Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, just for the Canadians on this site is there a good place to buy aftermarket accessories without breaking the bank? I ordered from Witchdoctors once and paid for the shipping and then paid for cash on delivery charge. Does anyone have any ideas or good place to buy parts for super cheap? Or should I just pick it up at the border or wait for Sturgis and just them there? Any and all help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
It's a major pain in the you know what to buy anything aftermarket here in Canada. If the Yankee dollar doesn't kill us it's the shipping or its the brokerage fees! For me, I travel into the states quite often for work so every town I'm in a find the Vic dealer to see what they have in stock. Got lucky a few weeks ago in Austin tx and they had a few aftermarket items I wanted in stock so I saved all the shipping etc. either that or my dealer here in London, Inglis Cycle, has a sale every spring and everything is on sale, even if they have to order it. Good luck on your search and if you find anything, let us know!!!!!!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Go to www.kinek.com and sign up for an account.

Basically you get a glorified PO Box at a border crossing and can take advantage of cheap / free shipping that our SoB (south of border :p) neighbours get from the aftermarket companies.

There is usually a very minimal $5 or $10 handling fee to the local outlet on most packages.

Donkscn, there is one in Port Huron I've used many times when I lived in Woodstock. Pop over the border, get your goodies, then ride downriver to Marine City for a burger and beer at Gars then take the ferry across to Sombra and home makes for a great day trip.

Mike

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
heh, I just bought a pair of slightly used D&D baffles off a guy for $50 US.

Shipping via USPS from Texas to Blaine, WA was another $30.

Paid with PayPal ... they added a fee.

Used my credit card and they added the exchange.

By the time all said and done, an $80 purchase in US cost me $110 CDN

FWIW, I have a receiver in Blaine, WA to save on the extra $20+ US to ship to Can.

Shipping via USPS is, IMO, the ONLY way to go if shipping to Canada. Was a time it was reasonable. Not so nowadays. A $10 item can cost as much as $25 to ship LOL friggin ridiculous and I think some "high-up" federales pushed that through somehow to dissuade us Canucks from shopping south of the border on-line when the exchange rates were reasonable or even in our favor.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts

·
Premium Member
229 Posts

Basically you get a glorified PO Box at a border crossing and can take advantage of cheap / free shipping that our SoB (south of border :p) neighbours get from the aftermarket companies.

There is usually a very minimal $5 or $10 handling fee to the local outlet on most packages.

Donkscn, there is one in Port Huron I've used many times when I lived in Woodstock. Pop over the border, get your goodies, then ride downriver to Marine City for a burger and beer at Gars then take the ferry across to Sombra and home makes for a great day trip.

Mike
Mike,
Ive heard about doing that but i guess im just lazy! However, doing a day trip like that sounds like a good idea. May have to try that.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts

Mike
I use SCC parcel pickup in Port Huron, actually heading there this weekend to pick up my underdrive pulley.
Unfortunately for us Canadians it's hard to find great deals, you really have to shop for pricing. Doesn't help that the cdn $ is **** right now either...

·
Registered
139 Posts
I use SCC parcel pickup in Port Huron, actually heading there this weekend to pick up my underdrive pulley.
Unfortunately for us Canadians it's hard to find great deals, you really have to shop for pricing. Doesn't help that the cdn $ is **** right now either...
Bay Brokerage on Holland Ave is the Kinek location in Port Huron. Only 5 or 6 blocks from the border.

Good deals here are few and far between. I've had decent luck with generic items from Canada's Motorcycle but there aren't a lot of options that's for sure. The free shipping helps but doesn't offset the 50+% markup vs prices in the States.

I've got my eye on some new toys through Partspitstop.com for the spring. The kinek point in the Soo is shutting down this month. If another doesn't open soon I'll be making a trip to PH as soon as the snow melts in the spring and I can get the bike out of storage.

Mike

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I don't see there pricing on the website? SCC parcel pickup is on Lapeer ave maybe 5 mins from the border (maybe less). I've used them at least 25 x's, $5 a parcel and $10 anything that comes on a skid.
I will have to check out the partspitstop.com...

·
Registered
139 Posts
I don't see there pricing on the website? SCC parcel pickup is on Lapeer ave maybe 5 mins from the border (maybe less). I've used them at least 25 x's, $5 a parcel and $10 anything that comes on a skid.
Each location is independent so can set their own price. You have to drill into the location maps to see "rates from" values. You see all rates when you register.

The one in Port Huron is $5 per package and $10 for a skid .... There is an extra charge if on site for longer than 30 days I think.

Just saw there is also one now in Marine City at $4 per package .... Quick ferry ride across the river and way less traffic than the bridge.

Mike

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Hey Lunatic, since ive never crossed the border and purchased a large amount to bring back the same day, are the duty charges worth while?
That is im assuming youre claiming stuff coming back!!:)

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Hey Lunatic, since ive never crossed the border and purchased a large amount to bring back the same day, are the duty charges worth while?
I could be mistaken but "duty" is generally federal and provincial taxes (GST & PST or HST).

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
No, duty is what you pay when your over your allotted amount to bring home from the USA. They include GST and PST in there as well, but duty is a percentage of the total amount you are over. The duty varies on what type of goods you are claiming as well.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
No, duty is what you pay when your over your allotted amount to bring home from the USA. They include GST and PST in there as well, but duty is a percentage of the total amount you are over. The duty varies on what type of goods you are claiming as well.
ahh yes, you are correct and I had forgotten.

I don't pay a lot of attention to that as I have a Nexus card and when I return from the US and have items to declare, I have a form that I've printed beforehand and just enter the value and category, hand it to the agent as I drive thru, and some time later I get a charge against my Visa. Can't recall ever receiving a receipt though but that's the govn't for ya.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I more or less claim every time other than the odd little stuff, it really depends on the border agent if he/she wants to be a dick or not. I figure the only time I don't claim they will pull me in and find whatever I tried not to claim then I will be flagged every time I cross. Like stated above I sometimes but not every time have to pay taxes on my purchases. Just shop for the best price on whatever it is your shopping for.
Unfortunately us Canadians cannot be loyal to any one business because most after market Victory businesses do not offer free shipping even within the US for instance I bought my PCV, Autotune and lcd200 from Denis Kirk because not only were they the best price on all 3 items but they had free shipping even though I bought them all at separate times.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts