Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have recommendations on how to mount a flag post on a XCT? I usually ride with the trunk off and only put it on for long distance trips. Hence, I don't want to mount the flag post ONLY on the trunk luggage rack. There really aren't a lot of other good places for a flag mount. Does anyone have any good ideas? Perhaps a custom fabbed mounting bracket? I just want a small ~10-12 inch flag pole on which to mount an American flag or, perhaps, a "Don't tread on me" flag.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Maybe something like this.

Rivco Products FH100 License Plate Mounted Double Flag Holder

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. That looks like it would work when the trunk is off but would have to be removed every time I wanted to put the trunk on. While I don't often do this, it would be a pain to have to remove the flag mount. Has anyone ever seen a flag mount or custom made a flag mount that attached to the rear mounting arm of the chrome bag guards? If such a thing existed, it would not interfere with anything.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Thanks. That looks like it would work when the trunk is off but would have to be removed every time I wanted to put the trunk on. While I don't often do this, it would be a pain to have to remove the flag mount. Has anyone ever seen a flag mount or custom made a flag mount that attached to the rear mounting arm of the chrome bag guards? If such a thing existed, it would not interfere with anything.
It's Amazon. Buy it and see if it clears. If it does, great. If not, send it back.

I was going to go that route for my Vision but then I got the luggage rack and two flag mounts cheap during the blowout.

Attachments

·
12,983 Posts
lay on the ground and look up under the rear fender. You could fab something for coming off frame

·
Registered
28 Posts
Look at Show Chrome 30-113A. It works with and without a trunk.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome, guys. Thanks. I just ordered two of those - one for each of my bikes. The mount attaches to the place where the antenna mount goes so I can only put one on the left side of my bike but everyone knows that left is right and right is wrong :) Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
The 6"x9" size is very popular and it's easy to find many different flags in that size. I bought the Victory/Kuryajyn flag mount and it's impossible to find anyone making a flag that fits that 4.5"x9" size. Once again, the Victory item is nearly worthless as that small flag is all that will even fit on that particular mast.

Maybe someone makes another mast that would fit on the Victory/Kuryakyn mount. I want a USMC flag to match my USA flag and like I said, no one has anything in the 4.5"x9" size.

·
Registered
483 Posts
The 6"x9" size is very popular and it's easy to find many different flags in that size. I bought the Victory/Kuryajyn flag mount and it's impossible to find anyone making a flag that fits that 4.5"x9" size. Once again, the Victory item is nearly worthless as that small flag is all that will even fit on that particular mast.

Maybe someone makes another mast that would fit on the Victory/Kuryakyn mount. I want a USMC flag to match my USA flag and like I said, no one has anything in the 4.5"x9" size.
I found that after I ordered my mounts and flags. I used a awe to put a small hole in a few places and then secured the flag with zip ties. I then covered each hole with super glue to keep it from fraying.

I put them in positions that hold the flag at the knuckle in the post to keep them from falling or rising.

My only issue now is the flag has a few rub marks from twisting around and slapping against the cut end of the zip ties. I need to soften the edges but I figured the flags would need replacing ever so often anyways so I'm not really worried about it.

They still look great.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whew! You guys scared me. I thought for a moment that it was the new mounts/poles that I bought that were the size for which it is hard to find flags. I had to go look at the items I ordered. All is good. They are 6" x 9" which is the size you guys say is easy to find. I plan to fly a USA flag but am tempted to get a "Don't tread on me" flag. Of course, on Saturdays in the fall, I will replace whatever flag is on there with a Michigan State Spartans flag. Patriotism is important but let's not be silly about it. College football still rules all ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Whew! You guys scared me. I thought for a moment that it was the new mounts/poles that I bought that were the size for which it is hard to find flags. I had to go look at the items I ordered. All is good. They are 6" x 9" which is the size you guys say is easy to find. I plan to fly a USA flag but am tempted to get a "Don't tread on me" flag. Of course, on Saturdays in the fall, I will replace whatever flag is on there with a Michigan State Spartans flag. Patriotism is important but let's not be silly about it. College football still rules all ;)
When you get them mounted post up a pic please. I'm interested in these as well, just haven't found anything I'm happy with yet.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here are two pics. It installed quite easily and does not rub on anything so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Here are two pics. It installed quite easily and does not rub on anything so far.
Thanks now I know what those kuryakyn bag lights look like on my bike. :)

Does look like flag blocks view of turn signal? That might just be angle though.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I did a lot of searching and looking the other day for some flag mounts. Finally decided on a Pro Pad mount. It's for a Honda Goldwing luggage rack, but I plan on installing mine on my passenger backrest luggage rack. Checked the measurements, and it should work. They offer different size poles and flags, so I went with the 13" pole and 10x15 flag. I'll post pics when I get it installed. It is supposed to arrive today. Since it's chrome and my backrest and luggage rack are black, i'm going to paint it black.

https://www.thepropad.com/kuryakyn-goldwing-flat-luggage-rack-flag-mount/

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
I love flying the US flag on my bike. I'm a US Marine formerly on active duty and I'm on a US manufactured motorcycle. I very intentionally purchased my Victory CCT. Anyway, I often see people using improper US flag etiquette when mounting a US flag on their motorcycle.

If you have the US flag being flown with a second flag (USMC/USN/USAF/Army/CG etc), the US flag should be on the riders RIGHT, thereby presenting itself on the right as the bike goes down the road.. Essentially, that's stage right. If you have the US flag on your cheese wedges, cam/derby cover or saddlebags, ALWAYS ensure the blue field is going forward, NEVER backwards.

I'm currently only running a USA flag on my CCT so I have it mounted right of center if you're looking at the back of the bike. That's on my CCT truck luggage rack or the Lock & Ride luggage rack.

I do wish I never bought the Kuryakyn flag mount as no one makes a flag in that small / odd size and Kuryakyn's selection is very limited. As in no USMC flag from Kuryakyn.

·
Registered
483 Posts
If you have the US flag being flown with a second flag (USMC/USN/USAF/Army/CG etc), the US flag should be on the riders LEFT, thereby presenting itself on the right from the back of the bike perspective. Essentially, that's stage right. If you have the US flag on your cheese wedges, cam/derby cover or saddlebags, ALWAYS ensure the blue field is going forward, NEVER backwards.

I'm currently only running a USA flag on my CCT so I have it mounted left of center if you're looking at the back of the bike. That's on my CCT truck luggage rack or the Lock & Ride luggage rack.
That's not what I understood as proper but I may be misunderstanding what you're saying.

Proper Flag Display on a Motorcycle

From that link:

Proper Placement of Flags
on your Motorcycle

The American Legion’s Americanism Commission offer guidelines on how to properly fly the U.S. flag from a motorcycle.

With more and more riders across America wanting to show their patriotism there have been many questions about how to fly Old Glory. U.S. Flag code*does not address motorcycle display of the American Flag,*however using guidelines established by the code,

The American Legion’s National Americanism Commission offers these suggestions:*

If the U.S. Flag is flown alone,*it must be displayed in the center,*or at the rider’s right side.

Any other flags,*other countries, POW flags, service branch, etc.,*should be displayed to the rider’s left.

https://blog.directgeneral.com/motorcycles/flag-etiquette-american-flag-cars-motorcycles/

From that link:

How to Display the American Flag on a Motorcycle

Do:

• Mount a single flag standing straight up either a) on the center of the rear fender or b) on the driver’s right side.
• If two or more flags are angled, always angle them out to the same degree.
• Mount two flags on a rear fender leaning out at the same angle, with the cloths parallel to each other facing to the rear of the motorcycle.

Don’t:

• Mount the flag on the driver’s left side.
• Fly the flag at half-staff.
• Fly any other flag higher than the American flag.
• Fly any other flag larger than the American flag. (Flags of equal size are acceptable.)

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The flag pole for my flag mount (see above for pics and purchase details) is VERY stiff and strong and sticks out just slightly beyond the rear of the rear fender. It also has no give or flex. I have already brushed it several times with my legs when walking behind the bike and fear that I will bend the mount or break the eagle at the top of the flag pole. I need to be more careful.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts