Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got to take out the bike yesterday. It was the first time since I bought it back in November. A balmy 60 degrees in Chicago area yesterday. My daughter was all smiles :D. Lot's of people eyeballing the new ride which is a 09 Ness Vision. Ride safe all.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Always gotta love that first ride of the year - feels good to dust off the cobwebs. I went out on a 38 degree day back in Jan. Everyone was eyeballing me as well, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't because of the bike itself, but rather the fact that they saw some dumbass riding his motorcycle in the middle of winter.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Always gotta love that first ride of the year - feels good to dust off the cobwebs. I went out on a 38 degree day back in Jan. Everyone was eyeballing me as well, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't because of the bike itself, but rather the fact that they saw some dumbass riding his motorcycle in the middle of winter.

:ltr:

Maybe it wasn't the bike for me after all? Could it be the way I look? Nah. :D

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Two weeks ago was the first ride for me,Did not go far maybe 60 or 70 miles It did feel great. Seems like Mr Winter does not want to let go

·
Registered
33 Posts
We're finally looking at hedging 60 degrees here in Omaha tomorrow, but then another 6-8 inches of snow Saturday. What the hell???? If it wasn't for Uncle Sam I wouldn't be anywhere near this far north.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
guys
in columbus ga, south west 100 miles of atlanta this has been the coldest and for shure the wetest year that i can remember and im 50 . mornings low to mid 20s and 30s all the dam season. now for about a week its geting great. but i have road on a lot of benefit, and poker runs and short hour or two rides all year. its all about THE LEATHER & covering up, what i dont like doing is hard rain and wind that will keep my bike in shop. if i get cought in it thats onr thing but im not crazy about leaving in it. :crzy:

KNWE55 i think you can agree on our cold weather this year?
Yes I agree It is getting better but not fast enough

·
Registered
243 Posts
not to be a smart ass, but... there was a great article evaluating the different heated gear, in Motorcycle Consumer News, jacket liners, gloves, and vests, complete with the controllers.

i realize this would not help with icy roads, but if temps are the issue, i personally have wished i had some on a few rides, and now that i plan on riding more i more than likely will go that way.

steve

·
Registered
33 Posts
Personally it's not so much the cold as the road conditions. I rode year round in Northwest Oklahoma through two winters because all I had was my bike. But, we didn't get as much snow and they didn't put near as much ice melt down as they do here. I went out for a couple of hours earlier this week when the temps were in the high 30s with just a pair of long johns under my jeans, good leather gloves and jacket, and a bandana to block the wind off my face. It wasn't extremely comfortable, but I didn't lose any digits or nose tips. I worry more about the monster pot holes the graders have made and all the sand/gravel on the roads more than anything.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Haha!! Alright maybe we are Larry, Curly, and Moe!! We are not pretty after 5 1/2 month of snow. Had 65 degrees last week,many miles turned in. This week 37 chance of snow. UUUUUGGGGGHHHH!!!:crzy:

·
Registered
48 Posts
not to be a smart ass, but... there was a great article evaluating the different heated gear, in Motorcycle Consumer News, jacket liners, gloves, and vests, complete with the controllers.

i realize this would not help with icy roads, but if temps are the issue, i personally have wished i had some on a few rides, and now that i plan on riding more i more than likely will go that way.

steve
I have a heated vest, but I also have found that snowmobile gear is very effective for those mid winter rides. You are correct, the road conditions are usually the limiting factors. It could be 45 degrees, but if the roads are covered with sand and ice, it is not worth the risk. At the same time, if it's 20 and the roads are dry and clean, I'll be on the bike for sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
fair weather rider

Bought my 09 Vision Street last Christmas and have 2000+ miles already. But of course this is California where the temp is now 70+ degrees. I have already put away my leathers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts