Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crash bar Vic closeouts in the open position, Memphis shades fork mounted wind deflectors and fairing mounted wind deflectors. This is beyond hot and the bike ran like it was 75 degrees outside not 120.

Before people comment about the dash temp inaccuracy I do believe at that moment on 4-6 lanes of cars at 113* with the pavement reflective heat and the heat given off by the cars around me riding at 75-80 mph it was every bit of 120 degrees. I stopped for gas and the key was so hot I almost couldn't hold it to unlock the gas cap. The gas cap was brand you hot as well as the clutch and brake levers and the bike didn't miss a beat. Ran perfectly.

Attachments

·
Registered
427 Posts
120?? You must have to suck down a couple of bottles of cold water every time you gas up! Living in New England, it's never that freekin' hot! If it comes close to 100, it's misery on the highway. We do have to deal with the cold weather, though. However, it's possible to dress for the cold. Heated grips and seat help too.

·
Super Moderator
4,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
120?? You must have to suck down a couple of bottles of cold water every time you gas up! Living in New England, it's never that freekin' hot! If it comes close to 100, it's misery on the highway. We do have to deal with the cold weather, though. However, it's possible to dress for the cold. Heated grips and seat help too.
I drank a quart of water before I left. I've been riding year around here for 20 years so you do get used to it and learn how to dress for extreme heat.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
But.....Its a dry heat............Just like an oven. I lived a lot of years in Southwest Oklahoma. Similar type weather. Hot is freakin hot. I have seen 108 on my temp indicator so far this year here in Fla where I am. I know it aint been that hot and it was probably built up heat from sitting and a black fairing. But it was every bit of 96.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Drinking plenty of water while riding is very important , even if there is chill in the air , extreme heat is no exception and should be taken seriously .

·
Super Moderator
4,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vin,

I am just curious, What kind of clothing do you wear when riding in those conditions?
Boots, long pants, T-shirt, textile jacket with no liner and full finger gloves.

·
Super Moderator
4,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Protection from the sun helps with dehydration. Have to cover up.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
110+ plus!?!?!!!?!??!!?? nope...noooope......noooouuuppp......nuh uh......was out in Vegas in September and it was 85 when we woke up at 5:30 in the morning to go out to fire canyon....I'm cool with hot weather, I'm happy with the temps we get in Ohio, but it can get humid.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Crash bar Vic closeouts in the open position, Memphis shades fork mounted wind deflectors and fairing mounted wind deflectors. This is beyond hot and the bike ran like it was 75 degrees outside not 120.

Before people comment about the dash temp inaccuracy I do believe at that moment on 4-6 lanes of cars at 113* with the pavement reflective heat and the heat given off by the cars around me riding at 75-80 mph it was every bit of 120 degrees. I stopped for gas and the key was so hot I almost couldn't hold it to unlock the gas cap. The gas cap was brand you hot as well as the clutch and brake levers and the bike didn't miss a beat. Ran perfectly.
I can only imagine how that felt ! The Vics are hot enough ! :)

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Boots, long pants, T-shirt, textile jacket with no liner and full finger gloves.

Agreed, your cooler in full gear. I ride in the same level of heat. I always keep covered. One thing I do is as the bike is warming up and I cover up once my helmet and jacket are on I'm moving. Its the sitting still that's a bitch.

After about 115 it can be 115 or 122 etc. Makes no difference really. I can ride all day in 120 degree heat as long as I'm moving with good gear and lots of water. Once you get to higher elevations where the temp drops to say 105- 110. Its actually refreshing.

Good gear is a major key. You want good gear that ventilates well. Its worth the extra coin to buy higher end gear.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I only dress one way... Jeans, boots, vest and shirt. Short sleeves in the summer, long in the spring & fall. I have ridden in 120f heat and I have also ridden in 40f temps. If I get chilly I throw on my leather shirt... I am all about not looking like a construction worker. All those mesh coats seem to be bright colours.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
I only dress one way... Jeans, boots, vest and shirt. Short sleeves in the summer, long in the spring & fall. I have ridden in 120f heat and I have also ridden in 40f temps. If I get chilly I throw on my leather shirt... I am all about not looking like a construction worker. All those mesh coats seem to be bright colours.

Yup, my jacket is BRIGHT neon yellow/green and screams see me don't run over me. Covered arms are cooler just are but not cooler in a Kewl Macho kinda way if that's what your looking for. I have slide across pavement from a motorcycle accident. I guess my skin is thinner than yours. Levis last roughly 2 inches and disintegrate, t shirts probably don't fair as well. My new shoei helmet had a huge gash from the chin bar to just past where ones ear would have been. Helmet and textile jacket ruined, money well spent. My ugly mug and thin skin saved. Shoulder in 5 pieces fixed up right up after a couple of surgeries.

Its way too late in life for me to worry about looking kewl and I damn sure am not getting any better looking. As far as you riding in a T-shirt its all good, you can ride in a speedo if it floats your boat.

And damn you are a tough dude if you can ride in cold weather. Not sure but 40 mph at freeway speeds of 80 mph would be around 20F wind chill? At 35 it would be what like 15F? And all you need is a long sleeve shirt for the chill? A tip of the hat, your one tough hombre. I'd need a blow torch to thaw out my nutz after a ride like that.

·
Super Moderator
4,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mine's black and in 120f you have to cover up or you dehydrate I have a lot of miles in daily heat like that in the summer. If I went out in a short sleeve shirt for a 6-8 hour ride I would end up in the hospital on a 115* day from sun burn.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I found out a few years back on long trips long sleeves worked better. I will wear the weather wicker type (under Armour) type shirts. They keep the sun off you, I have a couple in brite colors to help be seen. If you get hot you can soak them with some water and it cools you off pretty good. I have also wore my Tourmaster Air jacket on long trips, and as mentioned, as long as your moving it OK.

·
Super Moderator
4,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I found out a few years back on long trips long sleeves worked better. I will wear the weather wicker type (under Armour) type shirts. They keep the sun off you, I have a couple in brite colors to help be seen. If you get hot you can soak them with some water and it cools you off pretty good. I have also wore my Tourmaster Air jacket on long trips, and as mentioned, as long as your moving it OK.
Mine is a Tourmaster Intake 3.0 and without a liner it's like wearing a screen door so you get lots of air but no sun beating on you.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Yup, my jacket is BRIGHT neon yellow/green and screams see me don't run over me. Covered arms are cooler just are but not cooler in a Kewl Macho kinda way if that's what your looking for. I have slide across pavement from a motorcycle accident. I guess my skin is thinner than yours. Levis last roughly 2 inches and disintegrate, t shirts probably don't fair as well. My new shoei helmet had a huge gash from the chin bar to just past where ones ear would have been. Helmet and textile jacket ruined, money well spent. My ugly mug and thin skin saved. Shoulder in 5 pieces fixed up right up after a couple of surgeries.

Its way too late in life for me to worry about looking kewl and I damn sure am not getting any better looking. As far as you riding in a T-shirt its all good, you can ride in a speedo if it floats your boat.

And damn you are a tough dude if you can ride in cold weather. Not sure but 40 mph at freeway speeds of 80 mph would be around 20F wind chill? At 35 it would be what like 15F? And all you need is a long sleeve shirt for the chill? A tip of the hat, your one tough hombre. I'd need a blow torch to thaw out my nutz after a ride like that.

Maybe my math is off? 10c = 40f doesn't it? I was trying to use the proper measuring units for you southern folk. I rode through a rain storm last Thursday night for 1.5 hrs and temp was 9c. T shirt, flannel button up, leather vest, leather shirt, boots, jeans, chaps, bandanna on my face, deerskin gloves, beanie helmet.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Travis.. Ok I just cheated, 10 Celsius is 50 F ...40f is 5 Celsius so with wind chill maybe -3 or -4 c??

In either case, I couldn't ride without long sleeves in 120 F (49C). I'd burn to a crisp in no time.

I don't doubt you at all, just saying your a tough one being able to do so

1 - 20 of 85 Posts