Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has a white faced speedo and inside under the glass is a white inner bezel that had discolored due to fading and rust. I think I'm not the only one, as I did a quick search to see if I could find a good used replacement, and the one I found online had the same problem!

I decided to attempt to get the speedo apart to get to that little bezel. Well, I can report it was a PIA, but it can be done!

Once you remove the plastic chrome bucket and get the speedo off the bike you can see how the glass is held on by the aluminum bezel that surrounds the glass. And that aluminum bezel is held onto the plastic speedo case because its bottom edge is crimped down against a ridge that runs around the circumference of the case.

You will find you can get that bezel loose by slowly prying that crimp out of it using a flat screwdriver. Once you have about gone about 1/2 way around it should come off. Heres a pic of the outer bezel once I got it off. I know. Looks rough, but luckily that will all be hidden once its back in place on the bike. The other pic shows the inner bezel after a repaint with satin white.

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thanks for this post, my speedo bezel has been brown for the 5 years I have owned my KP. I will try this one of these days when I have some free time that doesn't involve riding the motorcycle.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a Follow Up

After the pic above was taken, the old paint on the bezel began to lift. I had to go back and remove all the paint and respray. Whatever paint they originally used on it must have really been poor. So anyone doing this fix will want to remove all paint before repainting.

I cleaned the glass carefully and blew out the housing. Is best to use a pair of needle nose pliers and take the crimp out of the remainder of the bezel before trying to replace it on the housing. Once on the housing, I used a flat screwdriver to put the initial "re-crimp" on the bezel by holding the housing upside down on a flat surface, pushing down with the palm of my hand and pulling the bezel in toward the housing with my thumb. Then went around the crimped area again with a small tack hammer to get the crimp in tighter. The crimp will still be uneven. I found it worked well to file the rough spots from the crimp with a small square file. Remember this is on the back of the ridge of the housing and so if flat it will all be hidden by the big rubber grommet that sits between the speedo housing and the chrome cover.

Once the bezel and glass is back on, its an easy thing to use a bit of emery cloth or sand paper followed up by metal polish to remove any scratches from the aluminum.

Turned out better than new:

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts