Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:Is there an honest Australian dealer out there that can give me a Full Breakdown of cost's on a Victory Cross Road. In the states a Cross Road cost's $14,495, but in Australia that same bike cost's $22,995 to 29,995 dollars. John. wac

·
Registered
185 Posts
agree with the strength of the aud the bikes should be cheaper. i suppose there is cost in compliencing for aus licencing, plus Australia would not have the volume of bikes going through...

Yep, i know...sure profit margin is up there..no different from harley, Apple, Microsoft and others..sure we are on the wrong end of the stick...

Dernelcheers

·
Registered
57 Posts
Make sure you do your research... the dealer i bought my bike from had it marked up $1k from the list price that victory advertised in Australia, let alone the US price.

I was priced nearly $2k for the lock n ride bags, got them for $1300 at a different dealer (without any haggling, first price they gave me)... which is still ridiculously expensive to the US dealers.

Sorry i can't be help, but good luck!

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
The price difference is hard to justify considering we can import a bike a damn site cheaper than buying local.
Price of freight, import duties and handling costs etc still dont add up to the cost difference.
I dont begrudge a bloke/dealership making a living but!

·
Premium Member
8,719 Posts
they gotta ship em out, pay rent on premises, employ staff, all the overheads.
Brisbane dealership are a great crew with very competent mechanics.
They gotta cover costs and make a profit too.
Vic parts here are at a premium price though.
I don't ride a Victory cos I'm wealthy, I just know a great bike when I ride one!
Do all my own maintenance too.

·
Registered
559 Posts
You could come to the States and buy one and have it shipped. Cargo by ship would be $1250-$1500 USD, by AIR Freight it would be $2250-$2500 USD. Food for thought!

·
Registered
530 Posts
kind of funny how the guy on the dark bike looks so sad or jealous of the other two.... maybe its that helmet....
:ltr:

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Then there is the cost of aus compliance,
Importer and dealer margins
:compare cross country 26495 to roadglide 33995
What is the us price on a roadglide?

I am happy. With Vic in melb. Always done the right thing by me
And I forgot gat

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
You could come to the States and buy one and have it shipped. Cargo by ship would be $1250-$1500 USD, by AIR Freight it would be $2250-$2500 USD. Food for thought!
You would have to make sure it was either new or spotlessly cleaned though. I looked into bringing a bike to ride when we went to AU and the inspection put me off. I would be Ok if you lived there but if the bike has any soil or seeds anywhere that they can find then it is impounded and you pay rent on it and for their contractor to clean it.

Now if you live there that's one thing. You can pick it up when you get through the red tape but we were only staying 3 weeks and had something gone wrong we could have spent our entire trip waiting for the bike to clear the agricultural inspectors and never gotten to see AU.

Just something to be aware of.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
If I bought a new 2015 cross country here in say july and put 16000K on it in AU. Then sold it in 2016. What would I expect to be able to sell it for in a reasonable amount of time. Say 10 days?

What touring model is in the most demand?
Just curious.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Lol the length of time it will take too sell it really depends on the price you will be asking..... I sold my Highball in a week but priced it $1000 lower than anything comparable in my area.

·
Premium Member
8,719 Posts
kind of funny how the guy on the dark bike looks so sad or jealous of the other two.... maybe its that helmet....
:ltr:
Yeah the dude on the black bike does look pissed off hey...
I don't think it's the helmet.
probably thought his black bike would pull all the chicks only to find out they go for bright coloured bikes.

·
Premium Member
8,719 Posts
Lol the length of time it will take too sell it really depends on the price you will be asking..... I sold my Highball in a week but priced it $1000 lower than anything comparable in my area.
Exactly, it's a great plan though..see OZ the best way possible and hopefully break even on the trip...plenty of Aussies I know do it the other way with muscle cars.
My Vegas is priced up high, but it's a rarity here, that colour, with all the extras.
And my backs a lot better now so I'm happy to keep riding her till the right buyer comes along.
Then I'll get a CrossRoads and option it up.
Just bought a Progressive 465 rear shocky off a fellow forum member so my rides gonna improve even more by the weekend:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Unfortunately for Aussies our Federal Govt has the NEW market well protected and we are not permitted to import NEW Bikes - even if we buy them ourselves OS they MUST be used and genuinely USED, not new and ridden a few miles to the freighter before export. If anyone here wants to Import one I suggest you get in contact with QLD Motorcycle Imports. Costs about AU$5-7k all up to import and get a bike Compliant with Australian Design Regs.... hence why they cost so much here.

·
Premium Member
8,719 Posts
Unfortunately for Aussies our Federal Govt has the NEW market well protected and we are not permitted to import NEW Bikes - even if we buy them ourselves OS they MUST be used and genuinely USED, not new and ridden a few miles to the freighter before export. If anyone here wants to Import one I suggest you get in contact with QLD Motorcycle Imports. Costs about AU$5-7k all up to import and get a bike Compliant with Australian Design Regs.... hence why they cost so much here.
Or give Rob a call at 'A to Z Imports' Currumbin Qld. 0755345957
tell him Victory Chris said to call and I'm sure he'll do you a great deal.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
:confused: Then why are we paying $10K-$12K more than US price and not $5-7K more. Do Aussie bike dealers need to make more money than US dealers on new bikes?:crzy: We are just being shafted because of little to no competition in the AU market for new American made Motorcycles:mad::mad:

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
:confused: Do Aussie bike dealers need to make more money than US dealers on new bikes?:crzy:
Yes- here they need to recover the FX loss, the additional freight, the conversion to Australian ADR, higher wages, higher rent.....did I miss anything?

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Yes- here they need to recover the FX loss, the additional freight, the conversion to Australian ADR, higher wages, higher rent.....did I miss anything?
When I last did the sums the difference did not add up when the cost of freight for a new bike should not be significantly different than that for a used bike, the conversion is not significantly different from Californian spec to Australian ADR (Tyres are changed not sure what else) Wages for a salesman/woman? as for rent well I find it difficult to see real estate values/rent more expensive here in AU than in major centers in the US. I can import and register a bike for a lot less than $10-12K.:confused: Again I dont see why Au dealerships need to make more from each transaction/sale than US dealerships!
Are you a dealer Kris?

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Haha....I wish :)

I think we get the raw end of the stick on everything mate- not just bikes. But what's the alternative? At least they are cheaper than Hogs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts