Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
13,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford just announced that it will move its Michigan plant to Mexico.
They say the plant workers make $60 an hour with benefits.
Now Mexicans will have jobs and make $8 dollars an hour
never owned a Ford and for sure never will now

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Ford just announced that it will move its Michigan plant to Mexico.
They say the plant workers make $60 an hour with benefits.
Now Mexicans will have jobs and make $8 dollars an hour
never owned a Ford and for sure never will now
SIXTY DOLLARS an hour??? that just can't be true. This musta been an April fools joke.

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
Here's a news article.

Click.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
That Burden rate seems low. I'd guess it's much higher than that if they really counted up everything.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Ford is moving only one plant (at this time) out of the many they have in Michigan. So Ford is not moving "its Michigan plant to Mexico". They are moving a Michigan plant to Mexico. This doesn't make it right or wrong but it does make the true situation a little clearer. In an attempt to counter some of the bad press they are getting about this, Ford also pointed out that they spend more than 80% of their annual capital expenditures in the USA. Again, this doesn't make the move of one of their Michigan plants to Mexico right or wrong but, if true, it helps put things in perspective.

G'day,

Vinish

Reactions: Astra

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
My Ford was made in 1971 and Im sticking with it :)
351 4V made in Cleveland Ohio and crated out here fully assembled.
Coupled to a 4 speed toploader made in the good ol USA. As well as the 9 inch Detroit, she's Aussie car with a Yankee heart and soul.
Tough strong dependable.

Reactions: BenD and LILMAGS500

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
GM has moved a bunch of stuff to Mexico. Ford building vehicles in Mexico is nothing new though. I had a 1989 T-bird and as well as a Ranger that were both built in Mexico. My 2002 Chevy truck that I just sold was made in Canada. My 2014 silverado was assembled in Indiana but if you get the same truck in a crew cab it will be made in Mexico. I used to be all about buying American but I am slowly getting to where I just don't care because the companies I am trying to support do not care. There are only two "American" companies left (Chrysler has been foreign owned by the Germans and now the Italians for years) and if either one of them were such great companies then they would build every thing right here and not build factories in China and Mexico. I still can't figure out how Toyota and Nissan can build their trucks right here in the US and employee US workers but GM and Ford are trying to do the opposite.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I was listening to an NPR radio show where they were interviewing a big wig in Ford. He bragged that the Explorer was 100% American made. I thought that was impressive. I hope its true.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I still can't figure out how Toyota and Nissan can build their trucks right here in the US and employee US workers but GM and Ford are trying to do the opposite.
It's because Toyota and Nissan don't have the union contracts hampering their plants. They put their plants in southern, non-union states where they can pay their employee's $15 an hour vs the $60 that the American auto manufacturers have to pay. They were new to manufacturing in America and were able to cut out the UAW before they even opened their plants. The UAW is so entrenched in Ford and GM the only way to lower their costs is to move their plants to Mexico.

I don't like it. I rather see the vehicles made in America employing Americans. But I get the decision. It would be hard to be competitive when your factories cost 3 times more and only half as efficient as your competitors.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Ford small car selling for 20 thousand dollars...
The Equivalent small car sold by [Add a name] selling for 19 thousand which one will most people buy....

We Have Met The Enemy And He Is Us!......
[POGO]

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
It's because Toyota and Nissan don't have the union contracts hampering their plants. They put their plants in southern, non-union states where they can pay their employee's $15 an hour vs the $60 that the American auto manufacturers have to pay. They were new to manufacturing in America and were able to cut out the UAW before they even opened their plants. The UAW is so entrenched in Ford and GM the only way to lower their costs is to move their plants to Mexico.

I don't like it. I rather see the vehicles made in America employing Americans. But I get the decision. It would be hard to be competitive when your factories cost 3 times more and only half as efficient as your competitors.
Good answer , I would like to add our Government pounding them into the ground tax and healthcare wise isn't helping either . At least Ford didn't take taxpayer money to stay in business .

·
13,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I feel a big part of it is the UAW. yes fifty or sixty years ago we need them. Now there power has gotten so big and is hurting the American people. Yes I'm all for making money but I would given up something to keep my job here. So I blame the UAW along with Ford

Reactions: bodymanpainter

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I blame the UAW along with Ford
Ford has to stay profitable , or the Government will step in and give them our money like they did for GM ...... Only , Ford wont take it .

Reactions: Ghost_Rider

·
Registered
2,407 Posts

I agree. I also know two different people who work at two totally different foreign car plants in TN. They are doing much better than $15 an hour! You also have to take into account that the cost of living is much lower in most parts of the south than some of the northern states. That is why so many retirees are moving in here from up north, low cost of living and not tax on retirement income.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts