Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry for the partial click-bait, but I'm curious who else has had problems with rear lowering links?

I had a squeak develop in the rear suspension, so I decided it was time to tear it all apart and figure out what needed greasing. What I found was a little more disturbing.

Mounting bolt is bent, and was beginning to be machined through. Anyone know what causes this kind of failure? Obviously the onus is on me for using a non-factory part, not trying to blame-shift here.

Link is 4 years old and has 7,000+ miles on it.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I saw several others posting over the last year or 2 about lowering links that failed in the same way.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Sorry for the partial click-bait, but I'm curious who else has had problems with rear lowering links?

I had a squeak develop in the rear suspension, so I decided it was time to tear it all apart and figure out what needed greasing. What I found was a little more disturbing.

Mounting bolt is bent, and was beginning to be machined through. Anyone know what causes this kind of failure? Obviously the onus is on me for using a non-factory part, not trying to blame-shift here.

This is the only type of link that I have seen fail. The heim joint is not at all like the factory pivot. Maybe it's not designed for the stress loads created by the suspension.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the only type of link that I have seen fail. The heim joint is not at all like the factory pivot. Maybe it's not designed for the stress loads created by the suspension.
Yeah, when I installed the link, it raised my eyebrows a bit that the heim joint on the lowering link was smaller than the stock link, which required the spacers to sit outside the joint instead of being necked-down and going inside the joint like it should be.

I'm thinking the spacers deformed, and bound the joint up, which in turn bent the bolt during a hard suspension hit.

·
Registered
269 Posts

Yes replace this .. If you contact the manufacture he may replace it.. He offered to replace mine but I already bought a new one from witchdoctors.. If the bolt breaks like mine did the frame will set down on the back tire.. I left a 300 foot black mark.. And an equally impressive mark in my shorts. Lol

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
That link just looks like a piece of **** , and IS much different looking then the stock / WD link ... I would change it to a WD or Miller Link and not look back .

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That link just looks like a piece of **** , and IS much different looking then the stock / WD link ... I would change it to a WD or Miller Link and not look back .
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll probably do that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes replace this .. If you contact the manufacture he may replace it.. He offered to replace mine but I already bought a new one from witchdoctors.. If the bolt breaks like mine did the frame will set down on the back tire.. I left a 300 foot black mark.. And an equally impressive mark in my shorts. Lol

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Yes, I reached out to the manu and they offered to replace at a discount. I think I'm going to replace with a different type though. I might even go back to stock.

That is a scary ride you had. I'm so glad I found the issue before the same happened to me. Thanks for your info!

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
I just put a Witchdoctor's adjustable link on my 2014 CCT a couple weeks ago. It looked just like the OEM that I removed, I do not anticipate any problems with it, but will keep an eye on it.

I would sell you the OEM take-off real cheap.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
I just put a Witchdoctor's adjustable link on my 2014 CCT a couple weeks ago. It looked just like the OEM that I removed, I do not anticipate any problems with it, but will keep an eye on it.

I was thinking of you Russ when I read this post.... All ok with yours?
Jim

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thank you so much for the offer! I was able to locate my stock link, so I will either be putting that back on or getting a WD link as well.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In general though, do people like the fixed length lowering links or the adjustable? In a way I like the idea of adjustable, but I'm worried that it would undo itself at a bad time, you know?

·
13,002 Posts
I'm guessing with adjustable link after a few times of adjust you just leave it where its at and say the heck with it

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I decided to replace this one with a WD link. It looks like it's a better design. Should be here Friday!

Thanks everybody for your information!

·
Registered
266 Posts
In general though, do people like the fixed length lowering links or the adjustable? In a way I like the idea of adjustable, but I'm worried that it would undo itself at a bad time, you know?
I like the adjustable link. It allowed me to lower the bike to exactly where I wanted it. There is a locking nut designed to keep it in place. I have not had an issue with the link length changing over time.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
I like the adjustable link. It allowed me to lower the bike to exactly where I wanted it. There is a locking nut designed to keep it in place. I have not had an issue with the link length changing over time.
I agree. I doubt that mine is at one of the 'fixed' lengths but rather at 'my' right height.
The Witchdoctor's link that I have has two lock nuts and if you think about the physics of it either one would hold it nicely as they either turn together or not at all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts