Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I bought a first aid kit a while back that I thought would be good to keep in my backpack, but I started thinking about it and decided it wasn't going to be enough if I get anything band aids, gauze, or tweezers couldn't take care of.

I know there are certain things we should keep on us and that there are a few checklists out there, but I'm trying to conserve space while having a good balance of supplies. What do you have in your first aid kit and where did you buy it (if you didn't piece it together yourself)?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have put together kits for all my vehicles & bug out bags-much more economical than buying prepackaged ones. The motorcycle ones are more compact. They have the basics + eye wash/eye cups, sting kill ampule swabs, & burn cream.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
super glue, bandaids, and triple antibiotic ointment. And that's a step up from the duct-tape-and-TP approach I used to use.

I could see maybe some gauze pads, medical tape, and Coban if you took a spill. Maybe some iodine or alcohol wipes. But for anything beyond that, what are you gonna do?

Perhaps check out a military first aid kit at a surplus store. Probably would have a needle and suture thread and all sorts of stuff a field medic could use. But at that point I'd probably just get the duct tape and TP and wait for the ambulance to show up :ltr:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Many good suggestions here; I'll add one more. If you add any accessories to your bike, particularly aftermarket; be sure to add the needed wrench/tool to your tool pouch. For example, I believe Kuryakyn uses standard allen bolts, all the bolts on your Vic are metric.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Yeah, I was thinking first aid for someone or yourself after they or you dump the bike...maybe like ointments for compound fractures and roadrash, scissors to cut clothes, that kind of thing.

Do you just go to your local CVS and raid what they have there?

·
Registered
784 Posts
I guess the first question would be, do you know what to do with more than band-aids and tweezers.
If not, why have it. I keep a minimalist kit. Enough to keep someone alive until the Calvary arrives. I have been a Paramedic for three decades.
It isn't about what you have, but being able to take advantage of what you have. A couple of large bandages, CPR mask, triangular bandages, scissors, and a few other things. It isn't for comfort, but comforting knowing all the things that can be addressed with them.
I'm not preaching, but making the point to know what the things you decide to take along are capable of.

YMMV

·
Banned
471 Posts
Unfortunately I had to break out my first air kit I keep in my saddle bags. It was a small one and I never opened it before. It is fine for small cuts and abrasions. . . but we need it for a guy that went down. It was useless. What seem to work the best was sanitary wipes to clean out the road rash, wipe the dirt off and wipe off the blood. One of the other guys had large gauze pads which worked well to dress some of the worse wounds.

When the EMS showed up they did a great job of patching him up...it was a miracle that he walked away....

·
Registered
86 Posts
I found this little blue bag called "First Aid Essentials". I bought it at my local supermarket and chucked it in the back of my saddlebag where it has lived ever since.

It has 299 items, including things like rubber gloves and a space/survival blanket. It's the cat's pajamas in terms of lightweight first aid kits. I'm estimating its 6" by 6" by 1" in size, roughly.

Contents:

Medicine, Antiseptics:

(6) Ibuprofen tablets
(6) Extra-strength non-aspirin tablets
(6) Aspirin tablets
(3) Insect sting relief pads
(6) Antibiotic ointment packs
(14) Alcohol cleansing pads
(15) BZK Antiseptic towelettes
(2) First aid cream packs
(1) Burn relief pack

Bandages:

(75) 3/4"x3" plastic bandages
(20) 3/4"x3" Fabric bandages
(30) 1"x3" plastic bandages
(10) 1"x3" Fabric bandages
(2) 2"x4" Elbow & knee plastic bandages
(50) 3/8"x1-1/2" Junior plastic bandages
(4) Knuckle fabric bandages
(4) Fingertip fabric bandages
(1) 1-1/2"x1-1/2" Patch bandage

Injury Treatment:

(1) Instant cold compress
(1) Emergency blanket
(3) 2"x2" Moleskin squares
(3) Butterfly wound closures
(2) 6"x3/4" Finger splints
(2) 1/2"x5 yd. First aid tape rolls

Dressings:

(1) 5"x9" Trauma pad
(1) Sterile eye pad
(6) 2"x2" Gauze dressing pads
(4) 3"x3" Gauze dressing pads
(2) 4"x4" Gauze dressing pads
(1) 2" Conforming gauze roll bandage

References, Instruments:

(1) First Aid Guide
(1) Thermometer, one time use
(2) Exam quality vinyl gloves
(1) Scissors
(1) Tweezers, plastic
(10) Cotton tipped applicators 3”
(1) Durable clear-pocket softpack

·
Registered
418 Posts
A SAM splint is a pretty awesome tool if you know how to use it
Keep trauma sheers with it and you can cut it up for finger splints too.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess the first question would be, do you know what to do with more than band-aids and tweezers.
If not, why have it. I keep a minimalist kit. Enough to keep someone alive until the Calvary arrives. I have been a Paramedic for three decades.
It isn't about what you have, but being able to take advantage of what you have. A couple of large bandages, CPR mask, triangular bandages, scissors, and a few other things. It isn't for comfort, but comforting knowing all the things that can be addressed with them.
I'm not preaching, but making the point to know what the things you decide to take along are capable of.

YMMV
I read an article not too long ago about a guy who was riding with his son and his son went down. The guy had a first aid kit that had a bunch of stuff that he didn't necessarily know how to use. Fortunately, the guy in the car behind them when his son went down was an off-duty paramedic and he used the guys first aid kit to stabilize the son until the other paramedics showed up.

I guess I was thinking if I don't know how to use everything, maybe someone there would be able to use it. But I guess there's probably only so much you can do to stabilize someone before the paramedics arrive anyway?

As a paramedic, what would you suggest the average Joe keep in a first aid kit? I know you gave that list, but would you suggest everyone have those things?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found this little blue bag called "First Aid Essentials". I bought it at my local supermarket and chucked it in the back of my saddlebag where it has lived ever since.

It has 299 items, including things like rubber gloves and a space/survival blanket. It's the cat's pajamas in terms of lightweight first aid kits. I'm estimating its 6" by 6" by 1" in size, roughly.

Contents:

Medicine, Antiseptics:

(6) Ibuprofen tablets
(6) Extra-strength non-aspirin tablets
(6) Aspirin tablets
(3) Insect sting relief pads
(6) Antibiotic ointment packs
(14) Alcohol cleansing pads
(15) BZK Antiseptic towelettes
(2) First aid cream packs
(1) Burn relief pack

Bandages:

(75) 3/4"x3" plastic bandages
(20) 3/4"x3" Fabric bandages
(30) 1"x3" plastic bandages
(10) 1"x3" Fabric bandages
(2) 2"x4" Elbow & knee plastic bandages
(50) 3/8"x1-1/2" Junior plastic bandages
(4) Knuckle fabric bandages
(4) Fingertip fabric bandages
(1) 1-1/2"x1-1/2" Patch bandage

Injury Treatment:

(1) Instant cold compress
(1) Emergency blanket
(3) 2"x2" Moleskin squares
(3) Butterfly wound closures
(2) 6"x3/4" Finger splints
(2) 1/2"x5 yd. First aid tape rolls

Dressings:

(1) 5"x9" Trauma pad
(1) Sterile eye pad
(6) 2"x2" Gauze dressing pads
(4) 3"x3" Gauze dressing pads
(2) 4"x4" Gauze dressing pads
(1) 2" Conforming gauze roll bandage

References, Instruments:

(1) First Aid Guide
(1) Thermometer, one time use
(2) Exam quality vinyl gloves
(1) Scissors
(1) Tweezers, plastic
(10) Cotton tipped applicators 3”
(1) Durable clear-pocket softpack
That's awesome. I'll keep an eye out for something like that. Thanks!

·
Registered
784 Posts
I read an article not too long ago about a guy who was riding with his son and his son went down. The guy had a first aid kit that had a bunch of stuff that he didn't necessarily know how to use. Fortunately, the guy in the car behind them when his son went down was an off-duty paramedic and he used the guys first aid kit to stabilize the son until the other paramedics showed up.

I guess I was thinking if I don't know how to use everything, maybe someone there would be able to use it. But I guess there's probably only so much you can do to stabilize someone before the paramedics arrive anyway?

As a paramedic, what would you suggest the average Joe keep in a first aid kit? I know you gave that list, but would you suggest everyone have those things?
Not much of a list I gave, but the jest is, know how to use what you have. Most of the "first aid" kits I see are great for stings, cut fingers, and owies in general. Ointments, are ok for tiny stuff, but not the big things. Yes I carry some Band-aids and triple antibiotic ointment, along with Ibuprofen and a few other over the counter meds, mostly for me because one never knows these days what handing these out can bring back around.I have a different perception of "first aid" than most.
If you are interested, take a first aid class, CPR class, and perhaps even a remote first aid course. They are all time consuming but worth it. See if your local EMS, YMCA, Boy/Girl Scouts, or Fire Department give the courses. It will be basic things, but don't sell it short, the basics are the thing that count. It will give you and idea of what you need to make a splint, bandage, treat shock, and the things that keep folks alive when life turns nasty. It will also teach you how not to cause more damage. Best intentions seem to be a hazard at times.
We never have everything we want, and a proper kit like I carry in the car takes up a nice size gym type bag, and still only has things for basic first aid. The essentials can be used for several things and the knowledge to use them is priceless when it is dark, cold and lonely where you are.
One other thing, crack them open from time to time and check dates, damage, and what you actually have used. Replace things that need it and remind yourself where things are in the kit.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
PakRat's kit has a lot of stuff that I should carry as well, good on you for posting it!

Definite +1 on something for bug bites. We actually do carry both hydrocortisone ointment and diphenhydramine (Benadryl) tablets as my wife occasionally reacts badly to bug bites. Not anaphylactic shock or anything, but she has gotten itchy throat/tongue/eyes from them. Downside is the benadryl makes her groggy, so if we had to use it, we'd have to stop and let her nap.

I'm not familiar with Moleskin, but we often carry a product called Tegaderm which is breathable but waterproof and durable as all hell.

and we always have ibuprofen and aceitominophen (Tylenol).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts