Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all!

Gary here aka Gmaxx. I joined this site over a year before I became a Victory motorcycle owner. My cousin owns a Victory KingPin and had introduced me to the Victory motorcycles couple of years ago. We went out a test ride on the Victory XC & Vision. I immediately knew I had found the bike for me. Fast forward a year later and I just picked up my brand new Victory XC Tour last Thursday. We hasn't even been a full week yet and I've logged over 620 miles. Loving every minute of it. So just wanted to say greeting to all. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
Welcome from Connecticut, I joined this site back in April to do a little research before I bought my bike. I was expecting to buy in about 9 to 12 months. A few weeks later, it's sitting in my garage :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the greetings broggyr! I'm stepping up from a Suzuki C50 Boulevard. Night and day difference, LOL The little 800 was nice as a starter bike. But I out grew that bike within the first 3 months as much as I ride. But once I was introduced to the Victory Cross Country line of baggers I was hooked.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I remember looking at the C50's back when they were called the Marauder. Way too small for me. IMy last bike was a Goldwing. CCT has more room for me and handles better, believe it or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cant believe I ran accross this thread.

Im in the same boat! Just joined this forum to read up more on the bike. I came from a 07 C-50 myself a few years back, moved up to a new to me 08 Vstar 1300 which I love.

HOWEVER ... Im wishing at times for that 6th gear still, the Vstar MUCH improved over the C-50 which was also a great bike to start out on. Heck, I dont know,maybe just looking for an excuse to buy another bike. I do love my Vstar 1300 but ... well, you know ..?

Anyway, I fell in love with the looks and lines of the Cross Roads.
Looking for maybe a little more stability at super slabs speeds which are easy to do a GPS speed of 75 MPH all day long. I say GPA speed because I have to do an indicated speed of 83 on my 1300 to actually be doing a true 75! Also at that true 75 I am turning around 37/38 hundred RPMs, which the bike handles fine but feel like I am pushing things to far.

Here are my concerns, will it be as reliable as my Yamaha vstar 1300 tourer?
As I get older, will the 100 lbs weight difference make me wish I didnt switch? We do a lot of interstate and also local.
Many trips up to the mountains in NC,Maggie Valley and Tail of the Dragon as well as the other way to the beach. Typically at highway speeds of a true 75+.

I really Loved a Cross Roads I saw a couple weeks back but doubt I will do anything this year ... I need to research this like crazy, another MAJOR concern is lack of Victory dealers in my state, SC.

Ok, rushing to work, look forward to learning more about this bike and if it is for me. I love to learn more about it and hear thoughts on the above.

Ill update my stats later ... this is current -
08 V Star 1300 Tourer - Mustang Seats, Cobra Speedsters Longs w/ Modified Quiet Core Baffles, Memphis Shades Lowers, Bridgestone Exedra MAX bias ply tires, Additional driving and stop lighting, Drilled Air Box, Cobra Tach.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
excellent hijack, alarmguy! I'll bite!

I can't compare the Star 1300 to the XR having never ridden the Star, but here's what I can tell you about the XR

Indicated 85 mph is 3100 RPM. I don't have GPS, but I believe my speedometer to be no more than 3% optimistic at worst. The bike glides like a Cadillac at 85, except unlike a Caddy, it can still corner. Minimal effort is required to pull the Ton from that speed, if you're so inclined to try.

It is my opinion that you'll never notice a weight difference. I came from a Vulcan 900, and the XR feels easier to sit upright, easier to handle at super-low speeds, has less steering effort...basically it's so well-balanced the 100-lb difference will never reveal itself.

Unless it makes its way on top of you, at which point I would assume you have more to worry about than how much more a bike weighs than your last one. :ltr:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey alarmguy, My thoughts on stepping up from my first bike the Suzuki C50. I pulled the trigger on the C-50 3 years ago as my first bike. IMHO! Great starter bike with adequate power. And I do mean just adequate. I believe the wet weight of my C-50 was around 600 plus pounds. It looks bigger than what it really was. I logged 30K miles on that bike under 2 1/2 years. I just picked up my new XC last Thursday and have ridden every day since and now have over 700 miles in 6 days. I have the XC Tour version Which the manual says wet weight is around 835. I must say for such a big bike the XC is a very easy ride once you figure her out. With the C50 I was pretty much able to use heavy counter steering with her and leaning. To me the XC is such a well balanced bike that a lot of counter steering is not needed. And I learned that very quickly by the way she handles. While in motions at speed for a bike of this size it's effortless really to maneuver. I really found that you don't have to counter steer really as a slight pull on the bar in the direction you are turning does it quite nicely. While on the C50 aggressively taking corners required a lot of counter steering and body positioning. With the XC you literally just turn the bar in the direction of the turn and she tracks dead on. And with such high ground clearance you shouldn't have to worry about scraping the floor board. Night and day difference at highway speeds. The XC at 70 plus in 5 is putting along around 3k rpms. Kick it into 6 six and you can ride that, Aw well up the scale quite a bit and in six gear the rpms are still hanging around 3kish rpms. Plenty of roll on passing power. Now to me the got cha are the bike is so well balance and likes to be upright. In a parking lot and walking her back and turning keep her upright and just turn the bar and she pretty easy to do even standing still for a girl of her size. Problems kick in if you learn her over while walking her back and turning in a parking lot. The weight gets to far on the side and she going over. But no worries with the tip over protection she not going but so far. Final word on the XC. I love this bike. Handle and rides like a dream. And great power band all the way around and the suspension soaks up the road bumps and snakes quite nicely as well. She tracks through cornerS dead on. I hope this feed back helps you in your decision on the XC OR XR.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow, great posts form the both of you, Luciferiad and gmaxx, they are a great help and wanted to say thanks in advance.
Will read them over again, in fact book mark this thread so I can go back to it.
Both of you, coming from 2 bikes in the 800 to 900 cc class is a big help.
My 1300 weighs just over 700 lbs and a piece of cake to handle and the way the XR felt in the showroom surprised me as I expected it to feel more top heavy, taking into account no fuel in it. Of course it felt more heavy but not as heavy as I expected, yes, those parking lots will concern me and parking the wrong way up or down a slope!

Anyway, this week I am buried in work at work, this weekend moving my daughter back to college, good news is, the dealer with the XR I really liked is in the same county as her college, so HOPE to get my wife to the dealer so she can try sitting on the bike.

I cant thank you enough and look forward to re-reading these posts.
One other concern is heat, my god it gets hot here in the midlands of South Carolina, excpett for this year, its not uncommon to be in the 95 to 95 and up range for months, I do get concerned about air cooled bikes from a comfort stand point, yet I read and hear the liquid cooled Kawi 1700 Vulcan is pretty brutal, maybe worse, so guess it all goes with the territory of a larger engine.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Greetings all!

Gary here aka Gmaxx. I joined this site over a year before I became a Victory motorcycle owner. My cousin owns a Victory KingPin and had introduced me to the Victory motorcycles couple of years ago. We went out a test ride on the Victory XC & Vision. I immediately knew I had found the bike for me. Fast forward a year later and I just picked up my brand new Victory XC Tour last Thursday. We hasn't even been a full week yet and I've logged over 620 miles. Loving every minute of it. So just wanted to say greeting to all. :)
Welcome Gmaxx! Miles add up quick on these bikes i ride mine to North Carolina about 2 weekends ago and it just floated the whole way there got off the bike in Raleigh tired from the time not the ride

1 - 10 of 10 Posts