Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is by no means rocket science or anything, in fact this is quite possibly one of the easiest installs I've ever done. However, while planning various other upgrades inside my fairing I found myself wondering about how the XM module was integrated into the system. I knew somewhere down the road I would likely end up installing one and wanted to make sure that my other non-OEM modifications would not end up in the way. I searched but had a difficult time finding any information regarding the XM module or the audio harness which is required to install the module. Thought I'd post up some pictures for anyone who was curious...

First up, the parts. Here is the audio harness (Part #2878065) required for install. The Victory web page has said "Image Coming Soon" for as long as I can recall. They seem to have dropped the ball, so here it is..

Next up the XM Satellite Radio Module itself. (Part #2877194)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also comes with instructions.

And mounting hardware. These are stainless M4 x 0.7 x 8 flanged bolts with M4 Nylok nuts.

So where does this install? If you look just below where your main audio harness plugs into the radio, you will see a square shaped rubber dust cap.

Once I realized this, I was worried that I had chosen a bad spot for my Digital Guard Dawg Keyless Ignition Module. I was kind of sweating this as I am the one that did the install video for the DGD website and I specifically recommended this spot in the video.

Here it is with the dust cap and main audio harness removed.

New audio harness installed.

And the main audio harness re-installed.

I was relieved to find that both harnesses fit just fine, even with the Guard Dawg on duty.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So here we are with the new harness installed. The smaller black connector is for the XM module. The other black connector can be used for the Sena Bluetooth Dongle, the Victory CB Kit, or (I have seen mentioned) a CD player. This is why you cannot use the Sena Dongle and the CB at the same time, they share the same plug. The GPS plugs in elsewhere so that is not an issue.

Next up we use the supplied screws to bolt the XM module to the back of the factory radio. Mechanically very simple, somewhat difficult in reality however if you have fat fingers. You then simply plug it in to your new audio harness. I'll provide views from a few different angles here just in case someone is trying to fab something up without interfering with the XM radio.

Directly overhead. While partially obstructed by the inner dash (and the fairing of course), I have had great reception with this radio in comparison to the unit I installed on my Jeep.

And a view through the headlight opening with it all buttoned up.

Turn the ignition on and if all went well, you should see something like this.

Hand over some of your hard earned money to the good folks over at SiriusXM, and within minutes you should be enjoying your favorite tunes! Kind of ironic the song that happened to be on when I snapped this picture, given the cost of this damn module...

After completing this install, I was happy to find that none of my previous add-ons were in the way. I have the DGD-KIM as mentioned earlier, a Flash2Pass, a Hawg Wired amp, Hawg Wired crossovers, and a Scosche LOC installed, all of which I was able to leave right where I had originally installed them. I'll probably add the Sena Bluetooth Dongle in the near future, but it appears that dongle will just dangle if you will... Hopefully someone finds this information useful. Please let me know if you have any comments or questions.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Thanks for the detailed post outlining the installation. That is why I love this forum. This adds to great information already on this site. Thank you again!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad to be able to give back. Figure if it helps one person, it was worth the time to put the post together. thumb up

·
Registered
41 Posts
Directly overhead. While partially obstructed by the inner dash (and the fairing of course), I have had great reception with this radio in comparison to the unit I installed on my Jeep.

Awesome "How to"
Is this the only antenna or is there another one somewhere else?[/SIZE]

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
About how long did it take you, and do you know how many hours Victory charges for the install?
It's really pretty quick. If you already know how to take your fairing off, this whole project should take about 30 minutes. That's really the most difficult part. If you've never taken it off, maybe an hour. I don't know how much a shop charges, but I don't imagine it could be more than 1 hour. Maybe someone who had it installed by their dealership could chime in?

·
Premium Member
325 Posts

Awesome "How to"
Is this the only antenna or is there another one somewhere else?[/SIZE]
No other antenna. So I removed the spaghetti's nest and ran it out the bottom of the fairing on the tank side. I followed my brake lines and used double sided tape to mount it on top of my brake reservoir. So much better for reception. Barely even notice it is there.

·
Registered
108 Posts
No other antenna. So I removed the spaghetti's nest and ran it out the bottom of the fairing on the tank side. I followed my brake lines and used double sided tape to mount it on top of my brake reservoir. So much better for reception. Barely even notice it is there.
+1 Same location, reception is so much better. - Mike

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
I just did my XM install last night, and I have a question I thought I would throw out.
Does anyone have this module, AND an amp (RF PB300x2 in my case), AND a WoLo or similar air horn? I had the horn mounted to the back of the radio, and now it is taken up with the XM unit. I LOVE having the Screaming Banshee, but I'm stumped on where to put the horn unit. I may have to get a two piece horn, and fab something up, but wanted to check here first.

BTW, thanks for the pics! It is a very easy install, but it always helps to see what you are getting into prior to getting into it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
+1 Same location, reception is so much better. - Mike
I'm going to have to change my mind on the antenna's location on the brake reservoir. Twice now I have gone to Sturgis and my bike was parked during heavy rain storms and twice the rain took out my XM antenna. - Mike

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting, thought it was waterproof. Looks a lot like the one I mounted on the roof of my Jeep. Good to know.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just did my XM install last night, and I have a question I thought I would throw out.
Does anyone have this module, AND an amp (RF PB300x2 in my case), AND a WoLo or similar air horn? I had the horn mounted to the back of the radio, and now it is taken up with the XM unit. I LOVE having the Screaming Banshee, but I'm stumped on where to put the horn unit. I may have to get a two piece horn, and fab something up, but wanted to check here first.

BTW, thanks for the pics! It is a very easy install, but it always helps to see what you are getting into prior to getting into it.
i have the wolo too. i installed mine on the left aluminum fairing bracket on the outside of it under the speaker. i drilled 1 hole through it to mount the horn. (if your standing in front of bike, outer left side. sits completely out of the way)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Interesting, thought it was waterproof. Looks a lot like the one I mounted on the roof of my Jeep. Good to know.
Tony, the first time was with a Zumo 550 and the antenna was about 7 years old. A bad rain storm while I was in a restaurant took out the antenna - it was pretty old, maybe the waterproof seal gave up. Last week at Sturgis, the bike sat through another bad rain storm with a Zumo 665. I started getting XM antenna errors on my Zumo. This one was only a year and a half old. I'm researching where to put the new antenna on the bike - fairing or tourpak? Any thoughts. - Mike

·
13,027 Posts
could you use the XM antenna for just FM use only?

Why not mount horn down to the left side of the battery.

·
Registered
44 Posts
could you use the XM antenna for just FM use only?

Why not mount horn down to the left side of the battery.
There's not enough room by battery. I tried. Unless you want to take part the horn from the compressor. Easy install inside left on fairing. You'll be shocked how perfect it fits there

1 - 20 of 26 Posts