Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought these black exhaust tips off eBay in June, installed near the end of June. I noticed while on a ride last Saturday that they have turned brown. Have any of you experienced this before? This is the first time I’ve tried anything other than chrome. I emailed the seller and was told this is normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
302 Posts
Kind of surprised its that far away from the cylinder heads. Typical its just a sign of the lean condition from factory so its normal in that sense. Gold, light brown. See if you can find a bottle of blue away. It will clean that colouring up. And check your spark plug ceramic color to see if its a nice tan color. If the ceramic is white, your bike is running too lean

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I don't see that as normal but I don't have experience with exhaust tips. Probably a cheap coating are they discolored all around or only where sun hits?
As Tenax said exhaust that far back isn't normally gonna be crazy hot.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
It's difficult to tell from the picture but is it only really brown on top? If so, it could simply be the black anodize coating is fading. If it is a faded anodize coating it could be for a couple reasons, not enough pigmentation in the black coating and/or not properly anodized in the first place. Though anodized coating will fade over time in the sun which is why most companies don't use that process any longer. It was sort of a popular solution many years ago. If, and I say if this is an anodized part, you're seeing the reason it's been out of fashion for quite a while. A properly powder coated billet piece will retain its color for a very long time.

My chrome Victory Shadow exhaust tips do get a blackish/brownish coating on them road/exhaust dirt and exhaust debris. But it's simple to wipe them down and they shine like brand new. If you wipe your's down with something like a spray polish, do they get back their original black lustre or do they still look brown?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I still have the factory exhaust tips and mine also get brown around the edges buy like Mark mine wipe off fairly easily. I think you may have either got a cheaply painted set of tips for they just need a good cleaning.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's difficult to tell from the picture but is it only really brown on top?

I just put these on in late June, I haven’t tried polishing yet. The brown is even all the way around, essentially the black turned to that brownish color. It doesn’t appear to be on top of the black. I think it’s likely bad anodizing, like you mentioned.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have the same tips on my CCT. I cut the snorkle tube even with the muffler. Love the sound. I don't think you are having a problem that polishing them up won't solve

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
I just put these on in late June, I haven’t tried polishing yet. The brown is even all the way around, essentially the black turned to that brownish color. It doesn’t appear to be on top of the black. I think it’s likely bad anodizing, like you mentioned.

Bummer, if the anodizing has faded, no amount of polishing or cleaning is likely to return it to a black lustre.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Yes, powder coating will last a long, long time and look as good as new for the duration. Especially on exhaust tips that don't get very hot.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The seller replied with a "sorry, I can't help you". LOL, not surprised, I noticed on the product he has added "(Note:avoid direct sunlight,otherwise,the color will be changed)" :grin

I am curious, how would I avoid direct sunlight on a motorcycle.....

Oh, well, live and learn, I'll try polish on them and see what happens. That bronze color is kind of cool, just not against the black bike.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Powdercoat black?
They are anodized, I think they are permanently that brownish color. The research I've done on anodizing say that black anodizing can fade to brown when exposed to UV/sunlight if the manufacturer used a dye with poor light fastness.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Powdercoat black?
They are anodized, I think they are permanently that brownish color. The research I've done on anodizing say that black anodizing can fade to brown when exposed to UV/sunlight if the manufacturer used a dye with poor light fastness.
Yeah. I was suggesting get them powdercoated

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I paid about $75 for those, the chrome version is about $100... I don't know if the cost of powder coating them would be worth it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I paid about $75 for those, the chrome version is about $100... I don't know if the cost of powder coating them would be worth it.
Yeah no clue. I thought they were the ones like vicbaggers and wd sell. At least twice as much. May be a case of you get what you pay for😁 i know the price seems insane for tips. I found a really good quality pair for 100 used on vog market. Didnt like the look of them though

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
How hard would it be to tape them up where needed and paint them with a high temp paint? Just an idea.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How hard would it be to tape them up where needed and paint them with a high temp paint? Just an idea.
I found a powder coater near me, I've requested a quote from them, but I think it'l be under $25, what I wonder though, is when it's powder coated will they be able to leave the chrome strips.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I found a powder coater near me, I've requested a quote from them, but I think it'l be under $25, what I wonder though, is when it's powder coated will they be able to leave the chrome strips.
If you pretaped them I don't see why not. Can't see it being that cheap if they have to prep. Very worthwhile otherwise I think for that price.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
If they are anodized this can bleed off onto the raw sections. We Powdercoat ours. It does look like you are getting quite a bit of carbon build up around the end.
Once again, VicBaggers proves they do things Correctly. Thank you VicBaggers, you guys rock!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts