Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the issue, fast idle cable is not working. When I "engage" it, cable appears to be slipping by the lock nut at the engine. There is alittle movement on the arm at the engine. Therefore I believe the cable is not broken. I know I need to remove the seats (easy). Need to remove gas tank also to get to it. My question is this, are there any sort of check valves or shut off valves on the tank so I don't have gas everywhere? Should I remove gas from tank all together? Any hints or ideas to make job easy will be greatfully helpful. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Which bike do you have?
Had the high idle cable disconnect at the motor side once on my '99 after I had cleaned and relubed the clutch cable. I had to take it all apart and just put it back on and all was good. After that I made sure to keep the slack tight anytime I had the left control apart.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is an 06 jackpot. I have a manual. It says to relieve the fuel line pressure by depressing center of bleed valve. Is that bleed valve like a check valve? I see nothing in manual about shut off valves for fuel, just wrap a rag around bleed valve.:confused: Hoping to tackle it this weekend. Another foot of snow here might as well start checking off the to do list.

·
Premium Member
1,637 Posts
Not an expert or Vic mechanic, but the few times I have removed my tank, the little that comes out is what is draining from the discharge side of the pump. A towel should provide enough to keep it from getting all over your bike. Don't turn the tank over or lean it too much, if your tank is vented, then it will start to leak out of the vent tube.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Before you go through all that work you should know this. Regardless of what the owners manual telss you the corect operation of the fast idle is...
Turn bars to left, and pull the lever
Idle should be approximately 1200 RPM
When the bars are straightened the idle should drop to base

This was done to make sure you do not kick the trans into gear at 1500+RPM. The engineers did it years ago, but for some reason the manual people have never taken notge

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will try that KevinX. I do know that I had no responce what so ever when I pulled the lever before the bike got stored. If it possibly safes some time hey what the heck I"ll do it. Working on it Sunday,will let you all know how it turned out. As a newbie to forum, want to let all you know this is the BEST site for fixets, ideas, shortcuts and the such. Thank you for taking the time out of your day to do what you all do for us Vic owners!!cheers

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: Fixed fast idle today. Turns out it just needed adjustment. Taking tank off/on was a piece of cake. Only advice is to keep track of your parts, 1 1/2hr job took 2 1/2hrs because rubber gromet for tank mounts fell off under some cabinets. I am such a dumb a$$!! Kevin, after adjustment idle does exactly what you said,thanks for info.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
I feel ya. I dropped a very small part a couple of weeks ago and it took me an hour to find it. I was crawling on the floor like a snake. LOL

·
Premium Member
1,637 Posts
I feel ya. I dropped a very small part a couple of weeks ago and it took me an hour to find it. I was crawling on the floor like a snake. LOL
Been there...Done that!:rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts