Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at selling my bike and am wondering what is the easiest route to go. I would love to take it to a dealer, work out a price, and be done. My hesitation is that they would low-ball me, and taking 10% out of a consignment probably would not result in more money. I would think a consignment would take a while since it's winter for another couple months.

Anyone try selling their bike to a dealer? What was your experience?

·
Registered
426 Posts
You will get your best deal selling privately hands down IMO. But I guess that isn't what you are asking :angel

·
Registered
357 Posts
Best to stay away from a dealer.
Try listing on Craigslist for a couple weeks and if that doesnt work try a MC consignment shop.Most ask what you want and if there is room for them to make some they take it in.
You may list it on here and see what happens

·
Registered
682 Posts
The dealer will absolutely low ball you if they will even buy it outright instead of trading it in. Your best bet would be to privately sell it. You could probably get a little more out of it if you wait a few months till it warms up

Reactions: LILMAGS500

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
List it here first , if you price it right somebody here will buy it . The dealer will F%^K you hard . Especially if you are not trading ...

Reactions: PaiN and broggyr

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
Victories are hard to sell. You might have better luck trading it in. A dealer will not buy it out right unless the market is hot for that bike. Harley flooded the market back in 2003 with the 100th anniversary model there are so many bikes now. Your best bet might be a bike broker that charges a fee. Still this time of year a bike sells cheap. when the riding season hits the price goes up.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Echo what they said.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
we don't call em Stealers fer nuffin y'know :wink

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
Most new bike dealers typically get used bikes in two ways;

1. as a trade in
2. from an auction at well below trade in prices

They also often sell their over stock inventory to action companies or wholesale brokers which will also effect their decision to consign your bike or their trade in offer.

They typically have no reason to accept a consignment as it takes up floor space, they may have the same model new and they typically don't make much on them. Most of the time when a dealer accepts a consignment bike, it's as a favor to one of their good (repeat) customers.

Do you own your Victory outright or do you owe money on it. That also may effect your deal in that it adds another item to be considered.

Your best bet is to simply walk into your dealer and talk to them. Their particular situation at the time will determine the outcome.

All the best to you and please let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I guess it depends on how much you want to make. I sold my past bike to a dealer, it in August so toward the end of the riding season, if he did not sell it by year end it would be a year older and he would have sat on it for 6 months. I was expecting to sell it for about $3,200 he offered $2,500. During my busiest time of year at work, the no aggravation, no tire kickers, no state inspection, not everybody wanting to go for a ride and worrying if it was going to be a Mayhem commercial. My wife was worried about who knows who coming to the house. I went to a dealer who only sells used bikes and he offered me $2,000. I went back to the 1st dealer and took the deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWC6PWSJ50s

Everyone is different, but worked for me.

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
The easiest option will get you least return. Simple really.

Reactions: vcc14 and tfkp

·
Registered
132 Posts
When I bought my '12 XR in august of '12 I was made what I thought to be an extremely low offer for my '08 KP and I kept it. I listed it on both Craigslist and in Cycle Trader. Did Cycle Trader 3 or 4 times and got low ball and trade offers from people.

April of '14 I called dealer back, talked to the owner, who I didn't consult when I wanted to trade, and talked to him. Negotiated a asking price and my bottom line price for my '08 then negotiated his consignment fee (got hm down to $500). Agreed and took the bike back to him. About 50-60 days later I called about a part I was looking for for my '12 and they informed me that they had sold the bike the day before and a check would be ready the following day. I ended up with almost 3k more than they offered me in trade.

Dealer told me that they had to float the credit app for purchaser to 5 different lenders before finding one that would take deal, interest rate serious double digits. You can't do that on your own.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I am looking at selling my bike and am wondering what is the easiest route to go. I would love to take it to a dealer, work out a price, and be done. My hesitation is that they would low-ball me, and taking 10% out of a consignment probably would not result in more money. I would think a consignment would take a while since it's winter for another couple months.

Anyone try selling their bike to a dealer? What was your experience?
Did you buy your bike from the dealer you may be considering? That may gain you some favor.

Just a thought, call the dealer anonymously, ask for sales and ask IF they take consignments and their fees. If you need to make up a different year and model that you are looking to sell.

·
13,263 Posts
How do you find a bike you want to buy. Most guys start with the net over and over than last resource is dealer. Not knowing what you're selling do a search to find price then be realistic about your price. Take some really good photos and try out right. If you go to dealer have a bottom line price. If you're selling just to get out from under then come up with a good realistic price. Denver has some big dealers that might just help you out.
Good Luck

·
Registered
180 Posts
A lot depends on how much you need the money and how fast you need it. I bought I my Kingpin from a dealer who had it on consignment for a year a half before I bought it. I keep up with craigslist, and see many bikes go months without selling. If you get a dealer to buy it,that is the quickest way but you will get the least amount for it. anyway, best of luck to you

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I've used CL several times to sell bikes. It's not easy to sell unless you have something someone wants and the price is right. Also, you got to use common sense as in viewing your bike on Craigs List like you are a buyer and see something that catches your eye.

I have seen some very stupid listings on there. I hate this phrase...
"I need it gone asap". Oh! Please don't take pics of your bike with it sitting in the shadows. We can't see it, we don't want it. And don't do pics with a garden hose nearby because you've just washed it after it has sat for ages in the dust. I like one where the guy said it's only been dropped once and it had a huge gash in the tank.

Even if it is an older bike and if you've got it looking really good, and have made some nice pics, it will sell.

If you stick the price on it that you want to sell it for, no one will call. You must be realistic and do your homework. I can't believe what some people list theirs for. No wonder it stays on there forever or they just give up. What is the used price on NADA? Go below that if at all possible and it will sell.

If you don't want to fool with selling it, trade it with dealer and risk losing $$. I can't afford to lose money on what I have in it so I'm selling it outright. Sure, it's a pain but is definitely worth it.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
A lot of it depends on your asking price or the number you have in mind. If you have a bike that is around $6,000 or less, Craigslist is money especially this time of year as some folks have $$burning a hole in their pocket. If you have a $10,000 bike that you are looking to get top $$ for, CycleTrader isn't a bad option but it is kind of a hassle. As far as selling to a dealer, you'll get bottom $$ especially this time of year as Polaris floor plan only allows 30 days no interest for used bikes and it could be a while before it sells.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts