Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having my CCT sit at the dealership since 6/10 I finally have her back and Ma Victory picked up the tab for an entirely new clutch. According to the dealer when all said and done it will cost about $2,100 to replace everything. The dealership also changed the oil after replacing the clutch, rode it for a few miles and replaced the oil and filter a second time saving me from doing it.

Since picking the bike up Friday I've ridden just over 320 miles and the first thing I noticed is my shifts are a little smoother and the clutch feels better. So I'm wondering if what I thought might just be getting use to the bike was really the clutch failing??

At this point everyone from me, the dealership and Ma Victory are still scratching their heads regarding what happened. All the parts have been sent to Victory and the dealership took over 20 pictures that were requested. Will there be a recall? I doubt it, but the exploding clutch is now known about and hopefully they'll go back to the parts manufacture and investigate their process.

I'm back in the saddle again and a very happy fella cheers

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Great news Brother , glad your back , and happy .:)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After what happened, I'm still a little nervous every time I pull the clutch in. But that will pass...

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
thumb up..........

·
Super Moderator
5,037 Posts
Now hopefully you can just enjoy the ride.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Great man, happy for you .... Did the dealer told you to change oil before 5000 mile because of the new clutch ?

Maybe oil analysis would be an option for you at 2500 miles ?

Happy riding my friend

·
Registered
68 Posts
Even I am a little timid now what with all the clutch related issues I am reading about here on these forums.:confused:

Great news that the dealer took care of you. Ride on!!!cheers

·
13,188 Posts
Vtwin1602

great your up and going with money in your pocket.
I was thinking oil filters are cheap so why not change it at say 500 or 750 miles as a precaution.
Happy miles to you thumb up

·
Premium Member
13,660 Posts
After what happened, I'm still a little nervous every time I pull the clutch in. But that will pass...
Can't blame you but like you said; it'll pass and you will regain confidence in your bike. The vast majority never have any issue with the clutch other than at some point with normal wear and tear; the plates need to be changed.

Vtwin1602

great your up and going with money in your pocket.
I was thinking oil filters are cheap so why not change it at say 500 or 750 miles as a precaution.
Happy miles to you thumb up
You're right enough about oil being cheap enough if you go with something other than Vic oil or Amsoil but why not just change the filter at that point then go ahead and change the oil and filter at the regularly scheduled interval at 5k miles so it will be back on track? It's easy to keep track of 5k mile increments like 5, 10, 15, etc.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great man, happy for you .... Did the dealer told you to change oil before 5000 mile because of the new clutch ?

Maybe oil analysis would be an option for you at 2500 miles ?

Happy riding my friend
They didn't come right out and say I should change the oil before the regular interval, but I'm going to put about 2k on the bike and do it just as a safe guard. One of the mechanics at work is rigging up a filter to drain the oil over so I can see if there was any noticeable metal fragments.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Cool mate, thanks for the info

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
I'm real timid with the clutch too. 90K miles, original clutch, 130 HP/138 tq. Yup, y'all be careful with those exploding Victory clutches... they're just not reliable... ;)

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
'Twas really good to have you along on Saturday's ride, V-Twin. Many, Many happy and carefree miles to ya Bro.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Sounds like they did the right thing for you including flushing the crankcase and changing the filter.

So far it appears Victory has changed vendors that make their pressure plates, diaphragm springs, and its looking like a vendor change might happen with the clutch hub too. I don't think I'd assume that just because a reliable clutch in an older or different model bike has its clutch components made by the same manufacturer, especially when its possible the clutch components manufacturer could differ on the same bike and same model year.

Tech23

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Vtwin1602

It wouldn't a bad idea after one oil change send a sample out and get it analyzed. Send a special note asking about how much metal is oil. Sorry for spending your money

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/motorcycle.php
Not spending my money. I've got a whole lab of chemists at work who will do all the sample testing I want done. When I get back from a trip I'm taking to Tacoma over the 4th I'll be dropping some settled oil and taking it in to see what they find cheers

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
Oils well that ends well,eh V-Twin?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts