Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Debating on getting the flu shot. Only had one in my life and of course right after I got sick as a dog. Not sure if it was the shot but weird that it happened that evening after the shot. Now with all these states have an epidemic I am thinking about getting one. Thoughts?

·
Registered
218 Posts
The flu vaccination is a probabilities game. The CDC identifies what they believe is going to be the most common strain for a given season. As a soldier I have no choice but I'd get one anyhow. Some people will experience mild cold/flu like symptoms for a day or so after getting a flu shot. I may have once but it was nothing really and that was long ago. You can still contract a cold or flu even if you get a shot but you will suffer much less and for a shorter period of time. One other thing I always do is drink lots of orange juice if I even think I sence something may be getting ready to come on.

·
Registered
470 Posts
no shot for me! i hate needles , plus i'm afraid it will come up 5 years from now that they cause some other problem. seems like everything they come up with now causes some side effect worse than whatever it should be treating or preventing.

·
Registered
218 Posts
no shot for me! i hate needles , plus i'm afraid it will come up 5 years from now that they cause some other problem. seems like everything they come up with now causes some side effect worse than whatever it should be treating or preventing.
Not a big fan of needles either but shots are quick, getting an IV was always a real joy. We sometimes have the option of a nasal mist which I always take when possible. I'm not a pill popper and never will be but vaccinations don't concern me from a side effect or long term issues standpoint.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Debating on getting the flu shot. Only had one in my life and of course right after I got sick as a dog. Not sure if it was the shot but weird that it happened that evening after the shot. Now with all these states have an epidemic I am thinking about getting one. Thoughts?
Unless you're allergic to eggs, the shot did not make you sick. The virus in the vaccine is very dead.

Here, I think it's a little late for it here myself. It seems to be peaking now and in the two or three weeks it would take my body to build up immunity to it, it will probably be about over. Out west, you guys don't seem to have it as bad, so it may be worth your while if you can still get it. Here, a lot of places have run out.

It is one nasty bug. We've had two otherwise healthy young adults die from it or from secondary bacterial infections here within the last week.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I have never had the flu nor have I ever had a flu shot. The one thing I figured that has helped me is that I don't have kids and I work outside and I am not around alot of people most of the time. Watch me get it next week after say this!

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I have never had it either, but every time I get sick and can't ride for a few days, I call myself an idiot for not getting with the flu shot program. Last month I missed a day of work, and a whole week of riding from catching the flu. Grrrr! :mad:

·
Registered
693 Posts
I don't get it for a few reasons. Namely, I'm essentially never around those who are really old, young or have compromised immune systems. On top of that, I have a freakishly good immune system (mildly sick twice in the last four years). As for shots, there are also alternate options for it such as the nasal spray.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
I'm fortunate to have a "no cost" flu shot available where I work. Get it every year. Never had an issue with needles, just spiders. :ltr:

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Some 'expert' said it was only 60% effective anyway.... and it's not the actual strain going around, and..... I don't get em.

Rarely get sick.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I get one every year. They are a dead virus vaccine. It is harnless. If you've ever actually had the real flu you'll want the shot.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I always get the flu shot. It's "highly" encouraged at work . . .
The other night, over half my patients had confirmed flu (either by our testing or confirmed elsewhere and were there for related symptoms). Several of the nurses are pregnant, so after the first confirmed case, I had triage send me all confirmed and suspected flu cases. We nicknamed my hall: "Flu Hall". Sure hope my immune system hold up to this challenge . . .:D

I almost never get sick from anything, but when I do it's something real bad . . . Only had the flu once, Kicked cancer's butt, Married and then divorced an ugly money grubbing troll, Survived over two decades as a Police Officer . . . Retired to become an ER-RN . . . Only common sense I ever demonstrated was to buy a Victory and get the flu shot every year!:cool:

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got one over the weekend. Our ERs are filled with all the Flu folks and with it being Snowbird season I figured I would get it. Now if only we could have a vaccine that would teach Snowbirds how to drive:rolleyes:

·
12,984 Posts
Isn't this like asking if I cut my finger do I use a band aid to stop the bleed or not

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not really. Fence sitting as I hear pro and con on the shot and what is in the shot. Done so its moot now

·
Registered
782 Posts
Earlier in my life, some moron told me that by getting a flu shot, you actually GET a mild case of the flu in order to be able to fight it off later. Like an idiot... I believed him, so I never got one.

Each year I would get sick 3-5 times, and each wiped me out for a week to two weeks at a time. It sucked.

My wife finally talked me into a flu shot about 6 years ago, got sick ONCE that year. And of course did NOT get sick from the shot.

I now get it every year and get sick maybe once or twice in a whole year, just common colds.

I'll never skip it again.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts