Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed something yesterday whilst showing a mate my new CrossCountry.
The XCs triple clamps situate the fork legs behind the steering head stem.
Whereas the Vegas etc. has the fork legs ahead of the headstem.
Just sayin'
must be a reason
ok the floor is open......

·
Registered
202 Posts
The touring model Harley frames are set up the same MBX (Road King, Electra Glide, Ultra Classic etc). It just makes for much easier steering and low speed maneuverability, which is why they were always favoured as police bikes in the USA.

Maybe Victory went with the similar design in an attempt to generate sales in that area and get a piece of the fleet market.

The design certainly works well in my opinion!

Russ.

·
12,983 Posts
Eric Buell was the one that came up with that design

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
I just checked the tripple tree

CCT = behind
Jackpot = front
Hammer = front

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
123 Posts
It lets them get more trail, for stability, without using lots of rake, which helps avoid front wheel "flop" in low speed turns. HD tourers have had it since the first shovelhead engined rubberglide tourers of about 1984 (can't remember the alphabet soup model designation).
1600cc Kawasaki Nomads had the same, not sure about the current generation.
If you check really closely, you will see that the steering stem and the fork tubes aren't parallel.
High speed stability, with responsive, easy lowspeed turn control, that describes X bikes handling characteristics perfectly.
It can present styling challenges, because the steering head has to be a long way forward of the fuel tank, to allow the fork tubes room to drop back in tight lock very low speed turns, but this is only apparent in naked bikes, so Cross Roads and HardBalls, rather than Cross Countries, Road Kings rather than Street Glides.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts