Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone out there who has made their own lowers for their CC, what mounting brackets did you use?

I just ordered a windshield (+3 euroflip Gustafsson) which will be here this week. They very kindly said they would ship me some scrap plastic to match the shield so I could fabricate my own lowers.

Just wondering about the mounting. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Pics always welcome, too!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Memphis Shades has some mounting kits you could use. Not sure if they list the X bikes yet or not. If they don't I do know they have them for the Hammer which should work.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Lowes has been kind enough to give me pieces of plastic out of their scrap bin for free and I made my lowers from that.
Then I sprayed them with black tint.

The clamps are 2 1/4 Dia Vnl .281 Hole cushion clamps or P clamps. A bag of 5 clamps costs $7.31 from Fastenal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used the Memphis Shades brackets: mem9890 and made my own lowers. Went to a sign shop and I bought a piece of Lexan 3/16 in. thick. I gave him my pattern and he cut them out on a router I think and he did a much better job than I could with a saw. $20.00

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How significant of a different in air management have you guys noticed with your lowers installed?

I just ordered the windshield so that will be going on in a few days when it comes. The lowers will take me a few more days to make and figure out the clamps. Just wondering how much air was cut down after the lowers went on vs. just a new shield.

Thanks for the bracket suggestions so far.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I think the wind issue is about 75% lower and 25% Windshield.

I have a Gust +2" and lowers. The WS helped by maybe half of the upper portion of the problem.

The homemade lowers helped by at least half of the lower 75% portion. My wind is much much better with this combo. I still may consider the new forged bar lowers from reading the thread on here but NOT needed. I may get a little additional benefit of wind management but mostly for the speakers.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Smoke, I think your assessment of 75% lowers and 25% windshield is spot on.

On my XR, I am currently using the Vic fairing. I have also had 3 different windshields on it. None of those options has made as much of a difference as pulling my forged bars off. The soft lowers I had on in the wintertime made the biggest difference. I can't wait to toss the bars and lowers on and try them out with my fairing.

I think the true issue is the distance from whatever you are using as a windblock to the rider. For example, yesterday when I was on my FLHTP...which has a windscreen that hits me at exactly the same height as the one on my XR and gives me no buffeting....I pushed myself way back on the seat almost to the rear fender. Guess what. I had a ton of very familiar wind buffeting. Move back in the position that Harley intended and the buffetting was gone.

I doubt there are too many people willing to cut 6" out of their frame though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts