Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to buy a Victory Gunner in 2015 sometime around July. That's when my Jeep gets paid off. This will be my first motorcycle. Was planning to get a Yamaha Bolt. But after sitting on a Gunner, I'm sold.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Lol big difference between a bolt and a Gunner!!!! You made the right choice though a Bolt is a great starter bike but would have been quickly outgrown.

·
Registered
450 Posts
July is a great time to buy a Victory. If you wait till after the dealer meeting, you'll be able to get some great discounts on a 14 Gunner if there are any leftovers.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Welcome, great choice,Think about taking a safety course......:)

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
+1 on Weeds recommendation to take a rider course, if you haven't already. You will be amazed at how much there is to know to properly manage a motorcycle. It ain't no Jeep. And don't forget to wear your protective clothing, road rash ain't pretty.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I already plan on taking the Abate course prior to buying the bike. That way I can set up the insurance with the cheaper rates, lol. Luckily, I do have friends with bikes and I can practice too before the Abate course.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Dopey, if you have never ridden, or are a very green rider, I strongly advise you do not "practice" on friends' bikes. The consequences of crashing one ain't a pretty thought. Take a beginner course where they furnish the bikes and if you dump it, its no big deal. Besides, "practicing" on your own, you will have a very bad teacher who will instill some bad riding habits that will be hard to break. I have over 62 years of riding experience and have taken several courses, including track, even though I'm not a racer. I just want to see you be safe out there--its tough enough these days without you adding to that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dopey, if you have never ridden, or are a very green rider, I strongly advise you do not "practice" on friends' bikes. The consequences of crashing one ain't a pretty thought. Take a beginner course where they furnish the bikes and if you dump it, its no big deal. Besides, "practicing" on your own, you will have a very bad teacher who will instill some bad riding habits that will be hard to break. I have over 62 years of riding experience and have taken several courses, including track, even though I'm not a racer. I just want to see you be safe out there--its tough enough these days with you adding to that.
Thanks. Will do. I have ridden dirt bikes both 125cc and 250cc. I do realize that those are different animals. But, it's something.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Thanks. Will do. I have ridden dirt bikes both 125cc and 250cc. I do realize that those are different animals. But, it's something.
Dirt riders have a distinct advantage over green street riders,so that's points in your favor Dopey. However, there are different rules and things to know when on the street and a course will be invaluable toward cluing you in.cheers

·
Super Moderator
5,034 Posts
Dopey, if you have never ridden, or are a very green rider, I strongly advise you do not "practice" on friends' bikes. The consequences of crashing one ain't a pretty thought. Take a beginner course where they furnish the bikes and if you dump it, its no big deal. Besides, "practicing" on your own, you will have a very bad teacher who will instill some bad riding habits that will be hard to break. I have over 62 years of riding experience and have taken several courses, including track, even though I'm not a racer. I just want to see you be safe out there--its tough enough these days with you adding to that.
Solid advice right there.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Second what Vin said. As a former racer I have to check myself all the time and remember I am not 18 anymore... I have 2 rules of thumb on the street if your not 110% sure don't do it and never assume anything.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dopey.
I don't know what course ABATE is offering to you but the MSF basic rider course, BRC, will definitely put you on the right path. Many of us started off wrong, in my case with no instruction at all, but the BRC helps any rider get things right. I waited until I was 60 years old to take it and found it helped me after I had been riding for 42 years. Well not quite 60, I turned 60 the day I graduated.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The ABATE course is in Indiana that offers basic and advanced motorcycle classes. It also qualifies as the driving course to obtaining your license. Upon completion, gives you up to a $50 discount on your monthly insurance. They even provide motorcycles during the test.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am planning to buy a Victory Gunner in 2015 sometime around July. That's when my Jeep gets paid off. This will be my first motorcycle. Was planning to get a Yamaha Bolt. But after sitting on a Gunner, I'm sold.
I just bought my Gunner in November. Great deals for the end of our riding season. Love it so far. My last bike was a Honda shadow many years ago. The Gunner is a very comfortable ride.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
As others have said be careful on the Gunner for a first bike. The Freedom engine on that thing will get up and go in a big hurry. That is a lot of bike! Glad to hear you are taking a safety course.

Usually after Sturgis they will make deals, rebates, financing, etc to clear the old stock for the new models that have been announced.

Enjoy shopping for a new ride and please ride safe!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts