Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to put a new tire on and when I've got it up I'm going to cut my link down. I'm wanting to go remove 1" from the stock and get me 2" lower. But I've been reading that a lot are running quite a bit of air in their shock to keep from bottoming out.

I run 10 psi now with it all stock and the ride is great. But if I lowered it and have to add a bunch of air to keep from bottoming out, it will just raise it up, so what's the point.

Between me and the stuff in the bags im about 250.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
im at 35 psi at -2 " and have rubbed the tire in the rear frame. im about 200 lbs.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
13,262 Posts
If you go 1" it will only lower your bike 1". You can measure that when you have bike jacket up.
If you do 2" you'll have a up-hill looking bike and only have 3" clearance on the bottom of the motor..

If you cut your rod I don't remember the size but its perfect size for tapping SAE threads in it. Cut a bolt or get a threaded rod and screw a 1/2" in each end and then run a weld around it. It will never break one you.

OK air in the shock I'm about your weight and I have 40psi in shock I still get a smooth ride cause you'll find the dips going over rial road track and weird spots in the road that will cause you to bottom out.
You can start out with 40psi and take out what you don't need. Its better to be on the safe side to start out.

·
13,262 Posts
I'm about to put a new tire on and when I've got it up I'm going to cut my link down. I'm wanting to go remove 1" from the stock and get me 2" lower. But I've been reading that a lot are running quite a bit of air in their shock to keep from bottoming out.

I run 10 psi now with it all stock and the ride is great. But if I lowered it and have to add a bunch of air to keep from bottoming out, it will just raise it up, so what's the point.

Between me and the stuff in the bags im about 250.

Thanks!
before you change tire put 30psi in your shock and measure to see how much it change it. Measure from bottom of bags to ground before and after. If you can sit on it and get some one to measure it to.

·
13,262 Posts
here I have 1" out of rod with 40 psi in shock. Does it look high

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
VJ what do you have for a lowering link? bike looks good like that by the way ! i believe he is going darkside? cant remember which tire though. when i changed my tire my new one is 1.5" in circ larger then my worn avon. so not much difference.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
I put the adjustable link on mine. I lowered the bike 1.5" by making the link 3/4" shorter than stock. I ride 2up 95% of the time and we are on the heavier side. I keep 55 - 60 psi in the shock. I never bottom out. the belt never rubs. I still lay her down pretty good in the corners and round-abouts. The bike still handles great.

·
13,262 Posts
I put the adjustable link on mine. I lowered the bike 1.5" by making the link 3/4" shorter than stock. I ride 2up 95% of the time and we are on the heavier side. I keep 55 - 60 psi in the shock. I never bottom out. the belt never rubs. I still lay her down pretty good in the corners and round-abouts. The bike still handles great.
I have to ask where are you mearureing where you lowered it?
I measured from bottom of motor to ground and have 4" stock is 5"

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
ok VJ i finally measured mine, been meaning to for a long time , 40psi in shock , should be two inches lowered in the link and my wife holding the bike upright mine is 4 3/4" to the lowest point of the motor.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
I measured the link itself. The stock link is 12" from center hole to center hole. I set the nes link at 11-1/4", thus lowering the rear end 1-1/2".

·
13,262 Posts
Jim
with bike straight up and down measure from the bottom of the motor to ground. Stock is 5"
Keep in mind you lowered the hole bike not just the back of the bike.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
a guy on facebook recently posted a good way to do this, he has the adjustable link, he knows what he needs for air so he set that, he rides 2up mostly and pulls a trailer, he set it to 70psi and through a little window under the side cover measured as he lowered it, he dropped his 2 1/2" and has no trouble.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts