Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing some maintenance on my ride this past weekend and pulled the plugs for inspection. They were pretty white, indicating a lean mix. From what I hear this is normal for a stock Vic.

Is there a way to adjust this at home with any type of mechanical adjustment or do I need to take it to the dealer and have them adjust it programmatically? Would they even do this without adding any mods? I would just like to make it a touch more rich considering the temps are heating up here and I'd like to see if I could get it to run cooler.

·
13,247 Posts
Un hook your 02 sensors and it will richen up your motor.
Just un plug them and tuck the wires in so they don't hang down.
No it will not hurt your motor and if have modified exhaust it will take most of the pop out.

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
+1 on what VJ said. Also; pulling your plugs after the bike has been sitting isn't really the best way to check them. It'll give you an idea but if you really want to see what's happening at speed, say 60 mph or so, get out and ride the bike at that speed for a bit then simultaneously let off the gas, pull the clutch, and hit the off button and roll to a stop braking safely. Then pull the plugs. You will then see what the mixture is when you are under load and how it spends most of it's time while running.

Just a bit of extra info if you wanted to try that before and and after you disconnect the O2 sensors.

Of course; getting a fuel tuner is the best overall choice but pulling the O2 sensors will get you near where you want to be and you will love the cooler running motor.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great! Thanks guys.

I know a FC is the best way, which I do plan on adding (PCV w/AT), but it's gonna have to wait a bit. In the meantime, this is nice.

Thank you very much.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well in thinking about it, now I have to ask:

If having O2 sensors makes your ride run lean/hotter, then why were they installed? Seems an all around better setup without them.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The Simple answer.......EPA !!
And the complex answer... ;)

The O2 sensors are a major component in a closed loop fuel injection system. It allows the ECU to make adjustments to your fuel mixture to accommodate all sorts of variables such as altitude, load and temperature...not to mention managing fuel economy. However, political pressure has forced a situation in which the setups on these bikes are set unreasonably lean to meet EPA standards.

I only point this out because it's important to understand that you don't get something for nothing. Disconnecting the O2 sensors may benefit your bike in terms of richening your mixture, but you will lose certain other benefits like responsiveness under load and fuel mileage. That's the reason adding a fuel controller is truly the right fix, which you seem to understand.

Disconnecting the O2 sensor isn't really the "best" answer...just the quick answer.

·
Registered
634 Posts
And as a by product of all this (which started in 2006), manufacturers have increased the engine size to try and keep some power with the motors all congested and snuffled up. HD went from 88ci to 96 to 103ci. Vic has gone from 92 to 100 to 106ci. So at the end of the day, it's not all bad.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I only point this out because it's important to understand that you don't get something for nothing. Disconnecting the O2 sensors may benefit your bike in terms of richening your mixture, but you will lose certain other benefits like responsiveness under load and fuel mileage. That's the reason adding a fuel controller is truly the right fix, which you seem to understand.

Disconnecting the O2 sensor isn't really the "best" answer...just the quick answer.
Well I did understand it, but now I understand a whole lot better. Thanks Dune. That all makes a good amount of sense.

So I did this and this is what I've found on a short ride: Motor is muuuuuuuch cooler. I can't even feel it through my pant legs now (jeans). 100* today and 104* yesterday. Didn't feel one iota of heat from the engine. Awesome result there. I did notice the aforementioned loaded power loss, specifically at around 3500 rpm. I just didn't get the immediate acceleration I was used to. I think I can live with that for the next few months though, or at least until I get a FC.

As a note for anyone else doing this. Disconnect the O2 sensor at the connecter about 6" back from the sensor, not at the sensor itself. I tried for about 30 seconds to disco from the sensor and ran into a lot of resistance. Then I said to myself "hey self, you have a service manual. Look it up.". Sure enough, manual says NOT to disconnect from the sensor, but from the connector a little ways back. Just FYI.

Thanks again everyone. As soon as I can I'll order my PCV w/AT. It almost seems like this should be the first performance mod even before exhaust or a new air box is installed. So I'll pick this up before my Thor and TT.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just add a power commandor i have one on my v92 it work great plug you laptop in tune or use the stock tunes i come pre-loaded with or you can log on there web site and get tunes there to. I love mine just hate my transmission that is why my bike is off the road at the time

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry about your tranny sert.

I do plan on getting the PCV w/AT. However, I also happened to procure THE single most expensive attorney in the state for a trial I'm going through next week. He broke me, so all purchases are on hold. I just needed something quick and easy as the temps here seem to be going up rather than down. Weird I know.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I share your pain. When the first two questions the lawyer asks are "How much money do you have?" and "Where can you get more?", you know it's not gonna end well.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I hope when i take her down it a bent fork i got a friend who has a cnc and can cut new ones. Sorry about the law problem lawyers a a pain in the butt just like the irs some prople

1 - 15 of 15 Posts