Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't have a flashing high beam on my 2011 Vegas. When did that feature get added?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not a bad idea at all, but would be hell on the bulb and or electronics if using HID.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
I have a headlight modulator connected to the low beam, as it should be, not to the high beam. I replaced the photocell that prevents its nighttime use with a handlebar mounted switch, so I can choose whenever I want to use it. Its great for getting left lane bandits to move over and as a "light horn" when approaching shopping center driveways, etc.. I can not begin to count the times it got cagers attention with them hitting their brakes. The Kisan device is an easy plug and play unit. I won't leave home without one. As I've said before; I'm doing all I can to preserve what life is left in this ol' guy.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Run with your high beam on
Not that good an idea. Look up motion induced blindness. The 1970s are long gone.

Sent from a small keyboard using fat fingers.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Not that good an idea. Look up motion induced blindness. The 1970s are long gone.

Sent from a small keyboard using fat fingers.
I'm pretty sure he meant during the daytime.

But anyway, I don't seem to have a highbeam flash anymore since adding the HID bulbs. Takes too long to warm up to be an actual 'flash'.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
+1 on bad idea, especially when high beam is HID. I just want cagers to notice me, not get pissed at me. thumb up

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a headlight modulator connected to the low beam, as it should be, not to the high beam. I replaced the photocell that prevents its nighttime use with a handlebar mounted switch, so I can choose whenever I want to use it. Its great for getting left lane bandits to move over and as a "light horn" when approaching shopping center driveways, etc.. I can not begin to count the times it got cagers attention with them hitting their brakes. The Kisan device is an easy plug and play unit. I won't leave home without one. As I've said before; I'm doing all I can to preserve what life is left in this ol' guy.
I agree, id rather annoy someone, but get their attention. Where can i find one and what kind of switch did you install.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Kisan modulator

I agree, id rather annoy someone, but get their attention. Where can i find one and what kind of switch did you install.
You can find them at Kisantech.com. I supplied a link below. There are others, but I preferred this one as it has a simple plug in design. I suggest phoning them for proper fitment to your bike. There is a wire extending from the modulator and it had a photocell on it to prevent nighttime use per the Feds. I snipped it off, added more wire and a small waterproof toggle switch which I ran up to the left side switch pod.

https://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=2

The toggle switch has not been installed in this photo, but I don't have one at this time. I made a bracket for it that connects it to one of the CB mount's backstrap ends.

Attachments

·
Registered
784 Posts
Headlight modulators are fine. Riding with a solid modern light on hi beam even during the day is a bad idea. Since I'm now at a keyboard I'll 'splain it.

Modern High beams are bright. Real bright, unlike days past when MC lighting was dismal at the very best. Ever wonder why aftermarket companies make so much?

A high beam distorts motion, hides the object behind it, therefor unable to judge distance, or motion. They also create an aggressive driver, either by design or you just blinded them (yes even during the day), an aggressive driver may do unpredictable things. They will pull out on you, cut you off, try to get you out of the rear view mirror, and do it without the benefit of being able to accurately judge distance. See how this could get ugly?

They may take a shot at you, but probably just getting away could end poorly. Anyone want to argue tangling with a cage on a MC will end poorly? People pull out in front of 18 wheelers, fire trucks, ambulances, and TRAINS. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the flashing lights, bells, guard rails, tracks, and the creaming 3 eyed banshee is a bad thing to tangle with. All of them I have worked on that lived, "didn't see it".

Want to be seen? Try riding in proper road position, wearing solid large swath bright clothing so you don't disappear (yes broken patterns do this no matter the color), owning your lane with a good attitude, and learn to judge what traffic is going to do. Nothing is foolproof but, usually we are our own worst enemy. Don't pizz off the folks you share the road with. Chances are you'll lose and we will be reading a sad story on the forums.

Cheers

·
Registered
848 Posts
Rode a Gold Wing for many a year and teh on ething GWrs do is lights. Flashing brake lights blinking head light, lights flashing with turn signals the whole 9 yards.

Couple this to the busy east coast and the bike is lost to the hundereds of other flashing stuff on or near the road.

Add to this the wig wag lighting on the rear and yep I see 'em but what the hell are they doing? We as Bikers drive where we look, if the cagers are looking and I say IF, then they will drive where they look.

As to flashing lights don't they have those on the big... erh... What is the word? Oh yes Fire Trucks and such? they don't see them either.

It has been my expirence on the east coast that strobing headlight while they do get noticed the attention or should I say the response is not generally pleasant to the point of sometimes dangerous for those cagers that just get pissed off.

I am more a fan for anticapating the stupidity of the cager, a steel toe boot in the door, and occasionally reaching in and ripping the cell phone out of their hand and chucking it accross the road.

2 cents from the cheap seats

·
Registered
454 Posts
I almost always run my high beams (unless riding directly behind a car) I could care less if the car going the other way sees my bright light as too much. I only have one headlight as opposed to many cars that have four when running their high beams. I also constantly scan the road ahead looking for any problems before they arise, there are 22,000,000 scenarios that go through my mind on every ride be it to the corner market or across the USA.
I know that constantly running your high beam is illegal and have been stopped for it in the past, but until the one light on my bike equals the lumens to what the four beams do on the average cage I will continue to use mine, BUT I do ride in the right most part of the lane when meeting oncoming traffic to lessen the chance of blinding the passing steel coffin driver.

·
Administrator
5,974 Posts
Headlight modulators are fine. Riding with a solid modern light on hi beam even during the day is a bad idea. Since I'm now at a keyboard I'll 'splain it.

Modern High beams are bright. Real bright, unlike days past when MC lighting was dismal at the very best. Ever wonder why aftermarket companies make so much?

A high beam distorts motion, hides the object behind it, therefor unable to judge distance, or motion. They also create an aggressive driver, either by design or you just blinded them (yes even during the day), an aggressive driver may do unpredictable things. They will pull out on you, cut you off, try to get you out of the rear view mirror, and do it without the benefit of being able to accurately judge distance. See how this could get ugly?

They may take a shot at you, but probably just getting away could end poorly. Anyone want to argue tangling with a cage on a MC will end poorly? People pull out in front of 18 wheelers, fire trucks, ambulances, and TRAINS. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the flashing lights, bells, guard rails, tracks, and the creaming 3 eyed banshee is a bad thing to tangle with. All of them I have worked on that lived, "didn't see it".

Want to be seen? Try riding in proper road position, wearing solid large swath bright clothing so you don't disappear (yes broken patterns do this no matter the color), owning your lane with a good attitude, and learn to judge what traffic is going to do. Nothing is foolproof but, usually we are our own worst enemy. Don't pizz off the folks you share the road with. Chances are you'll lose and we will be reading a sad story on the forums.

Cheers
Interesting that you think a modulated light is okay, but a high beam will piss someone off (and yes, we're talking daytime riding, because you cannot use a modulated beam at night just like you can't use high beam when riding around traffic at night).

Sounds like you should try riding with your lights off so you don't offend someone, or misjudge motion.

By the way, be careful with your "solid large swath bright clothing" as some drivers might become aggressive if you're dressed brighter than they are. :ltr:

·
Registered
784 Posts
Interesting that you think a modulated light is okay, but a high beam will piss someone off (and yes, we're talking daytime riding, because you cannot use a modulated beam at night just like you can't use high beam when riding around traffic at night).

Sounds like you should try riding with your lights off so you don't offend someone, or misjudge motion.

By the way, be careful with your "solid large swath bright clothing" as some drivers might become aggressive if you're dressed brighter than they are. :ltr:
Hmm, I wrote you up a nice comment, but never mind. Sorry to hear the Amin of this forum is in the mindset he is. I hope most of that is humor.
Perhaps Vic riders are no better mannered than the wannabe HD'er.
Sad for sure.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Here in AZ the snowbirds will think you are flashing them, giving them permission to turn left in front of you. They most likely would have anyways but why make it easier for them?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts