Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a trailer hitch the only way to fly big flags or is there some other after market way to do it on XCT bikes?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmmmm. Interesting. So no ones flies big flags? I think there's a message there.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I think flying a big flag for more than a parade would make for a weird-feeling ride or putting a lot of strain on something that shouldn't have that kind of strain on it...

·
12,983 Posts
if you do the big flags get a cover for them so when you're not doing a parade you can cover them up.
You can look on the net there was a harley rider who flew his flags all the time. Am guessing at speeds over 60mph. Any how his clutch went out from the strain on the drive train. Harley would not cover his clutch under warranty. So he sued them and loos.
There was a guy on facebook making a flag pole mount but haven't seen him in some time

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I think flying a big flag for more than a parade would make for a weird-feeling ride or putting a lot of strain on something that shouldn't have that kind of strain on it...
broggs , I don't think he is securing it to his gonads .....:grin

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,046 Posts
Yeah. Big D makes 'em for his hitch set up.

https://www.facebook.com/BigDRacks

You could attach a flag pole holder to a trunk rack or luggage rack. Not something you would want to ride faster than 12 mph with though. A common way of doing this is to use PVC pipe with connectors and pins or bolts to hold them together so they can come apart after the PGR ride (or whatever the Flag ride is for) and go into the trunk or saddlebag. A cover or simply some kind of ties after the flag is rolled around the pole would work too.

What I like about Big D's setup is once the receiver or flag holder is removed; there is no visible sign of the hitch being there.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts

You could attach a flag pole holder to a trunk rack or luggage rack. Not something you would want to ride faster than 12 mph with though. A common way of doing this is to use PVC pipe with connectors and pins or bolts to hold them together so they can come apart after the PGR ride (or whatever the Flag ride is for) and go into the trunk or saddlebag. A cover or simply some kind of ties after the flag is rolled around the pole would work too.

What I like about Big D's setup is once the receiver or flag holder is removed; there is no visible sign of the hitch being there.

I can attest, because I have his hitch set up, that it is very high quality work.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I can attest, because I have his hitch set up, that it is very high quality work.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
That's what I was looking for. Didn't know if there was a hitch type setup but this says there is. Is it a standard 1 1/4 hitch or something else? I'll contact the guy direct if I go that route.

I do fly big flags now for the American Legion and PGR and would hate to have to give that up just because I switched to a Victory.

I'll say this though. It's not something the average rider would want to do. There is a lot of drag back there that controls the bike big time.

So if you have problems with wind, especially cross wind, stay away from them and stick to the 9 or 14 inch flags. It's something I can finally do for veterans since the military wouldn't take me due to a bad back. I couldn't help my bothers then but I feel I am now even though it's just something small.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 3 flag setup using PCV pipe that sits in the pax seat and uses the trunk for support. I'll post pictures this weekend. As been said, it is susceptible to cross wind but I have road tested it up to 40 mph.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a 3 flag setup using PCV pipe that sits in the pax seat and uses the trunk for support. I'll post pictures this weekend. As been said, it is susceptible to cross wind but I have road tested it up to 40 mph.
If I remember correctly, someone I know did some calculations on PVC and determined they would be fine up to 85mph. But that is new PVC and as it ages it gets brittle so I wouldn't trust it for much over 45mph myself and be prepared to pick your flag up some day when the PVC breaks cause it's bound to happen getting over 45mph.

Fiberglass seems to be the best. That over aluminum poles even as the metal fatigues. Seen that happen but we were traveling at 75mph when that happened to one rider.

Nothing can stand those speeds for very long or for very many times. Not even fiberglass. 60mph is as fast as I'll go and prefer lower than that. If I'm leading it is lower.:D

·
Premium Member
13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here are the pictures I promised. The first one shows it all together. Next is on the bike with the top pieces removed for travel. Last, comes the base. It is held in place by bungies connected to the trunk supports and one around all three and the backrest. Everything comes apart so it will all go into a bag if you want. The cross pieces are glued to keep the poles from splitting apart. The tension of the flags being connected to the top and bottom extensions keeps them from separating, and pins in the bottom connection to the base keeps them in place.

You can buy PCV from the local hardware store and paint it to your desires (make sure you put something between the paint and the bike to keep it from rubbing onto the bike) or for a little bit more you can get some already colored from places like Furniture Grade PVC Fittings, Pipe and Accessories | FORMUFIT .

Just another option.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I totally understand where Harley was coming from in denying his claim. There is a lot of resistance when flying big flags on 2 wheels let alone 3.

He had the extra weight and resistance of the trike it's self. Added to that, his flags. And not just one or two.

I believe I read he had seven but they weren't all big but that's still a lot of extra resistance. Unfortunately all Harley got from this was negative reaction from most.

They have probably lost more money from lost sales than they saved by not just fixing the bike with a warning of not again.

But that's what you get when you have bean counters running a corporation.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I can understand there'd be more resistance, but what about a lot of mountainous terrain? Wouldn't driving up a lot of hills impose the same kind of resistance/load that a flagpole might?

·
Premium Member
13,046 Posts
I can understand there'd be more resistance, but what about a lot of mountainous terrain? Wouldn't driving up a lot of hills impose the same kind of resistance/load that a flagpole might?
Good point!

I guess it evens out in the long run because what goes up must come down but I do see your point.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts