Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've had my XC for over a year now and put 14K miles on it. I still love it but I'm getting annoyed with the rattle I get in the fairing and bags when I hit hard bumps in the road. Anyone else having this issue?
It's a plastic like clangy rattle. Am I the only one?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought that was where mine was coming from too. So I took that part off and put some cut up inner tube between the plastic pieces, like a gasket. Still rattles. I really don't want to tear into the whole fairing but maybe I'll have to.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Soon as I could after I bought my bike and finished my first road trip, I took every piece off the bike one area at a time so that I could ride it at a moments notice. But anyway, after removing each piece I checked the bolts and the spreader nuts that anchor them and found that most of the spreader nuts were improperly fitted into the slots made for them... one at a time I fitted the nuts properly. Some of the connections were good, but for the most part all of them needed to be adjusted... now I have no rattles or shakes.

PS... I was sort of amazed that there were so many bolts and nuts without locktite or some type of locking system on them... well, not really amazed.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yeah my faring rattles real bad at speeds over 70 and rpms over 4,000. It sounds like it's coming apart if I try to wind it out in 3rd or 4th gear. Kinda scary actually but I figure if it's going to blow up I should try and gernade it while it's under warranty.

I think primay rattle is coming from the windshield. It seems to vibrate at the edges where the fairing and shield meet.

I love the suspension on this thing but I guess the honey moon is over for me. Between the loud tranny, rattles, vibration and lack of performance I'm thinking seriously about trying to flip it and go back to a wing. I just hate to go back to a Jap bike and I refuse to buy into the HD culture.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bob
yes I think the Honeymoon is over for me too. However based on my previous experience with my Hammer I know the performance is there. I believe once I get the rattles in the fairing worked out all will be good again. Then its pipes, fuel controller and airbox mods. I did these to my Hammer and turned it into a real screamer.

·
Registered
293 Posts
That's good to hear I really want to stay American made. Part of my problem is that I have no point of reference as this is the only Vic I've ever ridden.

Perhaps mine does have a problem. I'd sure like to ride another one just to compare. I'll be looking for a demo ride soon.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yep, the rattle bothers me as well. This winter the fairing is coming off and I'm tightening and insulating everything under there. The performance is there guys, you just have to tap it. Pull the restrictive rubber strip from under the tank that blocks the air filter, instant power increase. Add pipes, hi flow air filter and a fuel controller and she really starts to rock. Add cams and they scream!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Yeah my faring rattles real bad at speeds over 70 and rpms over 4,000. It sounds like it's coming apart if I try to wind it out in 3rd or 4th gear. Kinda scary actually but I figure if it's going to blow up I should try and gernade it while it's under warranty.

I think primay rattle is coming from the windshield. It seems to vibrate at the edges where the fairing and shield meet.

I love the suspension on this thing but I guess the honey moon is over for me. Between the loud tranny, rattles, vibration and lack of performance I'm thinking seriously about trying to flip it and go back to a wing. I just hate to go back to a Jap bike and I refuse to buy into the HD culture.

Don't see anything about muffler, filter, or any other performance mods in your sig, but my starting point was 81/97 on my dyno, and now with just D&D mufflers, Vic filter[strip removed], VM1 cams, and Vic S1 mapping. I am pulling 107/116 on the same dyno. Quarter mile has gone from 13.3 to 12.6, and if I can figure out how to get this big bitch to launch now. I should be down to 12.4

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah Bob, I'm with Kevin. I don't have tons of time in the saddle of a GW but I've seen the HP/TQ numbers on the new ones. I dare say from a performance standpoint, an uncorked XC should match or exceed that of a GW when you figure the weight difference in. There's no question about the cool factor being better on the XC ;-).

·
Registered
293 Posts
That is great news guys. So far I have no mods. I spent every penny I could scrape up to buy it so I need to replenish the funds.

No doubt about the cool factory being much higher with the XC plus I think the suspension is really good match for the wing. I'm not thrilled that I'll need to spend nearly to $2,000 to get it close to the performance of the factory stock wing.

To bring this thread back on topic a little let me ask this. With the performance mods that will uncork this beast does the vibration, rattle and stroke pulsation get much worse than what it is stock plus what effect does it have on the life of the motor?

I'm a hotrod guy with several cars and in general that's the trade off. I'd hate to make it less reliable and less comfortable just to satisfy my need for speed.

Thanks again for all the input!!! It's much appreciated and I learn more everyday.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I did those mods to my Hammer I noticed only more power + exhaust loudness. The RPW pipes are pretty loud.
Now, I think my XC vibrates more than my Hammer did (at least I notice it more probably due to the frame) so I won't know from experience till I get the mods on. But I'm thinking that the only thing about the vibration I don't like is the damn rattle in the fairing. If I can get a handle on that I'll be pretty happy about it. Other than the noise I don't really notice the vibes.
I hear you on spending money to bring it up to an expected level. It's the same thing with 4x4's, they should come with a real lift and mudders. And these bikes should come with the good exhaust, open airbox and fuel controller from the factory. Damn EPA. But there's always a bike with more power, especially when you're comparing apples and oranges.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Okay, I've had my XC for over a year now and put 14K miles on it. I still love it but I'm getting annoyed with the rattle I get in the fairing and bags when I hit hard bumps in the road. Anyone else having this issue?
It's a plastic like clangy rattle. Am I the only one?
I hope you keep us posted on the rattle issue. Fortunately I only have a slight rattle between first and second gear. Then when I hit a bump but nothing worse than the metric bagger I had before. That could change since my bikes only two months old with only 1500 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
13,161 Posts
Have you tried pulling the headlight and feeling around inside the fairing? The chrome ring just pulls off (carefully) and the headlight comes out with four bolts. Unplug the two connectors and you have pretty decent access to the inside of the fairing.

If you need to pull the outer fairing off; it really isn't a big deal either. Just be careful when pulling the speaker covers. I've heard of at least one person breaking one. T-Handle Allen wrenches really come in handy for this particular job.

If you need a Service Manual you can download one HERE.

·
Premium Member
13,161 Posts
Don't see anything about muffler, filter, or any other performance mods in your sig, but my starting point was 81/97 on my dyno, and now with just D&D mufflers, Vic filter[strip removed], VM1 cams, and Vic S1 mapping. I am pulling 107/116 on the same dyno. Quarter mile has gone from 13.3 to 12.6, and if I can figure out how to get this big bitch to launch now. I should be down to 12.4
Kevin, if this keeps your AFR in the right range, this is exactly what I will do then. I won't be building the motor beyond this point. I'll use the Nascar6 mufflers instead of the D&D's but other wise the same.

Do you remember where this put your AFR? I know it's hot where you live too so I'm hoping this will work here in the bowels of hell. :D (We are in a heat wave right now)

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
That is great news guys. So far I have no mods. I spent every penny I could scrape up to buy it so I need to replenish the funds.

No doubt about the cool factory being much higher with the XC plus I think the suspension is really good match for the wing. I'm not thrilled that I'll need to spend nearly to $2,000 to get it close to the performance of the factory stock wing.

To bring this thread back on topic a little let me ask this. With the performance mods that will uncork this beast does the vibration, rattle and stroke pulsation get much worse than what it is stock plus what effect does it have on the life of the motor?

I'm a hotrod guy with several cars and in general that's the trade off. I'd hate to make it less reliable and less comfortable just to satisfy my need for speed.

Thanks again for all the input!!! It's much appreciated and I learn more everyday.
First off lets not be fooled by IMPRESSIONS. In the real world a wing turns a 13.1-13.3 in the 1/4. Though a pro rider can get it down to 13.8

As a Vtwin guy I find that the only vibration I feel is what it takes to give a bike feeling. Nothing excessive. Adding cams had zero effect on it from a daily rider standpoint and I literally have at least 100 bikes out there that have 10's of thousands of miles attesting to the reliability

Bbob,
Mixture is in the mid-high 13's. A tad leaner then I would ordinarily tune to, and I will be plugging in a PCV to see what kind of difference I get

·
Registered
381 Posts
XC mods

Bob c350: I came off of a Boulevard 109 so I hear you when it comes to performance. I knew up front I would be disappointed coming off the line so I went with a power commander & slammer pipes. It did provide a noticeable boost in performance but still will never compare to my old ride. The drawback is you may loose a few mpg with the PC. The nice part for me was the pipes were free from the dealer http://www.arizonavictory.com/ when I purchased the bike along with free install on the PC
I am a firm believer of louder pipes as they save lives & definitely raise your testosterone level. Besides, all those annoying sounds around you get drowned out!
As far as vibration, you simply can't compare going from a flat 6 to a V twin. The smoothest V twin I have ridden is HD but maintenance & reliability issues gives it a thumbs down.
After a while, you may learn to contend with the over 70mph vibration as I have, but I have never looked back & like you, will never go back to a Jap bike.

·
Premium Member
13,161 Posts
Bbob,
Mixture is in the mid-high 13's. A tad leaner then I would ordinarily tune to, and I will be plugging in a PCV to see what kind of difference I get
Thanks Kevin. In your opinion; can the Freedom motor be ran reliably with just the S1 flash and your other mods without the PCV and not overheat?

Does the S1 flash change the timing at all?

·
Registered
372 Posts
my rattle is from the hump on top of the dash for the windshield support
I had the same problem on my '10. I took this piece off and expirmented with some self stick foam weatherstrip from the hardware store I already had in the garage. I struggled with putting it underneath this piece and still be able to snap it back into place like it should but then I realized if I put some on this piece where the windshield could push against it by the mounting screws, it would hold it tight. I did this and took a utility knife razor blade and carefully cut the weatherstrip so it was only about 1/16" thick. Installed the windshield and no more problem. I should have taken pics of this to post but didn't at the time. I can try to do this so everyone can see.

·
Registered
293 Posts
First off lets not be fooled by IMPRESSIONS. In the real world a wing turns a 13.1-13.3 in the 1/4. Though a pro rider can get it down to 13.8
Look I'm the new guy here so I certainly am not looking to start a pissing match with you. I bought the Vic because it fit me better than anything else out of the box, I didn't want to buy another jap bike and the ride is great. None of that has changed. I knew full well that it did not have the performace of the GL1800 but I'm happy to hear that if I want to spend a couple grand I can get close and it will still be reliable. I'm not cutting down the vic, I'm just not used to the vibration, noise and rattles. Mine is the only Vic I've ever been on, for all I know it could have problems. I hope to ride another soon for comparison.

I ride with GL1800 guys all the time. They can blow me away at will any where from a standing start to top end. I can get on their GL1800 and put them on my Vic and it's the same story. It's certainly not an IMPRESSION that the stock GL1800's are much faster than my stock Vic 106. As someone said we are not comparing apples to oranges and I understand that.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts