Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed my factory stock rear wheel from my 2014 XCT today only to discover that there were 12 (6 per side) 5 gram weights attached to the rim.

That's 60 grams !!!!

I have done a couple of wheel balances in my time and I have never used that many.

What have you got on your stock rear wheel?

Maybe before I remove the tire and weights, I should verify the balance with my Marc Parnes balancer.

This tire is the original and has over 23,500 kms (14,600 miles) and probably could go a bit more, but I am going to be installing my car tire and my Centramatic Balancers so it should make for a smoother ride.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Paul. I am anxious to hear what the Centramatics will do for a wheel like that, particularly assuming you remove the weights

·
Registered
304 Posts
Mine was like that also! When I had the new rear tire put on I put a similar product like Dyna Bead's in - the thing is smooth - so the Centramatic Balancer should do the same!

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update:

I put the factory stock wheel on my balancer and the wheel is not balanced, not even close.
No matter where I place the wheel, it stops rotating with the weights at the 3 o'clock position and the valve at the 7 o'clock position.
A balanced wheel should not rotate at all, no matter where you place the wheel.
Granted, this tire has many miles on it, so the out-of-balance may be a natural thing because of age.
It is just mind boggling to me that the factory would put 12 weights on a rim and not think anything was wrong.
Anyway, I will certainly be removing all those weights.
Goes to show why I like doing the work myself. I think I can do it better than the factory.
/end of rant.

·
Super Moderator
6,385 Posts
I just had a rear tire mounted and there is a fair amount of weight on there like yours. Could be partly due to the angled valve stem I have in there. Last tire I mounted myself and used CounterAct beads. If I remember, I'll take a pic.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
The tires are probably out of balance on these bikes right from the get-go , not the wheel assembly . I see it all the time on car tires . Sometimes if the balance is way off , before I add weights , I break the bead and rotate the tire on the rim and a lot of times you end up only needing half or less of the original weights .

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
This is going to be a good one to follow Paul. I have been considering the Centramatics and always enjoy and benefit from your posts.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
The tires are probably out of balance on these bikes right from the get-go , not the wheel assembly . I see it all the time on car tires . Sometimes if the balance is way off , before I add weights , I break the bead and rotate the tire on the rim and a lot of times you end up only needing half or less of the original weights .

yes sir!! i did that many times and it helped.

·
Super Moderator
6,385 Posts
Do those tires have a mark on it showing the 'light' point? My MC tire does and it's placed right where the valve stem is. The weights are about 70° away from that point (I forget in which direction)

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
not all tires have the stem dot. its nice when they do though

·
Super Moderator
6,385 Posts
All that bead-breaking and remounting has to be hard on the bead, no?

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am going to be installing a 90 degree valve stem on the rim and putting the TPMS sensor on the inside.
This will certainly add a bit of weight to one side, then I will put the rim only on my balancer and put some self adhesive counterweights on the inside of the rim.
This way, we start off with a perfectly balanced rim, then the centramatic balancers only need to balance the tire itself.
Yeah, I think that is what I am going to do :)

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I will put the rim only on my balancer and put some self adhesive counterweights on the inside of the rim.
Make sure to use some 3M adhesion promoter , with the weights being on the inside with the centrifugal force and nothing but double back tape holding them on its not the same as them being on the outside of the rim where they are secure while the wheel is rotating ... If a weight flies off inside the tire it will pummel the tire from the inside ...

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Make sure to use some 3M adhesion promoter , with the weights being on the inside with the centrifugal force and nothing but double back tape holding them on its not the same as them being on the outside of the rim where they are secure while the wheel is rotating ... If a weight flies off inside the tire it will pummel the tire from the inside ...
Good point @LILMAGS500 I never considered that.
I will have to research this more, or not use any weights and let the Centramatics do it all. That might be safer.
Thanks for this info, this is what makes sites like this so great.
thumb up

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
All that bead-breaking and remounting has to be hard on the bead, no?

not if done right no, just pop the bead, spin the tire 180, reaseat the bead, good to go

·
Premium Member
6,238 Posts
I have ceramic beads, but i just bought a 57 Oz bag of stainless steel beads ..... They look more easy to work with then the ceramic ones. Thanks for starting this Paul ...

·
Super Moderator
6,385 Posts
not if done right no, just pop the bead, spin the tire 180, reaseat the bead, good to go
Thanks; I had confused the bead-popping with actual removal from the rim for some reason. My reading comprehension skills aren't at their peak sometimes...

·
13,263 Posts
If its not to late Paul see how balanced the wheel is before you mount the tire.

You can go into a harley dealer and look at all the new bikes and you'll see a dot right at the valve stem. Look at every one of the bikes and you'll net see one weight. Don't know how they do it but I'm guessing there save a bunch of money having a machine do the mounting.

Can't believe the factory would put that much weight on a tire.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I took the weights off my rear wheel, polished it and had a Goodyear Assurance 195/55r16 CT put on about 2 months ago. Dealer had previously installed Centramatics a year ago. While I have some reservations about handling with the CT on it is smooth under most conditions. One of them that it is not is at high speed. Above 95 mph brings on the 'death wobble' which it did not have with a MT. Other CT users have gone to run flat tire which has a stiffer sidewall and may contribute to less 'wallowing' we'll call it. I used Ride On on my last bike after changing tires and has the added benefit on puncture sealing. Should I change bikes, I'd go with that.
Still debating my next rear tire change of run flat or MT however. Shouldn't need it for a while as this one only has a few thousand on it.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well this sucks...
The 90 degree valve stem that came with my TPMS is way too big to fit into the rim.
So I will not be able to put my sensor on the inside.
Oh well, I guess I will have to order some other types and put them on next time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts