Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did a search and found one thread of a guy on a Hammer that had this happen. It caused him to dump it because he tried to start it when it indicated it was in neutral but it wasn't. I am seeing this on my Vision. It has done it 3 or 4 times now. I am not sure if it would try to start or not, haven't had that happen yet.

Today as I was leaving a parking lot I realized I had not tuned on my Sena. So I stopped the bike put it in neutral, both indicators showed it was in Neutral had the little N and the big N, but when I let out the clutch it lurched and died.

Should I have this looked at or is this a common thing with these bikes? It's still under warranty, but if I take it to the dealer I am sure they are going to tell me they could not duplicate.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm become real careful when I dump the clutch in neutral. I've never had the false neutral issue but I have released the clutch too quickly thinking it was in neutral. It was in first and luckily I had a tight hold on the brake!

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
It's probably a very good idea to check if it's really in Neutral. I hardly ever do and I've been lucky so far. I shall check more thoroughly from now on.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
I really dislike how noisy this power plant is, so I decided to try VR1 20W50. The result was a noticeably quieter engine and transmission. The downside was missed shifts, false neutrals and difficulty hitting neutral.

I went back to my favorite oil and the bike returned to normal. Might not have anything to do with your issue but something to consider.

·
Registered
611 Posts
That's a different definition of false neutral than usual. Typically false neutral describes missing a gear and ending up in "neutral" between two gears because nothing engaged fully. The result is no power delivered to the wheel. In your case it sounds like a fault in the neutral switch circuit and is probably something you should look into. Seems like something is causing the switch to close (open? I don't have a wiring diagram in front of me) when it shouldn't be.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
That's a different definition of false neutral than usual. Typically false neutral describes missing a gear and ending up in "neutral" between two gears because nothing engaged fully. The result is no power delivered to the wheel. In your case it sounds like a fault in the neutral switch circuit and is probably something you should look into. Seems like something is causing the switch to close (open? I don't have a wiring diagram in front of me) when it shouldn't be.

I guess I should read the entire post, my bad

·
Registered
212 Posts
I actually had it happen ONCE on my 2000 mile trip this past week. I didn't think much of it at the time, but it did make me look a little stupid since it was at a busy 4 way light in downtown Sturgis...

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I suggest before going to neutral that you give it a little gas with the clutch engaged and then slowly release to see if you are actually there.

Now, I love the ease of shifting my new to me vegas but these bikes need a neutral assist because finding it sucks. I've tried downshifting to 2nd, stopping, barely touching lever down, and she lights up. This much easier than going to first and then searching for it.

Forget finding it if I stop on a slight hill. I just shut it down and remember to crank it with clutch engaged.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
My XCT has a neutral assist. The only downside top it is it's very hard to pop-start if need be.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I suggest before going to neutral that you give it a little gas with the clutch engaged and then slowly release to see if you are actually there.
Easy to do when you are not in a hurry. But try the scenario where you have a wasp inside your shirt and you are quickly trying to get into neutral to get the wasp out of your shirt...

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Easy to do when you are not in a hurry. But try the scenario where you have a wasp inside your shirt and you are quickly trying to get into neutral to get the wasp out of your shirt...
LOL! That's why you wear shirts without buttons or openings. I had a bumble bee teach me that lesson.

Best practices for these situations is hit kill button while putting kickstand down and roll on the ground like you're on fire or pull your shirt off.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
I've had three different situations...

1. Stop at a light (flat surface), shift to N to streatch, shift to first, hear the THUD of the tranny, N light goes out, light turns green, release clutch and nothing. Hit the shifter again and it THUDs into gear and I go. :mad:
2. Same scenario, get the green N light, let off clutch and the bike lurches and dies. :mad: :mad:

Now, when I'm at a light and want to ensure that I'm in 1st, I'll hold the front brake while letting out slightly on the clutch. If the front end squats, I'm good. If not, :mad:

3. Take off from a light, shift to 2nd, release the clutch and am in N. :( This is probably me not shifting with enough umph.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've had number one from navycraigs list happen once or twice on my XR. But truthfully, every bike I've ever owned has given me one of those WTF just happened moments with the tranny. :eek:

·
Registered
632 Posts
Two things among many that 45+ years of bikes taught me, Never trust a neutral light, Ease the clutch out slightly first when you think it might be in neutral; And learn to hit the kill button in an emergency...

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I've had my XC indicate "neutral" when it was in gear a few times since I've owned it(when down shifting to a stop) Luckily I learned some time ago to ease the clutch out a bit to make sure I'm actually out of gear before a full release.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I did a search and found one thread of a guy on a Hammer that had this happen. It caused him to dump it because he tried to start it when it indicated it was in neutral but it wasn't. I am seeing this on my Vision. It has done it 3 or 4 times now. I am not sure if it would try to start or not, haven't had that happen yet.

Today as I was leaving a parking lot I realized I had not tuned on my Sena. So I stopped the bike put it in neutral, both indicators showed it was in Neutral had the little N and the big N, but when I let out the clutch it lurched and died.

Should I have this looked at or is this a common thing with these bikes? It's still under warranty, but if I take it to the dealer I am sure they are going to tell me they could not duplicate.
My XCT does this from time to time also. Killer is it only does it when your in traffic at a light with lots of people looking.
It seems that it has been a while since this has happened to mine.
Maybe as the miles rack up it is getting better.

If you have the time to wast then take it to the dealer. The worst case would be that there would be a record of the issue. But I bet dollars to doughnuts they will not have an answer for it.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts