Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I have a vision of dealers filling up with low miles used Indians they can't move. Oh wait that was trip to local dealer.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
The young kids today dont know anything about the "freedom" of riding. They have thier heads buried in the phone or some other nonsense. I teach an automotive technician class @ local college, I had 20 students last semester. Wanna know how many could drive a stick shift?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
The young kids today dont know anything about the "freedom" of riding. They have thier heads buried in the phone or some other nonsense. I teach an automotive technician class @ local college, I had 20 students last semester. Wanna know how many could drive a stick shift?

:ltr::ltr::ltr::ltr::ltr:

So what your saying is that in a few more years if you own a stick you won't have to bother locking your car?

Sort of like riding a motorcycle with a suicide jockey shift with a straight lid.
If you ride one chances are you also know the 4 other people in the city you live in who can ride one too.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Personally I would never own a car with a stick. Its stupid to have a stick in a car. I have driven too many great performance / HEMI cars that have automatic transmissions. Who would approve buying a 20 something a stick esp since cars are filling with tech now. There are a lot of dumb distracted kids but sticks dont matter.

·
Premium Member
6,146 Posts
Personally I would never own a car with a stick. Its stupid to have a stick in a car. I have driven too many great performance / HEMI cars that have automatic transmissions. Who would approve buying a 20 something a stick esp since cars are filling with tech now. There are a lot of dumb distracted kids but sticks dont matter.
My parents are 78 years old and just bought a brand new stick shift car .... I know ... Stupid right ? Hahahahah .... I think it is stupid to think that gearshifting is stupid .... 90% of the world drive gearshift ...

Edit .... Ok 90% of the countries where i work, hahahah

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
I like the control of shifting gears, less maintenance of a manual, and the mpg. Relying on tech to help you stay in the center of a lane, or brake for you, is flat out lazy. Half the people driving today just shouldn't. Their safety takes a backseat to their effing tech/apps/text messages. My wifes 5 speed consistently gets better mpg then the automatic counterpart. I believe it has jack sh!t to do with the transmission, it is about teaching kids to drive, and drive alone, not multitasking. My 16 year old step daughter had a choice between manual and auto, she chose manual. No trouble this far. Plus, sticks are infinitely more fun to drive.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
I just bought a 2018 CRV back in March, I had to turn off all the lane departure and adaptive cruise control. I did leave the accident collision avoidance on, say what you will, but it worked for me the other week when some jerk decided to try and cut off a semi truck and before I could get to the brakes the CRV did it before I even know what was going on. It worked.....

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
I just bought a 2018 CRV back in March, I had to turn off all the lane departure and adaptive cruise control. I did leave the accident collision avoidance on, say what you will, but it worked for me the other week when some jerk decided to try and cut off a semi truck and before I could get to the brakes the CRV did it before I even know what was going on. It worked.....
It did its job, but would you rely on it to pay attention for you? Don't get me wrong, the tech is amazing, but i believe too many people think that stuff gives them a pass to not pay attention. That's all. Glad you didn't get into an accident buddy!

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I have a 2016 VW Tiguan and it has the 2.0 Turbo I4 with 4-motion and 6-speed TipTronic automatic shift (I can + or - the gears). It's normally fine, but sometimes the car just doesn't know what gear it wants to be in. I'm glad it allows me to choose the gear I want, and also will auto shift if I don't want to be bothered. It's not the same as with a clutch, etc., but it's better than nothing.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
It did its job, but would you rely on it to pay attention for you? Don't get me wrong, the tech is amazing, but i believe too many people think that stuff gives them a pass to not pay attention. That's all. Glad you didn't get into an accident buddy!
I don't know at this point, it all happened so fast that before I could even start to go for the brake pedal the car was already applying the brakes.

I turned off all the other stuff just because this is the first vehicle let alone my first BRAND new one that I have ever had with this kind of tech in it, I was so use to doing it all myself that I turned it all off just for that reason, the adaptive cruse was cool but I just cannot get use to it. Lane departed stuff freaked me out so I turned that off and if the system cant see the lines well enough the system does not work.

I leave the accident collision feature on now just because of that, the sensor is built into the rear view mirror set up, so if someone does a quick turn in front of me without a turn signal, the system sees it and flashes across the dash and rings the alarm, soon as you get on the brake pedal it stops. it recognizes turn signals and brake lights along with head lights, it has auto high beams as well.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Wait till you some of the new tech that Honda is rolling out with, you all saw the bike that can park it self right? Or will follow or around till you tell it to go find a parking spot.

Yamaha and Suzuki has a bunch of stuff coming out in the next five years along the same lines.

Polaris and Indian...I have no idea, either they are being very tight lipped about everything or they got nothing in the pipeline.

We keep asking Honda when they are going to send us a squad of Asimo's to let em run lose in the dealership but have not heard back from anyone.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ofcourse sticks are popular. They make a CHEAP solution and the only really argument for me for one is in a performance application. Other than that its just a cheap solution. In America its stupid for kids. Why make another distraction with shifting.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
manual shifters FOREVER

i buy ONLY manual shifted vehicles, but had 2 slush box very nice older cars in the past. many advantages of a manual shift if your not too lazy or handicapped requiring a slush box!!! manufacturers push slush boxes TRYING to tell us whats best BUT i make my own decisions. todays vehicles have TOOOO much unnecessary junk on + in them IMO + removing said junk could cut prices + save accidents from distracted driving!!!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rent an automatic Hemi Challenger for the weekend. Sport Mode / You can also manual shift the automatic when you want to. You will love it!
Even My toyota Cadillac I can manually shift my automatic for performance reasons or for braking reasons. Times sure have changed.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
The CRV has a CVT trans in it, I will admit I was very nervous about it and that kind of trans in a automobile. So far it has been very good, I'm almost at 10,000 miles and I'll do a full fluid drop at that point, just wanna get all the break in stuff out of the trans and diffs and what not.

It has fake shifts that seem like it has gears, it seems to keep itself in the boost most of the time, and once the turbo kicked in it really surprised me the first time on my test drive. I kept one for four days and once I took it back, I custom ordered one.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
We keep asking Honda when they are going to send us a squad of Asimo's to let em run lose in the dealership but have not heard back from anyone.
I guess you haven't seen the news on that. Haha.

I will admit I've never driven a stick. Growing up parents having issues with carpel tunnel etc they gave up the sticks well before I reached driving age.
My truck has "manual" though. Lol

·
Registered
230 Posts
When I went overseas to Iceland for vacation and rented a car the only thing you COULD rent was a stick. Unlike the US most of the rest of the world drives a manual transmission.

I had a younger guy in my wife's old car, a 2005 Matrix with a 5 speed stick.. when I took off he looked at me and said 'guess you never have to worry about anyone stealing your car!" I thought he meant because it was 240,000 miles old but he was talking about the stick.. he said he'd actually never BEEN in a car with one before. My own son refuses to learn how to drive one.. he can ride a motorcycle but he said the idea of manually shifting a car was like having a hand crank on the front to start it.. totally unnecessary. I guess it's unnecessary until you in in a situation where you have no choice but to drive one....

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
I guess you haven't seen the news on that. Haha.

I will admit I've never driven a stick. Growing up parents having issues with carpel tunnel etc they gave up the sticks well before I reached driving age.
My truck has "manual" though. Lol
I knew they was shutting down the program, but not the development of the software and application of it, the rumor I heard was they are doing to try it in the medical and transportation field.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts