Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I was finally able to get out for a ride this evening. A couple of observations on the fairing audio kit and the painted inner fairing:

1. The Victory Extreme Audio Fairing kit works quite well. I was only at speeds up to about 65mph but the volume set at 10 worked fine. I was wearing a Victory half helmet. I have Raging Cajun Medium Low & Throaty mufflers.

2. The painted inner fairing seems to have added some squeaks I never heard before. Perhaps it will take a bit for the inner fairing mating surface to 'wear in' a bit for this to stop.

3. Now I'm even more anxious to get the saddlebag extreme audio kit installed.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
1. The Victory Extreme Audio Fairing kit works quite well. I was only at speeds up to about 65mph but the volume set at 10 worked fine. I was wearing a Victory half helmet. I have Raging Cajun Medium Low & Throaty mufflers.
10 !!! ??? I put mine to 6 and its so loud its almost unbearable !

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Yea, I found out my iPhone was only at about 50% volume. Maybe that 's why. I'll be on the bike again for several hundred miles tomorrow and I'll play around with it a bit.

·
Registered
261 Posts
If your phone is connected to the iPod hookup in the saddle bag it shouldn't matter where you have the phone's volume set.

FWIW I have the same Vic kit and use an old iPod. If I'm on the highway I need the volume to be around 10 to hear the lyrics. I've not used the radio since I've installed the kit but maybe less volume is needed if the radio is used.

·
Registered
55 Posts
it worked

Well, i used a combination of 80% marks instructions, 15% personal experience and 5% of the communists propaganda papers that mother victory sent to me. seriously, not one person checked to see if the instructions worked. and i got revision 2. Any way The speakers sound much louder, not better, just louder but at highway speeds you cant really tell the difference. But.... I left the kicker speakers in the fairing because the magnets were so much bigger than the "extreme" ones that came in the kit. Am i going to kick myself later.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I think you'll be fine with the Kicker speakers. You also added the other four speakers with the kit so you likely have a better sounding "extreme audio" system than the rest of us.

I did about 350 miles today at mostly legal (70mph) and, well, faster than that speeds. I had my fairing speakers set between 7 and 10. It really depended on the music as well as the surrounding sounds. Wide open highway needed a slightly different volume setting than when I was climbing the mountain with rock walls next to me. With or without the concrete or metal lane dividing barriers also makes a difference. Of course car and truck noises vary considerably as well. Having different windshield heights, with/without tank risers, Lloyds v K&N v oem air filter, full, 3/4, half helmet and helmet fit etc likely also make a big difference. Plus add in the differences between exhaust, engine mods plus our own hearing differences and, well, the variations continue to compound.

At the end I was listening to a Podcast which just had two male voices. If I leaned down and forward like I was tucking in behind the windshield, the sound was very muddled distorted. When I sat upright and back at a more 'normal' position, the sound was clear as could be. But at or above triple digit speeds with the tach steadily past 4000, well, much of the sound is simply lost. At speeds where the tach stayed around 2800, a volume setting of 7 was all that was needed in most instances. I also still have my oem CCT trunk rear speakers. I suspect once I install the extreme audio saddlebag kit, the volume settings will change again.

In the end, I got a huge kick out of listening to music through the fairing kit. I've only ever used a bluetooth Sena helmet system with a Shark Evoline ST 3 full face helmet. Now I'm using my Victory half helmet a lot. I think Polaris did an admiral job of putting this system together. Yes, their instructions continue to be well below par and many of the components are price sourced. But the system does work well. Especially at the blowout prices. At full Polaris MSRP, I would have shopped around for an aftermarket system. But it's hard to beat factory plug & play at 60% off MSRP. It's a real shame Polaris discontinued all the pieces of the Extreme Audio setup.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Well I installed the stereo today. And Yesterday. Lol. My buddy told me, after I read the instructions, that I would need access to the fairing socket. Too late. As others have found out, you can't get there from here after the 'volume' was installed. I found the wires that lead to the fairing socket and piggybacked into them. I also had to find a new home for my airhorn because the passenger side 'volume' eradicated it's former home. Anyway, I wondered if whomever it was that authored those instructions got wind Polaris was shutting down Victory and just wrote stuff down to fill the pages. They were among the worst I have ever seen. The lack of labelling on the harness was also brutal. If it wasn't for some helpful advice from members here and a few other sources, I'd be installing the stereo tomorrow too. But everything works, so I'm a happy rider.

·
Registered
55 Posts
remove speaker pod.

Well, my 12volt socket on the dash has gone dead. secret fuse is good, 12volt in trunk has power. My first hunch is that the T splice that the kit used for power might be to blame. but it is nestled between speaker pod and the frame. My issue is that the pod does not want to come out. i removed the hex screw behind the grill, and the one at the bottom of the pod. It looks like there is some form of push grommet directly inboard from the speaker to the frame. the whole pod wiggles but i dont want to just yank on it. any suggestions? is there a third screw under or behind the speaker itself?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts