Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking forward to spring and some long rides. My first one is to circle the Grand Canyon. Lots of long lonely open roads on that trip. Have done it in a cager several times. I am looking forward to doing it on the bike.

What are some of your favorite places to ride when you just want to relax aand see nature?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
In 05 I got to take a ride up to Oregon. It was really beautiful up there. Much greener place than our beautiful Arizona.

·
Registered
396 Posts
yellowstone national park,just keep an eye out for
buffalo crossings.thumb up

·
Registered
436 Posts
One of my favorite long loops (5 days to smell the roses)

Take highway 1 down the coast from the SanFran area all the way to San Diego. Take several backroads up to the Palm Springs area and then go up thru Palmdale - Lancaster to get to 395 and go thru the high desert thru Lonepine, Bishop, Mammoth Lakes, Bodie into Carson City and then back home through Lake Tahoe-
I am always in such a great mood/happy on that ride - there is so much to do and see along the way - I try and do it every year cheers

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
First Post

Greetings all. Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth here and give my vote to Nova Scotia. Beautiful coast line, outstanding twisties and a chance to haul the bike from Yarmouth to Portland on the Cat. Check it out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Favorite Ride

Highway 191, Eastern Arizona. From Morenci to Alpine or from Alpine to Morenci. I've never counted the twisties but there are plenty & the views & elevation changes are spectacular. Eat at the Bear Wallow Cafe in Alpine. I live in Las Cruces, NM this is a great ride Saturday ride. Right at 600 miles

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Walygator I believe that is the highway that use to be called 666,you got it the devels highway. I went on it a couple of years ago. Great rode. Pay attention many,many curves,lots of beautiful scenery.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Another Sweet Ride

If you ever get up to Laconia, New Hampshire for bike week, make sure to ride Rte 11 along the south shore of Lake Winnipesaukee and the Kancamagus Hwy.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Oops!

OK...apologies to my Southwest brothers and sisters. I'm new to this forum and didn't realize that this thread was for places to ride in the Southwest. Belay my last! :eek:

·
Registered
381 Posts
S/W rides

Southern Utah for sure. Head up to Panguitch, head over the mountains to Cedar City, then come back on the "low road" to Hwy 89. Going east to Bryce & beyond is a great ride as well.
In Az, you definitely need to take the ride from Flag south thru Sedona then over the mountain thru Jerome into Prescott. Top it off with the backroad south to Wickenburg.
By the way, if you do make it to the North Rim, go north to Kanab then over to Zion. A must drive is to the little known area west Zion. The road dead ends at 7000' at the top of a mountain alongside a trout lake. Incredible views coming back down the hill!

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
pretty flat and ugly around here in comparison to some of what you guys have posted..I did in the corp get to ride I-5 down the coast into Mexico from pendleton...loved it..spent a week in ensanada...but honestly anyday i get to ride where ever it is its nice..

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
I'm retiring shortly and am dreaming up places to ride here on the Left Coast. High on my list is California Highway 36 between Redbluff on I-5 and Fortuna on 101 on the coast. Check it out on Pashnit.com. Another dream ride is to do all the Sierra Passes between Highways 395 and 49. Rides I've done before that are worth repeating are: The Avenue of the Giants in the NoCal Redwoods; the Kalamath River country just south of the Oregon line and between I-5 and the coast; McKenszie Pass in central Oregon; Beartooth Pass (great way to enter or leave Yellowstone Park); the Hopland Grade between Clear Lake and Hopland on 101 in NoCal - after loading up on great Mexican foods at Laguna in the town of Clear Lake and donuts at Bruno's Shop Smart market in Lakeport. I better stop this before I get myself too hungry.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
One of my favorite long loops (5 days to smell the roses)

Take highway 1 down the coast from the SanFran area all the way to San Diego. Take several backroads up to the Palm Springs area and then go up thru Palmdale - Lancaster to get to 395 and go thru the high desert thru Lonepine, Bishop, Mammoth Lakes, Bodie into Carson City and then back home through Lake Tahoe-
I am always in such a great mood/happy on that ride - there is so much to do and see along the way - I try and do it every year cheers
I thought Lake Tahoe was gorgeous.

Funny story. After we visited Lake Tahoe, we rode down and took in the Yosemite park. While there we walked along and struck up a conversation with a lady who was from Tahoe. We told her that we just visited and really enjoyed it.

She asked us where we stayed and we told her "Carson City." Her response was "I'm sorry."

Here's a couple views to tide you over:

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
pretty flat and ugly around here in comparison to some of what you guys have posted..I did in the corp get to ride I-5 down the coast into Mexico from pendleton...loved it..spent a week in ensanada...but honestly anyday i get to ride where ever it is its nice..
Hey Hoss! What year was that ride to Ensenada? Made that trip once or twice myself back in '81. Slept on the beach with a $5 poncho to keep me warm! Stopped in Puerto Nuevo for all you could eat lobster! Those were the days. Semper Fi! cheers

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have an annual ride in September that I have been doing for the past few years. Leaving Vegas head NW to Bishop, Ca and then a long route to Mammoth Lakes, Ca. Next day ride west over Tioga Pass then loop to Sonora Pass and then up to South Lake Tahoe. The next day is a short ride around the lake and down the hill and stopping the last night in Virginia City, NV. Last day is heading back home to Vegas via the 395 and then east to 95 at Lone Pine, CA.

It is a great ride that when I miss it, I just don't feel right for months. This year we will make the ride with a bunch of our friends from Vegas and Cali and it will be the beginning of our 9 day honeymoon on the bike.

Anybody want to join us?

·
Registered
207 Posts
PCH from Southern California to Monterey is one of my favorites, as well as heading south from the Grand Canyon and going in the back way to Flagstaff is another and I'll add in the ride South from Flagstaff passing through Sedona on to Jerome.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I rode this on my Shadow a couple years ago. Going to do it again on my Vic.

Kingman, South on 93 to 71, to Congress.
Pick up 89 to Prescott then 89A to Jerome.
Several curves in Presscott area, but The Mingus Mountain Drive just before you get to Jerome has 158 curves in 12 miles.
Spend night in Cottonwood, I can't remember the name of motel, but its on top of a hill, overlooks the Red Rocks of Sedona, awesome at sunset.
Continue on 89A to Flagstaff take W I-40 to Ashfork, just past Ashfork take exit 139
(Route 66) to Seligman, Road Kill Cafe works LOL, then back to Kingman on 66.

You can do it in 1 day, but better with at least 2. Lots of stuff to do other than the ride.

Ride safe,
Loren

1 - 20 of 26 Posts