Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went on a 200 mile ride today with some friends, my tuner/builder (on a 8.80 1/4 ZX12), and a friend of my tuner/builder on a Harley. We'd talked bikes at a few stops and the guy on the HD was really interested in what I had done. When we came up on a really long flat straight road, I got waived to the front. The HD wanted to go from a first gear roll so I got down to about 15mph and let the clutch totally out. We stabbed it and once we both caught traction, we were dead even. At about 65mph, he jumped ahead putting my front tire even with his rear tire. I stayed right there til 115mph when he missed a shift and I blew by him in a split second.

Needless to say, I was shocked. His bike is 80lbs lighter, he's about 70lbs lighter, and he was one heck of a rider (feathered his clutch to keep in his powerband without a tach).

If a couple grand in modifications/upgrades to my boat hadn't turned into $8k+, I'd have the bike back in the shop for upgrades but at least now I have motivation for next winter's round of bike mods.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My builder just sent me some info on the HD... 80" EVO stock bore/stroke with big compression, head/port work, big cams, and S&S intake. And yes, my builder built it and told me the guy's Road Glide is meaner :(

I am in central Illinois also..Send me a PM..

Cisco Il..Right off of I 72
Will do.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thank you for the post. It is nice to see a Victory Rider say a Harley can be a very good running bike. I know we will hear about the weight difference, But this is a older motor. It started life as a 80CI motor. Back to the drawing board and get him next time. Best of luck with your bike and motor.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the post. It is nice to see a Victory Rider say a Harley can be a very good running bike. I know we will hear about the weight difference, But this is a older motor. It started life as a 80CI motor. Back to the drawing board and get him next time. Best of luck with your bike and motor.
No problem. We did a 50mph roll and we stayed dead even with neither of us gaining an inch. Our horsepower to weight ratio must be identical. I was just in shock because I'm used to sending Big Dogs scampering back to the porch. I'd always heard my builder was amazing and today just drove the point home more cheers

Can you elaborate on this comment? I am trying to figure out how doing such a thing while drag racing would be helpful.
When we took off, I was totally out of the clutch and just let the bike gain rpm as speed increased. He pinned the throttle and feathered the clutch to modulate rpm/tire spin. He's by far a better rider than me. I heard him and my builder talking about all the road/drag racing they used to do together back when the HD guy had sport bikes.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found a picture from today. The HD on the left is the one I ran and my builder is on the right on his sleeper ZX12.
The ZX12 looks stock with the exception of light weight two-piece wheels and air-shifter. Fully forged motor, PC, nitrous, etc with a stock swingarm running 8.80 quarter mile. Funny thing is... He's a road racer with two track bikes and its his street bike he rides. He also sponsors a full road racing team.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
carburetor models of Harley really scream when they get the jetting set right. Hard to start but scream, EFI model I had you was limited unless you wanted to put a ton of money into it. I am pretty sure it was carburetor model you ran.

·
Registered
229 Posts
i've heard the ol' fxr was a really quick stock harley from several people. i almost picked up a pretty clean one for 5k a couple months ago, but i couldn't justify it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The clutch was no way stock, did the S&S have a fuel line going up the front (feeding Thunder Jet)? If your careful one can get over that 80 - 80 number real easy and the plain looking ones are sneaky.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
If your careful one can get over that 80 - 80 number real easy
If you are willing to spin it faster and trade torque at the bottom for it, sure. Everything is a compromise and the only way to avoid compromises is more cubic inches. If you built an 80", 100 HP EVO, you wouldn't want to put that engine in a dresser.

101 HP EVO:

Not much happening until 5000 RPM...

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The FXR carried the same old 80" EVO motor as every other Harley of the time... A well done EVO at 80 inches makes 80 & 80 at the rear wheel.

Whoa... I got so excited I peed a little.
I heard this one is putting down low 80's HP and about 100TQ.

The clutch was no way stock, did the S&S have a fuel line going up the front (feeding Thunder Jet)? If your careful one can get over that 80 - 80 number real easy and the plain looking ones are sneaky.
Not sure. I should have checked his bike out better. I'm sure we'll run into each other again with the mutual friends we have and I'll check then. My builder said he's never owned anything that didn't run wicked and I believe it. I've seen the guy's Glide.

I'm 6'0" and about 240-245lbs. He was about 5'10" and 170-180lbs. Plus my Hammer is heavier. It takes a good bit of horsepower to make up that difference so I guess I'm not really suprised we were dead even.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have a friend with a 1999 EVO softail. He blew a head gasket years ago so went with re-boring, pistons, cams, mikuni carb, precision brakes... the bike screams, and still gets good mpg. With the gears instead of chain cam belt I always thought the EVO was one of the best engines HD made. He's thing of upgrading as he wants to go tour bike and I think he'll miss it.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Before anyone starts losing face in Victories, I've got S3 cams, S&S intake, etc but pipes that are very restrictive.

I should have done exhaust during my winter upgrades but I have other things that suck money out of my wallet right now.

·
Registered
60 Posts
In the ZRX years we always found that the bike that dynoed with the more HP always won the drag race..Torque was not a issue generally..But the bike with 8-10 more HP always showed in a drag race.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts