Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we talked about a fat tire on the front of a XC a couple of weeks ago, and it got me looking around. Then I spun a bearing and damaged the hub on my 21" wheel. Instead of just throwing a stock wheel back on. I went to the tire calculator, and found that a 160/60/18 is almost the identical height as the 130/70. The 160/60 is a readilt available rear tire, and so I ordered a cheapish Perelli to try it with. Mounting it was a bit of a bastard. The wheel should really be .5" wider, but I did get it on. The fender is super tight, but after a 10 mile ride I had no rubbing at all. Looks real tough in person. Has that.....hhhhhmmmmmmm whats different about that bike look

Attachments

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Is it safe to assume the size tire is only available in a rear tire? Looks damn cool to me

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it safe to assume the size tire is only available in a rear tire? Looks damn cool to me
That's the only way I found it. People been running them backwards for a while.

·
12,983 Posts
We were running tires backwards 20 years ago.
Paul Yaffe put a 180 on the front of a road glide. He said it would be the next trend

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
That looks sweet!
Is that the 21 or 18" front fender?

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
After squishing it on that rim do you think it ended up accually wider than a 140 on the same rim width? Do you have a caliper big enough to measure it?

Seeing that makes me want to do a 180 on a 5.5 rim but I think I'm going to stick with the 140/r21 we talked about. That would save me from having to buy a rim I just need to figure out a fender and trying to get it painted to match the Magnum might not be to easy.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Handling?

So how does it handle? Much heavier steering or about the same. It would seem to be putting more rubber on the road the way it looks. Does it feel good in the turns. I actually think it looks good. But I think these bikes handle pretty good,do not want to screw the handly up,ha,ha. Looks sharp, may do this myself next time I need a front tire. Thanks Kevin for the pictures. Please let us know how this tire wears also. Also what psi are you running in it? :nerd

·
Premium Member
13,046 Posts
Looks badass! I run a rear tire on the front but I run it rolling the normal way. I figure it will dispel water better that way. I understand why some folks run it backwards but so far it hasn't been an issue on any of the double darkside bikes. It's also wearing great. 17k on it so far and it only looks half worn.

I may look into something like this when my front tire wears out.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks badass! I run a rear tire on the front but I run it rolling the normal way. I figure it will dispel water better that way. I understand why some folks run it backwards but so far it hasn't been an issue on any of the double darkside bikes. It's also wearing great. 17k on it so far and it only looks half worn.

I may look into something like this when my front tire wears out.
Take a look at the tread pattern on a normal front tire, and you will see that it is designed in reverse of the rear. Braking, and turning like the
Sipe lines going down and out from center

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Put some more miles on her today. The word I would use to describe hadeling is is "confident" . Slight heavier at parking lot speeds. Very stable at highway speeds, and very responsive to body inputs. Was steering by just rolling my hips for while, and the front end was less likely to "fall" in to the turn. Really happy with it

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,046 Posts
I wasn't aware of the reverse pattern on the front. Now revering the front tire makes sense to me. Thanks!

I think you may have started a fat front tire trend Kevin!

Are you a double darksider or a front darksider only for now?

I'm going to be test riding my new rear Stone Driveguard CT today. Funny thing is when it's off the rim it won't fit up into the fender well due to the frame struts but after getting it mounted; it fits just fine with room to spare.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wasn't aware of the reverse pattern on the front. Now revering the front tire makes sense to me. Thanks!

I think you may have started a fat front tire trend Kevin!

Are you a double darksider or a front darksider only for now?

I'm going to be test riding my new rear Stone Driveguard CT today. Funny thing is when it's off the rim it won't fit up into the fender well due to the frame struts but after getting it mounted; it fits just fine with room to spare.
If there was a good 175 run flat. I'd run a CT, but I don't like the 195's

·
Premium Member
13,046 Posts
If there was a good 175 run flat. I'd run a CT, but I don't like the 195's
I'm with you 100% on a 175 run flat. I had to bite the bullet and go with a 195 run flat. I'll let you know what I find with this particular one with lots of tread depth. Just going by what I've read on the Goldwing Darksider forum; the roundness of the tire and the air pressure can make a huge difference. This one looks fairly round so I'll soon see. I'm starting out at 38 psi. Just having my coffee and doing some yard work first. Got an escape artist new dog who keeps finding the weak spots. Never had a dog this smart and determined to roam the neighborhood before. He always comes back and doesn't wander too far thankfully. Ok. Enough off topic.

·
Premium Member
13,046 Posts
Quick update on this Driveguard 195 wide tire. Feels pretty good but it is a tad more sluggish than the 175 Winter Sport RF I was running. Going on a longer ride now but don't think my overall impression will change much other than I will simply get used to it and not notice the difference in 20 or so miles.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
. Just having my coffee and doing some yard work first. Got an escape artist new dog who keeps finding the weak spots. Never had a dog this smart and determined to roam the neighborhood before. He always comes back and doesn't wander too far thankfully. Ok. Enough off topic.
Sounds like someone has a Beagle

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
That really looks sharp. I like it. My dirt road would like it too.
Larger tires do much better in the loose stuff.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts