Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check your tire pressure. Bike sat for a week down 5lbs due to extreme heat.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts

·
Administrator
5,974 Posts
Check your tire pressure. Bike sat for a week down 5lbs due to extreme heat.

Sorry, tire pressure goes up with heat.
Pressure goes up with heat, that's true, but tires will lose more air volume when the pressure is up than when it is down. Air actually permeates the rubber and escapes, and at higher temperature air is escaping faster.

You're thinking about high and low temperatures affecting the same pressure in the tire. And yes, you are correct, the tire will look to be low in the cold morning, and will look to be decent at high noon. So higher temperature does increase the pressure by expanding the air inside the tire, but it also allows air to escape a little faster than low temperatures.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The guy at Discount tire explained it this way. Bike sits in hot garage, air pressure in tire increases but causes tire to lose pressure over time. Makes sense rear at 40 front at 38 both were down 5 lbs. from a week ago.

BTW if heat increases pressure without loss I should actually have to let air out since its been so damn hot here lately:)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Just helped my daughter buy her new car at Midway Chev in Phoenix. They are now putting Nitrogen in all of their new cars and trucks. Supposed to stop this air loss issue in the heat but then I asked what does it cost to refill if something happens to the tire - $25. :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
And if you happen to have a leak you have to find nitrogen to fill with. To me its a waste of time, and the people i know that have switched to nitrogen still see pressure fluctuation.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Super Moderator
5,034 Posts
My 21" front is forever loosing air same as a 21" I had on my Softail Standard.

·
Registered
50 Posts
This has been rehashed many times.
Since "air" is over 78% nitrogen, paying for pure nitrogen is a waste of money.

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
This has to be a global warming thread in disguise right AzDave?

The most important message is CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURE FROM TIME TO TIME... hopefully most of you do it more than I do, which isn't often.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope just a safety one. I was shocked to see that much air pressure loss. 5lbs on a car you may notice. 5 on a bike handling is terrible

·
Registered
55 Posts
I like your reminder AzDave.

Before buying my CC my brother, who lives in TX and has a CCT, was telling me about the loss of tire pressure on his bike and others down there. And from my decades of riding on sport bikes, I can attest to the fact that many a riders have ruined tires prematurely from low tire pressure, purely from neglecting to check. The assumption is, well, the tires were fine last week, or month, they should stay good. Nope. So now I do a weekly, or twice a week check of pressure. Nitrogen fills do tend to reduce amount lost, as the molecular structure is smaller and less escapes, but nonetheless it still does lose pressure.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Air is almost 80% nitrogen. If the other gases are truly leaking out faster it won't be long before a refilled tire will be almost pure nitrogen just by topping off with air. Save your money and try using the facts instead of the hype.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts