Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here is the run down...... it's a long one

I have an 01 v92c. I bought this bike from a guy that claims to be a mechanic. I consider myself a mechanic, however I used to work on cars, and then semis.

The guy I bought the bike from had told me he got it from a vet that could no longer walk, let alone ride. He told me the bike had been sitting for 2 years. He said it had a hiccup at higher speeds. I did not test drive the bike, but i heard it run and idle for a few minutes. On the ride home(30 miles), it started to die on many many occasions. Long story short it took me about 3 hours to get home. I knew little about victory's and due to the lack of information I went straight in to the obvious problems. I replaced the fuel pump, which i was able to find at autozone as well as the filter. The bike still had the same pressure loss issues when it got hot(fuel pressure would drop almost to nothing). After a few long night I finally figured out about the strainers inside the tank. I pulled those, flushed the rest of the system and replaced the hoses coming off the tank and the T.

Rode the bike to and from work twice. The final time the line from the T to the fuel pump broke. While pushing the bike 2 miles it fell over(we don't have sidewalks in houston). It landed on the highway bars in the grass. Just before I got home someone offered to help me. He gave me some gas, and since my battery was dead from cranking he gave me a jump start. The bike ran like it was sucking in air or the timing was off. Keep in mind it ran superb prior to this night.

After I got home, i replaced all the fuel lines, acid washed the tank, again replaced the fuel pump and filter. The bike runs but only with plenty of throttle and its blowing smoke like the mixture or timing is off horribly.

So, a quick recap.... Before it ran out of gas and before the jumpstart, the bike ran great. New pump, new tcs, new filter.

Since the incident, new pump, new filter, checked and cleaned the ground cable, tcs is good, new plugs, good spark, new leads on the fuel pump, new battery.

Here is where I have the problem, I tested the ohms, and output voltage on the cps. Both seemed good, but since the timing seems to be off I called the local dealership to order one since they are fairly cheap compared to a new ecm.... he told me that the cps either works or doesn't, it must be the injectors are clogged. Ok, so i pulled everything apart and cleaned those. Bike still runs like the timing is off.

Could it be the cps is going bad? I have done and tested or replaced everything I can possibly think of. The cps is my last hope before i consider internal engine problems.

One more thing, the night the bike crapped out, i started it the next day, and for a half a second it ran just fine and then started back with the timing issue. :confused:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And one more thing, if anyone wants the aftermarket fuel pump or fuel filter part number let me know.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And one more thing, if anyone wants the aftermarket fuel pump or fuel filter part number let me know.
Fuel pump is made by airtex master. Sold at autozone, 1 yr warranty. $83.00. E2000 is the part number.

I will have to double check on the fuel filter when I get a chance to head back to autozone.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Ok, so here is the run down...... it's a long one

I have an 01 v92c. I bought this bike from a guy that claims to be a mechanic. I consider myself a mechanic, however I used to work on cars, and then semis.

The guy I bought the bike from had told me he got it from a vet that could no longer walk, let alone ride. He told me the bike had been sitting for 2 years. He said it had a hiccup at higher speeds. I did not test drive the bike, but i heard it run and idle for a few minutes. On the ride home(30 miles), it started to die on many many occasions. Long story short it took me about 3 hours to get home. I knew little about victory's and due to the lack of information I went straight in to the obvious problems. I replaced the fuel pump, which i was able to find at autozone as well as the filter. The bike still had the same pressure loss issues when it got hot(fuel pressure would drop almost to nothing). After a few long night I finally figured out about the strainers inside the tank. I pulled those, flushed the rest of the system and replaced the hoses coming off the tank and the T.

Rode the bike to and from work twice. The final time the line from the T to the fuel pump broke. While pushing the bike 2 miles it fell over(we don't have sidewalks in houston). It landed on the highway bars in the grass. Just before I got home someone offered to help me. He gave me some gas, and since my battery was dead from cranking he gave me a jump start. The bike ran like it was sucking in air or the timing was off. Keep in mind it ran superb prior to this night.

After I got home, i replaced all the fuel lines, acid washed the tank, again replaced the fuel pump and filter. The bike runs but only with plenty of throttle and its blowing smoke like the mixture or timing is off horribly.

So, a quick recap.... Before it ran out of gas and before the jumpstart, the bike ran great. New pump, new tcs, new filter.

Since the incident, new pump, new filter, checked and cleaned the ground cable, tcs is good, new plugs, good spark, new leads on the fuel pump, new battery.

Here is where I have the problem, I tested the ohms, and output voltage on the cps. Both seemed good, but since the timing seems to be off I called the local dealership to order one since they are fairly cheap compared to a new ecm.... he told me that the cps either works or doesn't, it must be the injectors are clogged. Ok, so i pulled everything apart and cleaned those. Bike still runs like the timing is off.

Could it be the cps is going bad? I have done and tested or replaced everything I can possibly think of. The cps is my last hope before i consider internal engine problems.

One more thing, the night the bike crapped out, i started it the next day, and for a half a second it ran just fine and then started back with the timing issue. :confused:
Was the TPS reset? By the way, never jump the bike again, even though it seems that you've gotten away with it this one time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was reset when first installed. I know not to jump a bike but still a mile from home and having pushed this thing 2 mile in the grass already I just didn't care.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Maybe the TPS setting is off. I wonder if it may have a torn throttle body adapter. That is a common problem too.Although a cracked throttle body adapter should make it run lean.Have you cleaned the throttle bodies?That will make it run rich and run rough eventually fouling plugs. Is your air filter clean?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Clean air filter clean throttle bodies. There is nothing that could possibly be wrong with the fuel system from what I can tell. Keep in mind, the bike ran great until it ran out of fuel. It fell over on it's side. I am leaning on the cps however since everything is new and the bike hardly runs.

One extra note I installed a power commander before I had this issue. The power commander will not work properly unless the tps is working properly. I have disconnected it for diagnostic reasons however.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I'm not sure on the 01 if it has a MAF sensor on the filter housing or not but almost sounds like contaminated sensor. If it tipped may e then it happened. Just a thoight

·
Registered
208 Posts
Boy i wish i can help but i got nothing. Maybe the guru of victory's Rylan Vos will read your post and chime in and help you out.

Thanks for the info on the pump and filter, I'm sure that will help some
of us out at some point.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am going to reset the tps again when I get home in the morning. From all my experience however, tps will not cause the timing to be off the way it is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh and I tested the voltage on the map sensor. Per 5 lbs of vacuum I get a volt drop as per spec.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I reset the TPS twice. Even though I knew that couldn't be it, i still had a glimmer of hope. There is not a single sensor on the bike that can cause the timing to be off like it is(going by my auto and tractor experience), other than the CPS. I am going to have to order the crank position sensor and hope for the best. It's only $47, but I really didn't want to wait a week to get it. Oh well, guess I will have to let the bike sit a little bit longer.

I swear to god, this had better work because I have no desire to tear into the motor. :crzy:

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Maybe I missed it here. How do you know the timing is off? It could be as simple as having the wrong map.
When I first bought my Kingpin, it would run ok if I could get past warm up. It would pop and fart and spit black sooty crap out the pipe. I fought with it and the dealer the first couple weeks I had it. Like I said though, if I could get it to warm up without fouling the plugs it would run good if I ran it at highway speeds. I fouled 2 or 3 sets of plugs during this process. Once fouled, replacing the plugs was the only way to get it running again. The dealer finally rigged up 02 sensors and figured out it was running way rich, and that the tps had lost it's programmed setting. It was like 38 points rich. They adjusted the TPS and it ran great after that.
If I were you, I would take it to a dealer and at least have them put it on the digital wrench. Should cost about $100 to check it. That would tell you if the CPS is bad too. I just hate to see a guy throw a bunch of parts and money at a situation that could be fixed for possible less, and maybe get you back on the road quicker.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tim's. The maf is the same as the map sensor. Already tested and giving good readings.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe I missed it here. How do you know the timing is off? It could be as simple as having the wrong map.
When I first bought my Kingpin, it would run ok if I could get past warm up. It would pop and fart and spit black sooty crap out the pipe. I fought with it and the dealer the first couple weeks I had it. Like I said though, if I could get it to warm up without fouling the plugs it would run good if I ran it at highway speeds. I fouled 2 or 3 sets of plugs during this process. Once fouled, replacing the plugs was the only way to get it running again. The dealer finally rigged up 02 sensors and figured out it was running way rich, and that the tps had lost it's programmed setting. It was like 38 points rich. They adjusted the TPS and it ran great after that.
If I were you, I would take it to a dealer and at least have them put it on the digital wrench. Should cost about $100 to check it. That would tell you if the CPS is bad too. I just hate to see a guy throw a bunch of parts and money at a situation that could be fixed for possible less, and maybe get you back on the road quicker.
I get what you are saying, but with or without the power commander, the bike ran great once the fuel system was fixed. I have a very hard time believing that just because it ran out of fuel it screwed up the timing. Plus from what I have read, the power commander does nothing with the timing. Just air/fuel mixture.

As for the timing.... I have checked everything else, the bike runs, but only with plenty of throttle, and its missing. Plenty of smoke comes out while running, and it smells of fuel very badly. It would smoke just a little even before the bike conked out and even after I added the power commander and changed the maps several times. I am going to throw 1-$40 part at this bike as I am almost 100% certain the timing is causing all of my problems. Worse case, i return the part, and move on to bringing the bike to the dealer and paying the $85 to hook it up to the computer. I work nights so being able to take the bike to the dealer is very difficult if I want to sleep that day.

The bike runs the same with or without the power commander. It ran fine before this incident, and it even seemed to run very rich. Too far advanced timing will cause this, plus blacken the plugs like they were before. To me the cps is the smartest and cheapest choice, and if it is in fact ok, will only rule this out 100% and then I can move on to something else.

Am i wrong?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great great news out of Houston tx. Got y new cps from mancuso powersports today. Got home from work, threw it in and she fired right up. I appreciate everyone's support and suggestions. Now since I cut my airbox out, just got to figure out a solution for the air filter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ITG Megaflow JC20/65

Great great news out of Houston tx. Got y new cps from mancuso powersports today. Got home from work, threw it in and she fired right up. I appreciate everyone's support and suggestions. Now since I cut my airbox out, just got to figure out a solution for the air filter.
Not sure if you finished the filter. This is what I have on my 04 Vegas. It is a good filter and if cared for lasts a long time. Here is a link to a US based distributor out of California.

http://www.itgfilters.net/JC20-Single-Carburetor_c23.htm

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 23 Posts