Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just borded an overnight bus from New Orleans to atlanta where im picking up a 2007 burnt orange hammer with the intention to ride it back home to new orleans the same day. Should be an interesting 500 mile journey, especially since i never rode a hammer before. I'll post my esperiences. Hoping everything goes well!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Good for you thumb up

Stock seat might beat you up a bit, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Ride safe cheers

·
Registered
634 Posts
That's a mini Iron Butt ride. You'll know your bike well by the time you get home. Good luck and have a safe ride.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Pay attention on turns fat tire has a different feel. Good luck and have fun

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks everybody! I,ll definitely share what i like and dont like about this bike. Im sure the list of mods will be finalized before shes home, lol!

First bus layover in Mobile, Alabama. Still pretty much feels like new orleans here. 8 more hours to Atlanta. I didnt bring enough benedryl. The two i took already wore off, i slept pretty darn good. Dont know what ill do with the next 8 hours.

Sat next to a quiet chinese lady, she begged me to sit with her, makes me wonder what coock sat next to her before me. Her ride from houston to atlanta is right at 20 hours. Now thats torture! :crzy:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Too funny:
Lady: "Dis one goin to montgrowny?"
Me: " Im sorry, ma'am, i didnt get that"
Lady: " MONTGROWNY!!!"
Me: ...pause... " Do you mean Montgomery?"
Lady: " Yeeeeeah!"
Me: " Sure does!"

Awesome....

Makes me wonder if this is a pet name used for Montgomery down here ir she just had trouble with the name.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Too funny:
Lady: "Dis one goin to montgrowny?"
Me: " Im sorry, ma'am, i didnt get that"
Lady: " MONTGROWNY!!!"
Me: ...pause... " Do you mean Montgomery?"
Lady: " Yeeeeeah!"
Me: " Sure does!"

Awesome....

Makes me wonder if this is a pet name used for Montgomery down here ir she just had trouble with the name.
Just her having trouble. Unfortunately, the "pet" name is rude and racist.

·
Registered
357 Posts
LAst time I was in Montgomery it was a nice place 4 chicks bought me and my buddy dinner and drinks at the Holiday Inn.We got up to take a leak.....hit the bikes and we were gone cheers

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:
Picked the bike up this morning. It was exactly like the owner described.minty, mint orange 07 with 1365 miles. Its nice to know there are stilll honest people out there. Now im 180 miles into my trip back with 320 to go. Taking breaks every 60-80 miles.

So far im really enjoying the bike. The ergonomics seem to be pretty spot on for a 6ft person. I thought my shoulders would hurt already, but not a hint of pain so far. I am especially loving the stability that the weight and wide the rear tire provide on the highway. Its great, cruusing at 70mph is absolute cakewalk, that wasnt so with my m50.

Now heres one thing that hurts, and u guessed it: my butt! This seat is definitely not meant for trips longer than 50 miles. And honestly, so far, thats my inly complaint.

I guess one thing to keep in mind is that my frame of reference is a suzuki m50 blvd. The hammer feels like a pimped out cadillac compared to the m50. So for me this bike so far met, and in terms of ergonomics has exceeded my expectations. :)

Gtg, long trip still ahead, curious to find out what else will start to hurt.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
260 mi done, about 240 to go. Coming up to Mobile in about 70 mi. Thank you Victory for the overdrive gear! Makes cruising at 70-80 silky smooth. But The heat and the seat are killing me. No other complaints so far :)

Btw: gas light came on at 140miles into the last tank. Is that about right?

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
260 mi done, about 240 to go. Coming up to Mobile in about 70 mi. Thank you Victory for the overdrive gear! Makes cruising at 70-80 silky smooth. But The heat and the seat are killing me. No other complaints so far :)

Ultimate Seat. You're welcome.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Congratulations on the bike and good to hear the ride home is going well. Take care of yourself in the heat this afternoon.

·
Registered
450 Posts

Ouch!! I-10 through MS. and LA.

I'm glad you're having a good trip and enjoying the bike. I just moved up from a C50 Volusia to a 2012 Cross Country so I know what you mean about having your expectations exceeded.

·
Registered
151 Posts

The gas light comes on a little early on all Victorys. Your going to have at least a gallon left.

·
Registered
396 Posts
my fuel light comes on with about 1 gallon
left in the tank,hoping you made it home in
one piece.cheers

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks guys, I made it home safe and sound. I hit real bad stop and go traffic around 5pm right at the Louisiana-Mississippi state line (Thanks Creek_IP :p) and after 400 miles on the road the heat really started getting to me bad, so when I got home I was pretty dilerious.

Aside from the heat, this trip was quiet an amazing experience. I really felt like the bike took care of me, it wasn't rough and unrully, instead it was smooth and very tame and forgiving. Talk about getting to know the bike! By the end of the trip I started to feel like it was a part of my body (especially since i couldn't tell where my arse ended and where the seat began). That phrase "becoming one with the bike" never quiet fully made sense to me until now that I experienced it for myself. I'd do this trip all over again (just not in the next couple of days :rolleyes:)

I really have to thank all of you who egged me on to ride the bike back instead of getting a cargo van to haul it back, good call! And as always I appreciate everyones input on all this bike related stuff.

I still can't believe I finally own a Hammer. Ive been saving and looking for one for a while. Just for kicks I go to check to make sure the thing really is there! I know I sound like a 5 year old, I'm actually 29... :D

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Right before the trip home:

This is right before I took off from the previous owners house.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts