Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
827 Posts
" This morning we were told they hope to have the fire contained by Oct 18th. "

That's IF it rains a lot. Pray for rain.

I'm down here in Eugene/ Springfield, Oregon area.

We are smoked out. It's the second Red flag day in a row. The fires in this area are quite a ways away.

Be safe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
" This morning we were told they hope to have the fire contained by Oct 18th. "

That's IF it rains a lot. Pray for rain.

I'm down here in Eugene/ Springfield, Oregon area.

We are smoked out. It's the second Red flag day in a row. The fires in this area are quite a ways away.

Be safe
Thanks. Rain would be good, very good. Your right about the rains, it will only go out if it rains and rains hard.

The nearest city Republic 20 miles south, just went to level 2 evacuation or get ready to leave.
There is another big fire south of them burning North. Right now the map shows it just 9 miles from town. Definitely going to be an interesting summer.

I just ordered a replacement hepa cartridge for the house air cleaner.
Ordered a unit for the shop.
I'm house bound today smoke is really thick here visibility is 200 yards about. Put on a nosh95 dust mask when the smoke rolled in and in 20 minutes of work it was starting to turn dark. Decided enough of that and headed inside.

October is a long ways away and this fire isn't going anywhere. I'd buy some hot dogs and marshmallows to have on hand but I am afraid it would bring bad luck.:wink

orbiker you might find this useful, it seems to work: http://hint.fm/wind/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
827 Posts
Thanks. Rain would be good, very good. Your right about the rains, it will only go out if it rains and rains hard.

The nearest city Republic 20 miles south, just went to level 2 evacuation or get ready to leave.
There is another big fire south of them burning North. Right now the map shows it just 9 miles from town. Definitely going to be an interesting summer.

I just ordered a replacement hepa cartridge for the house air cleaner.
Ordered a unit for the shop.
I'm house bound today smoke is really thick here visibility is 200 yards about. Put on a nosh95 dust mask when the smoke rolled in and in 20 minutes of work it was starting to turn dark. Decided enough of that and headed inside.

October is a long ways away and this fire isn't going anywhere. I'd buy some hot dogs and marshmallows to have on hand but I am afraid it would bring bad luck.:wink

orbiker you might find this useful, it seems to work: Wind Map

That's pretty cool web site showing the wind.

Check out this one. I use this when traveling. I might be able to avoid a nasty weather by paying attention.

NOAA Graphical Forecast for CONUS Area

I've been up in your neighborhood on 97 many times on my way to Canada or Alaska. Hopefully mothernature will save some of that beautiful countryside from fire.

Again; BE SAFE
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Check out this one. I use this when traveling. I might be able to avoid a nasty weather by paying attention.
NOAA Graphical Forecast for CONUS Area
Wow, that's great. Being able to check the wind forecast days ahead will really help.
Thanks.
I've been up in your neighborhood on 97 many times on my way to Canada or Alaska. Hopefully mothernature will save some of that beautiful countryside from fire.
The scenery will definitely be different on 97 between Omak and Tonasket. Mother natures scorched earth policy.:smile
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So; you are still in stage 2???

I guess that's better then 3.
Not sure were at Curlew which is half way up the stickpin fir.
Tomorrow about 2 they are expecting 35-45 mph gusts and 15- 30 mile an hour winds blowing to the north.

They have told parts of Grandforks BC to move their animals now and be ready to go if they get ember showers. The Stickpin fire the one next to us is about 3 mile from them or maybe a little more in parts. It's been stationary because we have an inversion layer here right now. But that's is changing. U.S. wildfire prompts evacuation alert in Grand Forks





Were making preparations to get out as quick as we can if the weatherman gets it wrong. Sucks big time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
827 Posts
Check out these links.

It sounds like the west fire link might hold.

NWCC :: Home

InciWeb the Incident Information System: Kettle Complex News Release

Along the western edge of the fire, from the upper reaches of Lone Ranch Creek Road all the way down to St. Peter’s Creek Road, fireline is being strengthened through small burnout operations. There are a few short pieces where segments of fireline still need to be connected.

A community meeting is scheduled for Saturday afternoon at 4:00 pm at the Malo Grange, to give people an opportunity to get an update directly from the Incident Management Team.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,025 Posts
Some of the fires on the southern part of the island are getting under control. The circle route to Port Renfrew opened up on Wednesday when I was there. A pretty solid rain over night yesterday and 60 to 90 percent chance of rain over the next 6 days should alleviate some of the problems. I hope the rest of the PNW gets some of the benefits of lower temperatures and moisture.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Check out these links.

It sounds like the west fire link might hold.

NWCC :: Home

InciWeb the Incident Information System: Kettle Complex News Release

Along the western edge of the fire, from the upper reaches of Lone Ranch Creek Road all the way down to St. Peter’s Creek Road, fireline is being strengthened through small burnout operations. There are a few short pieces where segments of fireline still need to be connected.

A community meeting is scheduled for Saturday afternoon at 4:00 pm at the Malo Grange, to give people an opportunity to get an update directly from the Incident Management Team.



The west side is holding well and were really glad of that.
The inversion layer we have experienced stopped the fire dead in it's tracks but the air quality has created it's own problems.
They were looking for respirator cartridges for the fire fighters yesterday morning. Heard they were short on shovels etc too. They are going through equipment very fast. They can't fight the fire from the air because it's mountains here and they have to be able to see to avoid them. They also can't see to land or drop water. Unfortunately there is so much dead wood in the forest that the fire just smolders under a insulating layer of ash and waits for the wind to blow the ash off. Then off she goes. But no winds and cool weather are good. Were loving it except being house bound.

We have it real good compared to most. We have been watching a good friends house on the map for a week who lives about 30 mile from us. Today the fire burned across the highway they live on and is about 1/2 mile from their house and out buildings. They have evacuated as the fire has been a mile or two from the house for a week and it is one of the bigger ones.

Lot of people here have been displaced.
Got this email yesterday from the local church in Curlew:

From the Sheriff's Office: If Republic goes to an F-3 evacuation, the shelter at Republic School will close and move to Colville, check just where that Colville shelter will be...
---------------------------------------------------------------]

At the request of the Search and Rescue 'SAR', shelter coordinator, Lakeview Bible church will be making clothing, bedding, toiletries etc. available in the new church building from 9 am, Monday through Friday. If you would like to help organize and distribute these items, let me know what day you would like to serve, we would like to have 3 people on site each day during those times. Please bring any usable, (can be used but clean and wearable), that you would like to donate to the cause during the open hours (see the list below)

Hanger's, Underwear, for Men, Women and boys.
Backpacks & small suitcases, so that those who come may have a place for their clothing.
Boys socks
Boy's clothes (not toddlers)
men's pants
Tooth brushes, Toothpast, Shampoo
Thanks to all who have already pitched in, good work! Keep praying.


The town of Republic has a huge fire burning just a few miles South of it too. They don't want wind either.


Our concern is always that the fire will cross the Kettle River up north in Canada and begin to burn back south on our side of the river. The fuel load on this side of the river in the national forest is similar to the Stickpin side. Once it gets going it will only go out with the fall rains. If that happens we will have fires on all sides shortly. Time to pack it in and leave at that point.
There is just forest between Republic and here.

I just now got an Email from the same church:Republic F-3 fire alert south of Republic has reached the south of town...but just south of town for now... So the fire is starting to move north again.

Oct seems a long way off. For the present it's the Canadians and the town of Republic that are under the gun. Hopefully they will be OK tomorrow if or when the winds come. Were hoping that the winds don't come. It is not that unusual for the weather forecast to be wrong here because of the effect that so many mountain ranges in a row have on the weather. No one will complain if it is just another smoke filled calm day tomorrow.
http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=48.947559,-118.538017&z=11&t=h,Current_fire&q=http://www.propertylinemaps.com/p/public_land_map/USA/USA_wildland_fire.txt Btw with the map at this link you have to go into the upper right menu and turn on MODIS_thermal to load the satellite thermal imaging that shows where the present hot spots are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Did you get any rain. Some places in the NW got a trace, and other places got a dumping.

Good luck.

I would not want to be in your shoes.
Yes we did. We got some. Not huge but some. The air is pretty clear here considering were next to a campfire. Fed's showed up today to take control. Fema group. They definitely are in charge now.

Went to two informational meetings over the last two days. Basically we were told to be ready to abandon ship. If the weather does things right that won't happen. If the weather does things wrong leave. It's weird but it is what it is.
 
21 - 33 of 33 Posts
Top