Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, a lot of threads on exhaust on here, and I think I've read them all, but I haven't found the answer I'm looking for. I have Ness Big Honkers on my Cross Roads, and while I think they sound great, the wife...not so much, too loud for her. I am leaning heavily toward the Gonzo Stealth mufflers as they seem to fit the objective of sounding good but not overly loud. Does anyone have these on their bike? If so, what do you think of them? If anyone replaced their Big Honkers with a quieter pipe that still sounds good I would be interested in your comparison between them. Even though the Tri-Ovals may be perfect for me I am not going to spend that much on exhaust, so definitely going with a modified stock muffler. Thanks for your input!

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Washer in the center

Before you spend more money try this maybe. Some on here call them lollipops. They weld a washer onto the head of a bolt. Then the drill a hole in the tailpipe of the muffler. They then mount the washer/bolt into the hole drilled in the muffler. You can then turn the washer flat or parallel with the end of the tail pipe to quiet it down and give it some back pressure. Or you can turn it somewhat opening up the exhaust for a little more noise and less back pressure. Do a search I am sure there is something on this site covering that. Even if you do not weld you could have them made cheap and install them. If it cost you $20+ that is much cheaper then new mufflers again.
:|

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
You could get the wife some earplugs

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I don't do Facebook, and $450 is above what I am going to spend.
The lollipops are effective depending on the diameter f the pipe and where they are placed in the pipe, which may take a lot of trial and error to get right, then they may not quiet it down enough. I looked at putting Thunder Monster baffles in the Big Honkers but the way they taper inside that didn't look promising.
I spent 40 minutes talking with Dave who does the Raging Cajun exhaust, and he has had about everything available for the Cross bikes, including Big Honkers, and used the data to develop his own baffles. I was impressed with him and others have great things to say about his pipes, so I sent my stock pipes out today for him to modify. I hope to have no more than $250 invested in this, and maybe I can sell the Big Honkers for close to that. Oh yeah, there's no way the wife will wear earplugs!

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"The bike is too loud, I don't want to ride on it"

"Great! See you in a couple of days"
I've tried that, but now that the weather is getting warm enough for her to ride that's not working anymore! I did buy the Cross Roads so she could go on trips with me, so...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts