have the O2s so I don't know how much compensation unplugging them will provide. It's certainly not optimal. I'd recommend a dyno tune but to make the best use of the tune figure out how far you want to go with performance mods as significant changes would require a new tune. Can do it in phases.
My end game was factory slip ons, open air cleaner (but not torque tubes) and some other very minor items. The factory Stage 1 tune was terrible. KMC was able to work with the factory computer/parameters to enrich/adjust the fuel curve to make good use of the upgrades. I don't know that there is enough room for adjustment in there to accomodate catless/open exhaust though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Removed stock exhaust, installed Basani Slash Cuts. No intake mods. Just wanted better sound and a lighter weight exhaust system. Works fine for me. Again, the 106 CI engine does it all for me. I don't plan to go to the drag strip. I have soft Victory leather bags, Victory windshield and safety bar on my Vegas.
Don't want anything more.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I don't believe he is adding the Vic gear... He is wonder if once he adds his Bassani slash cuts he can run without the PCV. I know plenty of guys who changed the exhaust and just unplugged the O2's. In theory that should be adequate until he adds a more free breathing airbox.
wasn't good enough for mine...all bikes/engines are slightly different though. Mine was running very very hot and lean, glad I got it tuned when I did and that I didn't run it too hard in the 5 days I had to wait to get it on a dyno...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts