Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently swapped out my short shield to the tall OEM shield for the winter. It does a great job blocking the wind, but man is it fog magnet… like no other windshield I have ever had. It wouldn’t be so much of a problem if I could see over it. Is there some special potion I can rub on it to lessen the attraction moisture has for this particular piece of lexan????

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
I recently swapped out my short shield to the tall OEM shield for the winter. It does a great job blocking the wind, but man is it fog magnet… like no other windshield I have ever had. It wouldn’t be so much of a problem if I could see over it. Is there some special potion I can rub on it to lessen the attraction moisture has for this particular piece of lexan????
You answered your own question right there. Why would you want to have to look through a windshield when it can be trimmed down for a clear view of the road ahead. Had a friend who had a tall w/s and at every stop he got out a rag and polish. It was laughable.:ltr:

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The height of the shield contributes to the superb job it does keeping sub freezing wind off me. For every inch that it might be shortened it would be worth less to me. I would just stay with my short flip screen before I started trimming this one.

I have owned a few bikes with shields that I could not easily see over and only under the most severe circumstances did I have a problem. This was always quickly remedied with a soft towel and a mile or two of pavement behind me.

I pulled my bike out of the 55 degree garage into the 35 degree morning, and before I got garage door down the fog started collecting on the shield. By the time I was two blocks away I was looking around the shield. Got on the interstate and up to speed and it lessened, but a square right in the middle remained.

This particular piece of plastic seems to attract the moisture. Is there something that you have used that will eliminate or reduce this problem?

·
Registered
193 Posts
The height of the shield contributes to the superb job it does keeping sub freezing wind off me. For every inch that it might be shortened it would be worth less to me. I would just stay with my short flip screen before I started trimming this one.

I have owned a few bikes with shields that I could not easily see over and only under the most severe circumstances did I have a problem. This was always quickly remedied with a soft towel and a mile or two of pavement behind me.

I pulled my bike out of the 55 degree garage into the 35 degree morning, and before I got garage door down the fog started collecting on the shield. By the time I was two blocks away I was looking around the shield. Got on the interstate and up to speed and it lessened, but a square right in the middle remained.

This particular piece of plastic seems to attract the moisture. Is there something that you have used that will eliminate or reduce this problem?
It seems like there are anti-fog solutions for car windshields or even Rain-X I think is also anti fog, however, not sure if they would damage Lexan.

Maybe a wax of some-kind?

·
Registered
418 Posts
If I can remember when I get off shift tonight I'll check for the brand name but I got some paste/spray anti-fog stuff for glasses at a bike week event and it works amazingly well on keeping fog from building up on my shield as well as glasses. It is time consuming to put on and does need reapplied on occasion but works. I also use plexus spray to clean and that does a good job at preventing fogging as well. If the shield starts to haze over time plastix polish/wax does a good job at making it clear again.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I can remember when I get off shift tonight I'll check for the brand name but I got some paste/spray anti-fog stuff for glasses at a bike week event and it works amazingly well on keeping fog from building up on my shield as well as glasses. It is time consuming to put on and does need reapplied on occasion but works. I also use plexus spray to clean and that does a good job at preventing fogging as well. If the shield starts to haze over time plastix polish/wax does a good job at making it clear again.
Cool, let me know.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Cat Crap. It works. Helps out with bug guts too.

It's a lot of work for a couple of days protection though, but it won't hurt the shield. Maybe put the bike out a half hour or so and let it acclimate some. That's free. Cat Crap ain't.

You know BBob that foggy windshield is part of the price of admission to a Jacksonville zip code. Fog is not an issue over here in the Rockies but it's a looong ride to fresh seafood. I would happily blast cockeyed through pea soup for a fresh slab of snapper dripping in mango sauce.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cat Crap. It works. Helps out with bug guts too.

It's a lot of work for a couple of days protection though, but it won't hurt the shield. Maybe put the bike out a half hour or so and let it acclimate some. That's free. Cat Crap ain't.
So Pop recommends poop???

Warm bike and cold air is supposed to equal clear shield.

·
Registered
100 Posts

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
Pop, don't kid yourself. You're prolly getting seafood just as fresh there in Potland as anyone living on our coasts. Its caught and bam, its frozen or refrigerated. Virtually all the restaurants on the Oregon coast get their seafood products from Pacific Seafood in Portland, 90 miles inland. That's a 180 mile round trip! Sure, there are some items that are caught or harvested locally during the season, like razor clams - yum, but for the most part, canned or frozen. But don't tell anyone.
BeoBob, have you ever tried riding behind a windscreen that you can look over? The updraft keeps wind off your face and can lift it above your head.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I kept the OEM shield on for maybe 100 miles before I went to my summer shield... pulled off the previous XC.

The summer shield is a tinted Gustaffson +3 flip. It looks great and does a fair job redirecting the wind. But get above say 70mph and the flip just doesn't push the air pocket over my head as well as I'd like.

I decided to go back to the OEM barn door for more protection when the morning temps dropped down into the 20's. It provides more overall wind protection and I don't get near as cold during the AM commute. It also reduces the negative pressure behind the shield, reducing turbulence and air pulled up from the tank area. All in all it is a great winter setup (for the 3 months I will need it).

After doing some research I ordered some Plexus polish. Man is that stuff expensive... Hope it works.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey, if you know where to go the seafood is always fresh around here. Like catch it in the morning, fry it in the afternoon.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
Hey, if you know where to go the seafood is always fresh around here. Like catch it in the morning, fry it in the afternoon.

Like I said, sometimes some items on your plate at a coast eatery were breathing just moments before. Ooh, that's a ghastly thought.
Yup, Plexus is my go to plastic polish too. Great stuff and yes, it works and works well. I keep a smallish can in my case.thumb up

·
Registered
100 Posts
I kept the OEM shield on for maybe 100 miles before I went to my summer shield... pulled off the previous XC.

The summer shield is a tinted Gustaffson +3 flip. It looks great and does a fair job redirecting the wind. But get above say 70mph and the flip just doesn't push the air pocket over my head as well as I'd like.

I decided to go back to the OEM barn door for more protection when the morning temps dropped down into the 20's. It provides more overall wind protection and I don't get near as cold during the AM commute. It also reduces the negative pressure behind the shield, reducing turbulence and air pulled up from the tank area. All in all it is a great winter setup (for the 3 months I will need it).

After doing some research I ordered some Plexus polish. Man is that stuff expensive... Hope it works.
I'm looking for a shield replacement as the tiny stock one on my XC 8-Ball is knocking me senseless. I have looked at the Madstad and the Gustaffson and like the looks of the Gustaffson over the Madstad. I'm 6'1" with a 30" inseam, I want to be able to look over the shield and was thinking of the +3 but after reading your comments I'm starting to go back to ground zero.

*Sigh* too many options and I don't want to throw away $600 trying to find the right shield.

Sorry for the thread jack.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Gustaffson is a large improvement over the OEM shorty. You won't get much better than that without adding lowers anyway.

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
The Gustaffson is a large improvement over the OEM shorty. You won't get much better than that without adding lowers anyway.

Won't leave home without those fork mounted wind deflectors. They keep me warm(er) and dry too.thumb up

1 - 20 of 23 Posts