Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We picked these babies up on Sunday and i finally snapped a few pictures (sorry, iPhone pics). the 8 ball is mine and the midnight cherry vegas is my fiancés. I am so excited right now!!

I already have a list of mods, but first will be finishing the addition in our house (turning it into a motorcycle garage)!!! :cool: It is about the size of a 1 car garage and is set off the back of the house. Much cheaper than building an actual garage. The only problem is that the door that is there is only a 32" door. Do you guys think if i went with a 36" door it would be wide enough? I don't want to go to crazy so when i sell the house, the room can be converted back.

I do have one more question for all of you guys and gals here......When i am done with the garage, will i need to winterize the bikes since they will be climate controlled all year? How often would i need to start them up and let them run?

Thanks!!!! thumb up

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!

Any opinions on winterizing them if they will be stored inside year round? (garage pics above are parents garage).

·
13,027 Posts
For your winter months put each tire on a block of wood. To prevent tire root.
Put each bike on a battery tender.
Fill the gas tanks.
DO NOT START BIKES IN WINTER. There is no benefit to doing so and it can foul plugs and create condensation in motor.
Throw a blanket over them and let them sit till spring.
By the way you don't need to heat your couple cave cause of the bikes. Cold will not hurt them. I live in Minnesota and the lowest my garage has every been is Zero and the bike is just fine.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the good advice Johnny! I appreciate it. The addition is part of the house so it will be at least 65 degrees all winter long. They will be on the Coin grid lock flooring from rubberflooring.inc. Should I still put the bike on blocks? I wont be able to cover them, only reason is that I will miss them too much! HAHA I know I am looking too far ahead! I need to focus on now and riding! :D

Thanks again though for the info. cheers

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
+1 on what visionjohnny said, especially about not starting the bikes. So bad on so many levels. Only do so when you are going to take them out for a significant ride. Before putting them up for the winter, on the last ride, take along some fuel stabilizer and add it to the tank when topping it up at a gas station. That way, stabilized fuel will be all through the system by the time you arrive home.
Re that door; make it 42" and bikes can be wheeled through. Did that to a door between my shop and the attached garage.

·
Registered
154 Posts
As for the door...have you thought about a double door? Easy to do (relatively...and much more room to move in and out of!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Double door might work too! I have a small window about 2 feet from the door that would make that project pretty easy! If i go with a single door then 42" would be the smallest i should go with? Thanks for all the input fellas!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RICZ,

I cant find a 42" entry door anywhere! Did you have yours custom built? The largest i can find at lowes and home depot is 36".....this wouldnt be wide enough?

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
RICZ,

I cant find a 42" entry door anywhere! Did you have yours custom built? The largest i can find at lowes and home depot is 36".....this wouldnt be wide enough?
That's strange, cuz 42" doors are common to hospitals, rest homes, etc. Try a salvage store, if you have one there.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will try that. Thanks!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Your tires won't need the wood or carboard under them. Only if the room is going to be below freezing do you need to place the wood. You should see what a small roll up door would cost. If your adding on to your home make it best for your needs and don't worry about resell

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Would a roll up door work if the addition has a second floor? Would that be enough support still? By no means am I a "handyman" so sorry for the somewhat silly questions. Haha.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Would a roll up door work if the addition has a second floor? Would that be enough support still? By no means am I a "handyman" so sorry for the somewhat silly questions. Haha.
A roll up should fit without any problems. I have seen them as narrow as 5 feet. You may be able to get a over head door that narrow ( garage door) and a remote opener. As for the span a header is required for any opening. the larger the opening the larger the header. A 4" x 12" would do any opening up to 8 feet without any problem. You may need to hire a carpenter to help you with the framing, and to support the structure above while your making the opening.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks a lot!! That's really helpful!!! :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Few new shots of my fiancé and her Vegas. :) God I love her!!

Attachments

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts