Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering, if there are any folding boards for the XCT. It seems strange to me that Victory has seen fit to put rigid boards on the bike. Are the floor boards the first point of contact? Am I missing something? Do I need to find a set of curb feelers?
I'm new to this whole cruiser type machine thing and hope I can adapt well. There will probably be plenty of dumb questions to follow, so thanks for being patient.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I was wondering, if there are any folding boards for the XCT. It seems strange to me that Victory has seen fit to put rigid boards on the bike. Are the floor boards the first point of contact? Am I missing something? Do I need to find a set of curb feelers?
I'm new to this whole cruiser type machine thing and hope I can adapt well. There will probably be plenty of dumb questions to follow, so thanks for being patient.

Cheers
this is the place to ask .lots of great people that have put up
with a lot of dumb ?'s from me. i came from a vtx to a cross roads.
quite a jump--irv

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
There are other options (aftermarket) for floorboards but the fit and function is the same as OEM. If your are leaning in a corner the floorboards will scrape before anything else and if you start to wear through them you can get extra thick hardened floorboard bottoms from Victory Police Motorcycles.

·
Registered
50 Posts
There are other options (aftermarket) for floorboards but the fit and function is the same as OEM. If your are leaning in a corner the floorboards will scrape before anything else and if you start to wear through them you can get extra thick hardened floorboard bottoms from Victory Police Motorcycles.
Check out victorypolicemotorcycles.com website. Under the "other" drop down menu look at "products. The floorboards mentioned are there.
Another product shown on that website that is a big improvement over the standard brake is a"billet brake pedal" that is a little pricey but works well.www.victorypolicemotorcycles.com

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Well, the floorboards fold up a little bit, maybe an inch. Keep in mind that if they folded up any more, you would start to scrape the pipes or the saddlebag guards, at least on an XC or XCT, and that wouldn't be too conducive to good steering.

Here's a crop of a shot of my riding the Tail of the Dragon (Deals Gap, NC/TN) last month, to show you what I mean. This is with about 2,000 miles on the tires, the tires at 40-something PSI front and rear, the shock at 40 lbs., and I weigh, with gear, about 220 lbs.:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
So the XCT floorboards are fixed with no movement at all? I ask because there is a bit of up and down play on my XR.
Nope, they're not fixed on the XCT, at least not mine. I believe both models have the same floorboards and support bracketry.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
As mentioned earlier the boards do have a little movement on all the Xbikes as
all the 11's/12's use exactly the same floorboards/floorboard mounts. 2010 mounts are slightly different because the shifter/brake pedal mount differently than the newer models.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good morning all. It looks like curb feelers are the ticket for me. ( or something to that effect ) Some kind of warning before touchdown.

As for the boards on the XCT, the one I looked at might have had a 1/4 ish inch of jiggle. It was the play in the mounts and that seemed about it. I didn't notice enough movement to give me much warning in the event I was over reaching the lean angle. I don't want my first indication I may have over done it a bit being the tires levering off the ground. I wish I'd have known there wasn't an aftermarket cure for that. Oh well

Thank everyone for the comments and knowledge.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
You probably don't need curb feelers unless you're worried about scrapes on your floorboard bottoms. When your floorboards hit you'll know it and hopefully react the right way. Here's a thread that shows most of what the can take; there are better pictures somewhere on here that show the bottoms worn through.

http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=7701

Keep in mind though that the police floorboard bottoms are much thicker/harder material. They'll limit your lean slightly and give you pretty much the same eary warning that curb feelers do. I'm not a big fan of feelers because they wear too quickly; I demo'd a Judge for about 16 miles and after a bunch of turns from stop signs I worn most of the feelers off both sides.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I completely concur with Ammo.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the pics. I guess my gift of not conveying a thought is kicking in. Boards touching and levering tires off the ground at nearly the same time aren't an asset to me. I don't seek that out, but with the funky roads and at times not being sure if they mean 55 MPH or 15 MPH on a marked 35 MPH curve it is common to drag parts and the need for warning is there.
On a side note, Tyler PD went to the CC and have supposedly dumped several of them because of the lack of warning. (2 to 3) They have all been slow speed, and no real injuries, but have only had them for a short time.

It is a learning experience, I just don't want to learn it sliding in to the ditch LOL

Cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts